“Great boutique hotel in quiet but handy location”
Review of AD Place Venice

AD Place Venice
Ranked #38 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed November 2, 2012

We had a great stay at the AD Place. The staff were exc exceptionally helpful, especially as we had to change our booking after our arrival to accommodate an extra family member who joined us unexpectedly.

The rooms are very comfortable and quiet. The only negative was that the beds were firmer than we're used to. We could watch the gondolas floating by just outside our window - very romantic!

The hotel is only a few minutes walk from the closest water taxi stop on the Grand Canal and also only a few minutes walk from Piazza San Marco.

Breakfast was very good with enough choice in the buffet to keep us happy and espresso coffee made to order.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with windows that open onto a canal.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
adplacestaff, Direttore at AD Place Venice, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Dear guests,

thank you for writing this beautiful review, we appreciate it.

Reviewed November 2, 2012

The Ad Place hotel is less than 10 minutes walk from St Marks Square but its location beside a little backwater canal is calm, peaceful and off the main tourist drag.
I was staying in a Superior Single room which was definitely on the small side but well furnished- my only criticism is that the carpet was a bit stained but that didn't really bother me as to be honest I spent very little time in my room. The bed was comfortable (mattress slightly on the firm side) and the quiet location and thick curtains ensure a good night's sleep.
The bathroom was great- very clean and stylish and with a really brilliant shower (and I'm quite hard to please in the shower department- its one of the main criteria I judge hotels by!)
My other very important criterion is the breakfast and again Ad Place scored very highly. Breakfast is served from 7.30 to 10.30 and includes 2 kinds of eggs, bacon, a variety of meats and cheeses, cereals, fruit, yogurts and a large choice of bread, cakes and pastries. There is a juicer to squeeze your own juice and a great coffee machine. Hot drinks, fruit and pastries are also available in the breakfast room throughout the day, which is a nice touch.
Finally I must mention the brilliant staff- very friendly and unfailingly helpful. They even improvised a pair of bin bag waders for me when the exceptionally high tide caused flooding on the day of my departure.
I hope to return to Venice and if I do I will definitely stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: None of the single rooms have a canal view if this is important to you.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

thank you for writing this review. We will pass your comments to the property about the carpet and the mattresses, also nice to know that the improvised "wellies" had a success! We hope you'll return to Venice,

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We stayed the last 3 nights of our 2 week honeymoon in Venice at AD Place and glad we saved the best for last. We were wisked to the hotel by boat porter from train station, bags delivered to front desk by porter and then to our room by hotel. Check in was a breeze and good recommendations for dinner. After dinner, around 10 PM, front desk clerk (Kamal) who was not there when we checked in welcomes us and acknowledges that we are on honeymoon Says he will bring us a bottle of sparking wine "after 10 minutes" and ends up bringing HUGE tray of fruits and peanuts with the bubbly. Hotel location was great for wandering and sightseeing and the room was absolutely beautiful. We had signing gondoliers below us on the canal and nice view of them from our 2nd story window. Our last night was again with a complimentary cocktail.

Whole hotel was 1st class. Great decor, fantastic breakfast and the staff was the best. AD Place was fantastic!

For a great experience, take the #1 Vaporettor (water bus) from San Marco to Train Station then wander back. You will cross Rialto Bridge twice - once under, once over and get to see lots of nice parts of Venice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
adplacestaff, Direttore at AD Place Venice, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear guests,

thank you for choosing us as your hotel in Venice and for calling us "the best", we are glad you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

I stayed 2 night at this hotel in a room called April. the room is good in size and clean. the bathroom is terrible. Small and narrow you can't turn around in the bathroom you can only walk in on side. The shower is small as well when you are in the shower there is no chance to turn around to face the wall you have to face the door. There was a leaking the toilet and I ask the receptionist to fix it and they put a towel to stop the leaking.
the furniture is so old. there is no elevator in the hotel. There is some noise from the canal in the morning and all the day.
The hotel staff is helpful, as they helped my in booking a taxi boat to the airport and they brow my a water boot to walk during the flood. The breakfast is nice to start your day.

