“Opulent high design, well sited and friendly”
Review of AD Place Venice

AD Place Venice
Ranked #39 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed April 4, 2013

If you’re fond of gorgeous fabrics in purple and green, gilt mirrors, silver sofas, and aspirations towards Versace, then this hotel is for you. It’s actually just on the right side of kitsch, and, anyway, opulence is what you look for in Venice. I wouldn’t indulge in this kind of style at home, but it’s glorious for a day or two.

In fact, nothing about AD Place is thoughtless or careless. So consciously well-designed is the hotel that you might find yourself asking for practical cutlery at breakfast, since what passes for a spoon isn’t much good for eating a bowl of cereal. That aside, and the execrable scrambled eggs (I’ve only once seen worse, a kind of scrambled egg ‘loaf’ at a hotel in France) this is a comfortable, clean, joyful hotel, tucked away in a backwater just behind La Fenice. The staff are kind and helpful. I would happily return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 28, 2013

I loved everything about the atmospheric AD Place. The funky ambience, my room, the lounge bar that doubled as the breakfast room, the charming lighting in the evening, the chocolates, delicious breakfast, on tap beverages around the clock, the location, the mix of modern and traditional furniture and fittings . In other words, loved everything about it and not forgetting the sunny January weather and the gondoliers singing below my bedroom window too.

I was expecting amazing and I was not disappointed (except for the non arrival of the prepaid Happy Hour on most evenings). Breakfast was superb with plenty of yummy choices. My room although on the small side was lovely and cheerful. The Bathroom was pretty good too.

Location was fantastic for easily getting around the sights of Venice, but it was very peaceful and felt safe at night for a single lady.

One word of warning if you are not too agile. This is an old palazzo and there are three flights of stairs to climb as there is no lift, but I found I did not have too much trouble even though I am in my my mid 60's and have arithritic knees. There is a sort of chair lift thingy but for luggage so no lugging heavy cases up and down.

Having stayed about 25 times in Venice over the past 10 years, sometimes at an old favourite hotel or somewhere new, The Ad Place now goes from somewhere new to top of my favourite hotels to stay at in Venice (providing I go in the low season as I fear my budget might not stretch to it in the Spring through to Autumn).

Room Tip: Don't worry, your room will be gorgeous which ever one you get allocated
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon last summer (the end of August) for three nights after our cruise. This was the perfect was to end our honeymoon. The staff was really nice, we loved the location of the hotel, LOVED our room and everything about it. We felt like our room was something out of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was the nicest hotel room we have ever been in...I even liked it better than the hotel rooms at the Wynn and Encore in Las Vegas. Such a small, quaint, charming hotel. I loved how they surprised us our first night with a bottle of champagne, fruit, nuts and other snacks. My husband and I also loved the breakfast room and our room was right outside of it. I would recommend this hotel without reservation and I am a very picky person when it comes to hotels. I did a lot of research before choosing the AD Place and I was so happy with my decision. We hope to go back one day.
p.s. we loved how the gondola's woke us up every morning with the men singing and on their guitars. So romantic!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 15, 2013

A beautiful tiny hotel, very central, nicely decorated with a good ambience. The staff could not have been more helpful. The buffet breakfast was good, and you could enjoy free tea, coffee and cakes all day. The bed was supremely comfortable. I would definitely stay again.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We stayed there during our winter holiday and it was super From the service to everything, everything was perfect. the rooms were richly furnished and luxurious, the views from the room were great and the service was warm and very friendly. Breakfast in particular was delicious! With a variety of food suitable...

2  Thank nassoor771
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Everything was perfect from start to finish. We were upgraded to the Marzo suite, with windows opening onto a canal backing onto La Fenice with singing gondoliers going past. The staff were very freindly and thoroughly spolied us. Can recommend the Ad programme (drinks and snacks) for 25E each for the duration of your stay. Rooms were beautifully decorated and hotel was in an excellent location. What more can we say -apart from when can we return?!

Room Tip: make sure you book a room/suite with a canal view -marzo was fabulous
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We were extremely pleased with Ad Place. The most outstanding feature of the hotel was the staff! Beatrix, Alessandro, and Neya were so very pleasant, helpful, kind, and friendly. The rooms were lovely and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent. The hotel's location was extremely convenient.

The hotel features a water taxi landing, but the water taxi service seemed uncertain about how to get there! On the day of our departure, the hotel staff kindly contacted the water taxi service to ensure they knew where to go.

Room Tip: The "ottobre" room was stunning. Reaching it means taking a couple flights of stairs, but...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends