“WARNING: TOURIST TRAP! ”
Review of Da Mamo

Da Mamo
Reserve with
Da Mamo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #192 of 1,494 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Description: This cozy little restaurant in the heart of Venice right near Rialto Bridge is a must if you want good food at reasonable prices, a great ambiance, and the opportunity to see people from all over the world.
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Let me start off by saying this such a let down.

1) tried to make reservations via phone all day but no one answered (about 7 calls total)
2) went online and made one. Never was emailed a confirmation.
3) walked in, no line, open tables, seated right away, no reservation needed (930 pm)

4) Ordered the pumpkin ravioli "ravioli zucca"... You know the one for 20 Euro that trip advisor is going nuts over... The presentation was average, but no IT'S NOT PUMPKIN RAVIOLI. we asked the staff what was going on and they said it's just a pumpkin sauce (it's NOT).
It's pasta, filled with ricotta with a yellow sauce they call pumpkin sauce on top. It tastes nothing like pumpkin. It was well cooked, but bland and leaving you asking What in the....

5) ordered the da moma special pizza, it's supposed to come with all these toppings, but it had 5 olives and 5 small pieces of meat on the entire thing, crust was burnt and soggy.

I am truly upset that I fell for this, trip advisor is usually on point.

In short, tourist trap, overpriced average food. Will NOT RECCOMEND !

REPEAT DO NOT GO HERE, IF YOU DO, LOOK AT OTHER PEOPLES FOOD AND FACES FIRST!

3  Thank bradk_1749
Ale_Pal_VE, Proprietario at Da Mamo, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Dear BKublin
1) telephone out of work for 3 days!!!..external black out not our fault, it happens every 5/10 years
2) email sent at 20,15 of the same day!!!..we are not 24hours/day on line with last minute customers!!!
3) arrived at 21,30 of a Monday night in November...normally seals wish to have dinner at that time in November...what you mean No Line??? nobody told you that there is people queing up all year round.
4) Ravioli alla Zucca cost € 16,00... not 20,00!!! and it was well explained in the menu...you asked us if it was jellow sweet peppers sauce???... do you have an idea of difference between sweet pepper and pumpkin???
5) Da Mamo Pizza is one of the favourites because it is made with a special homemade sausage very tipycal in the region.

and the n° 6) answer is that once inside you started to be a very difficult Guest, belonging to the 1% guests (see tripadvisor number of reviews) that do not understand were they are and expect much more from a simple and classic Italian trattoria.
We are proud to be on the Tripadvisor Top List since 2010 and this means that the thousands Guests we have every year, are not so stupid like you suppose them to be!!!
Worst wishes
Alex

Write a ReviewReviews (3,204)

Reviewed November 11, 2013

First of all if you don't speak Italian don't bother going. Myself and partner are both American and they were beyond rude to us. Not only would they pay attention to everyone else in the restaurant before us, but they downright would not even come over to our table. So pretentious it was ridiculous.

The food itself was so average it was disappointing. I am definitely a foodie so I hold high standards to food, and the tripadvisor ratings boasted so highly I expected great things. I got the pumpkin ravioli and when it came I found out that it was ricotta ravioli with cream sauce. There was no pumpkin in this dish. Partner got the pizza da mamo which had the least amount of toppings I have ever seen on a pizza. It might as well have been bread and sauce. Both were about 15 euro and tasted like frozen food.

Also, the Restaurant was so hot I had to excuse myself and take a minute outside.

If you consider yourself a foodie or someone who knows good food, seriously avoid this place. Not worth the money at all.

1  Thank Ali M
Ale_Pal_VE, Proprietario at Da Mamo, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Buongiorno Ali M
No English spoken???... I am not a novelist but I am pretty sure that all readers understand what I am writing now!!!
this is your second negative review!!! same visit, two persons,two comments, two very personal opinions, absolutely out of this world!!! I already answered to your negative points and do not want to repeat me, they both look very hysteric and unjustified compared to other thousands readers, (frozen Pizzas???!!!... it is absolutely offensive, means that you really do not undertsand nothing at all about pizza)
Unfortunately you are still allowed to vilify with impunity, our serious and constant work in search of Guests' satisfaction.
Nevermind... sometime we do make some mistakes and try to improve but we also must take into account the possibility of welcoming the wrong guest ...even if it is very difficult to bear the angry ones!!!
regards
Alex

Reviewed November 10, 2013

I think I died and went to heaven. The pumpkin ravioli is amazing! This has to be the friendliest and most attentive restaurant in Venice. The food was delicious and very reasonably priced. There was no waiting for anything; need another glass of wine, the waiter was there to get you another glass. It is a small restaurant and does get packed so get there early. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

we found this restaurant very pleasant and the staff very friendly and nice. i had a steak which was one of the more expensive mains on menu but was really worth the €29 .it was cooked perfectly , tender & delicious. i was surprised in fact as a good steak is not that easy to find.my partner had a pizza which was also lovely. all in all a nice experience and will go back on our next visit to Venice.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

This is a smashing restaurant hidden away close to the Rialto bridge in Venice. We went twice during our weeks holiday. Compared to some other options in Venice this is definitely a smart choice and good value. Its very busy so either get there when it opens or book if you don't want to wait. The menu gives a good range of choices and the pizza is really well made. The pasta is lovely - especially the spaghetti with cuttlefish ink . Waiters are really friendly and helpful. For desert the Tiramisu had a great mix of coffee and bitter chocolate spinkles.

1  Thank HelloBoss