1  Thank Majedma10
adplacestaff, Direttore generale at AD Place Venice, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Guest,

first of all thank you for pointing out the good size and cleaniness of the room, the helpfulness of our staff and the quality of our breakfast.
However, I feel a little embarassed commenting your negative observations.
I think that the location of the AD Place is a good spot to explore the city, departing from the most central neighborhood in the most central distict in Venice. The 2 canals surrounding AD Place are very trafficked by gondolas and by singing gondoliers, besides other small typical boats; honestly we thought that was a positive side of being located here.
Venice is an old town, built with ancient houses and palaces. The palace where AD Place arises is one of those, and for this reason we cannot build an elevator as it's protected from the historic heritage. The detail displayed in the picture you posted in your review is a perfect example of how we kept the original structure, mixing and integrating it with the new furnishing and tapestry. Mirrors, four poster beds, and stone bedside tables are all new elements (the hotel was opened in 2009) that got into advanced aging process, specifically wanted to highlight Venice and its glorious history.
My last consideration about the leaking toilet is that the receptionist put a towel to immediately stop the dropping, and 2 hours later the maintainer fixed the damage.
My only regret is that I was to read these things after you left when you could tell them personally while you were our guests or even when I was helping you and your wife to reach safely and dry the taxi boat stop during the "high water" flooding.

All the best,

Alessandro Volcan

Reviewed October 25, 2012

We had stayed there for four marvellous nights! it was simply one of the best we've stayed in. A gorgeous views for the upper suite. It was different than any other hotel we checked-in during our honeymoon. Spacious and stylish. I have nothing but praise for the staff service.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear guests,

thank you for choosing us and spending your honeymoon at AD Place. We are glad you enjoyed your stay, we will pass your comments to the staff.

Best Regards

Reviewed October 23, 2012

I rarely spend time writing hotel reviews, but this hotel deserves all of the praise it has received from previous travellers! I cant thank the staff enough for making our stay so perfect :) Never have I felt so welcome in a hotel in the middle of a bustling city. Service was personal and the staff went out of their way to accomodate any request. The square was less than a 10 minute walk and it was great to get away from the huge crowds at the end of the day. Our room was beautifully decorated with a large four-poster bed overlooking the canal (not at all noisy and if anything, the passing gondolas just added to the Venetian experience). All in all, forget all of the big, overpriced and impersonal hotels on the lagoon; this is a great find! If only there was an 'AD Place' in every Italian city...it would make planning my trips much easier rather than spending hours trudging through endless hotel reviews. My only worry is that by writing this review, more people will become aware of this hidden gem and I will find it even harder to book a room when I undoubtedly return.

Dear Ms. Dearlove,

thank you very much for writing this review, we are glad you enjoyed your stay and please contact us directly if you mean to come back, we promise you won't find it harder booking a room with us!

Best Regards

Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights in June 2012 as part of our honeymoon. It was our first trip to Venice and we couldn't have picked a better hotel. From the moment we stepped through the door we loved everything about this hotel. Amazing location within walking distance of all the big sites the hotel is a lovely quiet cool and relaxing retreat. The staff were very helpful advising us on where to go and where to eat their tips were so useful. The decor was really quirky and different with lots of different areas to sit and relax. We loved the roof top terrace which we had to ourselves one afternoon. Our room was beautiful with a window overlooking the passing gondolas. As we were on our honeymoon we were given a lovely platter of fruits and snacks with a bottle of champagne in our room which was a lovely touch. The breakfast was a help yourself buffet which had plenty of choice and a delight each morning. I just wish we could have stayed longer, if we go back to Venice we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JodieJane11
adplacestaff, Direttore at AD Place Venice, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2012

Dear Guest,

we thank you very much for taking the time to write this review. We are flattered by your words and we are glad we made your honeymoon even more beautiful.

Our warmest regards