“A simple but good light lunch ”

Trattoria Aquila Nera
Ranked #1,203 of 1,493 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

I was horrified seeing the awful reviews of this place. However we had a very nice simple light lunch.
A litre of wine, water, pizza and ravioli came to under 50 euros.
We didn't expect much but couldn't fault the service or food.
The issue is translation! Ideally you should translate the menu yourself (if you can) as the English may not be spot on.
They have nice outdoors seating with crawling ivy providing shade in an area off the beaten track.
Long story short a good place to get a light lunch and cheap wine to keep you going.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We visited midweek, late October when the restaurant was half full. We ordered two pizzas. When they had not come after half an hour we asked how long they would be and were told one minute. Fifteen minutes later my wife finally received hers. I asked how long mine would be and the same waiter again told me one minute. When I said to him that he had said that to me already and why said this time be any different, he became agitated and told me to take it up with the boss, which I did and the situation deteriorated into a heated three-way discussion, with the waiter also shouting at his boss. We were about to leave when my pizza arrived. By this time an hour had passed. Neither of our pizzas were better than satisfactory.
We were not alone. A family of four on the table next to us had their pizzas arrive at three different times and two Canadians sighed as they left complaining about how long they had waited.
I can't imagine how they cope when the restaurant is anywhere near busy. Avoid!!

Reviewed October 2, 2013

We looked to avoid the hustle and prices in the big plazas and squares but wanted to eat outside. We ordered a cappuccino, margarita pizza (8.5 euros) and spaghetti with clams. All were tasty and fairly priced. My only complaint is that service was slow. There were a few tables filled when we arrived but the place was packed by the time we left. I suspect the slow service contributed to the long waits. It was at least 10 minutes before they cleared our plates at the end of the meal and the time it took to wave down our waitress for the bill.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife found pieces of glass in her dish of pasta, so I bought it to the attention of the waiter. He said nothing and walked away. I went up to him requesting the check and asked why. We were not charged for the meal, but the restaurant did not seem to care.

1  Thank Chris E
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I am one of those people who is completely turned off by restaurants that are visibly less than clean. So, my review is colored with the tint of this feeling. I did not like this restaurant. The floor was dirty, the menus were sticky, the bathroom..... and the food was edible. I would not eat here again. Yes, it was inexpensive by Venetian standards but I would have been happier with a pasty from one of the bakeries, or a gelato. SKIP IT