“Best onion soup!”

Ranked #214 of 1,494 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Reviewed January 21, 2014

We came here just after arrival to Venice. It was night and we were hungry! So, we found the closest place to our hotel and decided to try it. We were really surprised by the prices, which were incredibly low for the place just next to the San Marco!

So, we got some hot dishes - I got onion soup, and my wife got a steak. Steak was tender and well sorted - with potatoes and fresh vegetables.

And my soup... God it was brilliant! A lot of flavor, a big load of bread and, I believe half of a head of parmesan cheese!
But, there is a little downside - there is no view to the streets. Well, there is, but it is... so... in two words not inspiring.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was skeptical about eating out in Venice as I've heard its expensive for what you get, but this place proved me wrong. It's a charming little restaurant with amazing food at a decent price. My bill was under €20 and I had three delicious courses. The staff are friendly and the atmosphere was warm and intimate. I highly recommended this establishment and will definitely be going there again!

Reviewed January 13, 2014

In a city renowned for sheer tourist volume and an equally numbered array of choices when it comes to finding simple sustenance to over-the-top artistry Al Chianti stands out as a truly wonderful choice. This small, family-owned "Ristorante e Pizzeria" far exceeds what comes to mind with those words. You will find a warm and graceful environment steps from the tourist center where you can relax, enjoy superb choices and be welcomed by Lovely Anna and her sons the "showman" Alberto, and the incredibly kind Marco. The service is warm and always served with a wry side of humor, the food is superb and the value is unmatched by the restaurants that neighbor in the encircling San Marco sestiere. In a city of so many choices, I am rarely inclined to visit the same spot twice - especially when my stay is only a handful of days. I offer this as rare exception - dining here two of my four day stay in Venice. I recommend Al Chianti without exception, and will be sure to visit again when I return.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

We went to this restaurant last year. It was closed for new year so we went to a disaster called Ristorante e Pizza which happens to be next door, near San Marco square. Al Chianti is an experience. Service super, food super, value great for what one gets and the ambience unhurried, making for a memorable meal. Wedine out much and this stands out. A recommendable restaurant experience.

Reviewed January 1, 2014

A great restaurant! The owners/staff were incredibly friendly and attentive. The food was fabulous! I'd definitely visit this wonderful restaurant again.