“Being Venetian for an evening”
Review of Enoteca al Volto

Enoteca al Volto
Ranked #114 of 1,426 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Description: Founded in 1936 in the heart of Venice, in the Calle Cavalli street, very close to the Rialto bridge and the Rossini cinema, our wine bar offers its customers a cosy and peaceful atmosphere, with a familiar touch given by the wooden decorations which are the same that characterized the ancient "bacari", the places where people stopped to have a "cicheto" (small portion of typical food) and an "ombra de vin" (glass of wine).
Munich, Germany
“Being Venetian for an evening”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Always good, always friendly. Yummy antipasti and good wines, great pasta and special beers. A helpful recommendation: make a reservation, as the place is a Venetian institution.

• Visited October 2013

• Greek first
  • Thai first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looked inviting but looks can be deceptive.”
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Whilst on our stay in Venice, My husband and I passed this little bar several times during our stay. From the outset it looked very inviting and friendly so we decided to go in one night. We were greeted and I queried if we could just have a drink and we were welcomed to sit in the window seat of the establishment.

Wondering if I had to go and order at the counter or if it was table service I approached the counter to ask and was assured that they would come to the table, so sat back down. We waited for about 10 mins and then the waitress practically threw the drinks menu onto the table and proceeded out the door without even looking at us.

A little uncomfortable but we looked at the drinks menu anyway. Another 20 mins went past and lots of locals came in and were served immediately, my husband then stood up to attract the attention of the waitress and as she passed he said excuse me and was completely blanked and ignored.

Needless to say we immediately left. It might be the oldest or quaintest establishment in Venice but it is only friendly if you are a local. Not recommended at all.

• Visited September 2013
Canberra
“Amazing little place”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I ate here twice - once with a friend, and once alone. The waiters are friendly and its definately worth asking them what they recommend and what is fresh. Everything we tried was just lovely and the house wine great value. Get there early to get a seat in the lane way and watch the world drift by.

Visited July 2013
Otawaa, Ontario, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Horrible Service - Mediocre Food – Be sure to know what you are ordering”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I chose to visit this restaurant as it was a “Top Pick” in our Italy Lonely Planet guide. I was sorely disappointed.

Finding the restaurant wasn’t a problem once we figured out navigating around Venice. When we arrived we were seated outside in an alleyway that was poorly lit.

Our server was one of the rudest I have encountered in all my travels, making us feel like it was an imposition for us to ask to eat at the restaurant.

If you don’t speak much Italian, don’t bother going to this restaurant because you won’t understand the menu and may make the mistake we did. We ordered a fish dish with a corn side dish. We were served what looked like a cornstarch paste the consistency of apple sauce and a white runny pureed fish paste that reminded me of canned tunafish mixed with mayonnaise. The salmon raveloi we ordered tasted alright, but the fish definitely came from a can. The glass of wine my husband ordered tasted like it was from a bottle that had been opened a few weeks ago.

Overall we were sorely disappointed with this “Top Pick” and couldn’t bring ourselves to try any others on our visit to Venice. Instead, the safer idea was taking a look at the food on customer’s plates before sitting down at any other restaurants in town. This was a much safer choice.

• Visited August 2013
Adelaide
“Better than Most in Venice”
Reviewed August 13, 2013

In the past, we haven't had good food experiences in Venice but this little restaurant wasn't too bad at all. It's hidden down a narrow alleyway with only four outdoor tables which is where we chose to sit but inside looked quite nice too. The service was OK considering they seemed a little run off their feet but we certainly didn't feel neglected or forgotten. The food was very enjoyable as were a couple of glasses of nice wine that we tried. The prices seemed a little high for what we received but I suppose it is Venice. Overall, a pleasant evening.

• Visited August 2013