“Enter At Your Own Risk!”
Review of La Nuova Grotta

La Nuova Grotta
Ranked #1,109 of 1,426 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Castello
London, United Kingdom
“Enter At Your Own Risk!”
Reviewed April 3, 2011

The biggest regret I have is not reading the reviews before going into this vile place. Having been lured in by what looked like a characteristic, romantic restaurant we were quickly brought back down to earth. Firstly the waiters, lets just say they gave the impression they would have rather pulled out their own teeth than be serving. On entering the restaurant, after a grunt from the waiter he pointed to a table and walked off. Charming. After being given a different menu to the €17 p/h for 2 course meal offered outside, we asked the waiter if we could see the 'special' menu, to which he grunted, walked off returning later to throw the cheaper menu on the table. I ordered the chicken masala and my boyfriend ordered the Seabass - from the a la carte menu! Anyway, my chicken arrived, barely warm in what can only be described as chicken gravy. When the waiter had finished de-boning the fish, I told the waiter that my food was cold, he took my plate without saying a word and walked off. Low and behold, 1 minute later my plate arrived straight out of the microwave with the heated, brown salad to match! It was completely inedible! We got through the Seabass and when the waiter came to collect our plates we pointed out that the chicken was disgusting to which a different waiter took the plate and walked off without a word (again). When we asked for the bill, we were told that the chicken had been taken off the bill, well thats nice, we thought. Only to get the bill which included an €80 SEABASS!!!!! Unbelievable! Take off the chicken and wack it onto a seabass for one! Do not go here. Rude. Disgusting. Dirty and I wont even mention the toilets. Actually, how do I say this without putting you off your food...? Have you ever seen the toilet scene in Trainspotting?? Well, it may have been filmed in here! I do hope this review stops at least a few people having such a terrible evening in what is a fantastic, beautiful city.

• Visited March 2011
3 Thank Laura2911

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Wittlich, Germany
“Tourist Rip-Off”
Reviewed March 6, 2011

Please everyone who would like to enjoy the tourist trap fantasy that is Venice, Italy don't go to this resturant. They lead you in with false prices, service, and atmosphere. Then when you get the food it is barely warm with no flavor that even adding slat does nothing to give it a boost and the wait staff starts to avoid you, until you beg for the bill. Then final straw was the bill 151 euro for nothing. I thought I was going to flip tables they are sneaky and made the rest of my visit unbareable.

• Visited March 2011
3 Thank Ronnie09123
Savannah, Georgia
“DO NOT GO HERE.”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

We were in Venice for New Year's Eve. We were staying in the Castello section, near St. Mark's and passed this restaurant & asked if they were taking reservations for that evening. To make a long story short, it is my goal in life to make sure no tourist ever goes to this restaurant ever. HUGE RIP OFF. I could go on, but I won't. I emailed them there must of been a mistake about our bill & have received no reply. I have been going to Europe for 25 years, and nothing like this has ever happened before. It left a bad taste in my mouth. Fortunately, Venice was magical, but I don't think I will be go back there.

• Visited December 2010
2 Thank FrancesDecatur
Richmond, Virginia
“Avoid this restaurant!”
Reviewed October 19, 2010

This restaurant targets elderly American women who appear tired and hungry and cleverly leads them down the wrong path and slaps an outrageous bill on their table
after they have waited two and a half to three hours for their lunch. Our waiter explained that they had a special of flounder that day that could serve two people. We decided to try the flounder and began our long wait. Finally the flounder arrived . The portions were scant (some with bones) , and the veggies were mushy, having been cooked in the fish liquid. We ate quickly since by that time we were famished. Then we began our long wait for the check. When we got the check, the entire room was void of patrons except for us. (This we decided later was purposely planned.) Of course, we protested the bill of 243 euros because I had specifically asked how much the special of the day cost. The waiter pointed to the menu page where the fish entrees were listed. The costs were 7, 8, or 9 euros. Naturally, we assumed our lunch would be 10 - 15 euros per person. The waiter understood a lot more English than he let on. We asked to see the owner or manager. The waiter marked off the cover charge and the gratuity, which brought the bill to 2ll euros, We were still amazed at the cost . Because we didn't know what else to do,we reluctantly paid the bill with a credit card. I had seen the owner or manager leave the restaurant before our bill came, I waited for him outside the restaurant. I told him we felt we had clearly been taken advantageous of because we were elderly American women. He made some derogatory remark about Americans and refused to do anything about the problem. I told him that if he ever came to our country, I certainly hoped he would be treated fairly and courteously. He angrily replied that we could return for a free meal that night. We said we only wanted the bill corrected. He walked off. We would never have set foot in the restaurant again and advise other tourists to stay away from Ristorante La Nuova Grotta. My sisters and I feel that they lie in wait for tourists to scam.

2 Thank bwsister3
Mississauga, Canada
“don't go”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

we were n Venice in June2010 and went to this restaurant. it had one of those 4 languages menu and looked OK except that it was empty. That should have been our first clue but we just thought that it was early in the evening. But no, it was terrible , I had mussels and I could smell them coming and not a good smell. I ate only a few a had o stop. The waiter could not have cared less and did not inquire why I did not eat my dinner.After we payed and left we went to another place and had pizza to replace that awful taste that was left in our mouths.
So saved yourselves and do go there.

2 Thank spider767