“All a bit of a rush”

Ranked #613 of 1,472 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Castello
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I'd just arrived at the C'a Dei Dogi Hotel and after a 10 hour train trip I didn't feel like venturing out for dinner on my first night. The info card in the room said the adjoining restaurant was open till 10pm but when I called at 8.15 to see if I could get a table I was told only if I went straight down as they were about to close. The waiter greeted me with 'You'll have to hurry,' which put a bit of a dampener on things to start off! I had the Gnocchi with Gorgonzola sauce and, as other reviewers have said the gnocchi itself was very tender. The sauce was good but not extraordinary; the bread rolls were dry and very ordinary - a bit like McDonald's rolls, rather than what I expected of Italian bread! I ordered some of the house red wine and it was too sweet for my liking. By Venice standards it probably wasn't overly expensive but I won't be hurrying back.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had lasagne and it was overcooked a little. My wife had black spaghetti and it was very rich and ok but not great. The price was a little high but not too bad for Venice. The apartment that we had for three days by the same owner was great and the breakfast was very good. The service was very good.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was our first dinner in Venice and we chose this restaurant mostly because we were staying at the hotel (Ca dei Dogi) that is associated with this restaurant. We arrived around 7:30 p.m., which I thought was not too early or too late and the place was empty. The service was fine but the food was not great. I didn't enjoy my dinner and would not recommend this restaurant to others.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Turns out that Venice is NOT known for its food. Sad, but true. We lucked into Taverna die Dogi around 1 pm in mid June and were all alone. We did not expect much but the chicken was excellent and the grilled vegetables very good. Soon enough 2 or 3 tour groups walked through the doors, but we were seated in an alcove which had 5-6 tables and not bothered at all. Service remained attentive and friendly, and we were pleasantly surprised by the meal. Deserves to be ranked higher than Restaurant "da Mamo" in Venice, for sure.

1  Thank Discerning12385
Reviewed May 3, 2013

As we were staying at Ca' dei Dogi, we decided to take advantage of the 10% discount offered in the adjoining Taverna. This was to be our 25th anniversary meal so we wanted something a little more special and were not put off by it being more expensive than the other restaurants we had eaten in (even taking the discount into account). The staff were very welcoming and, although there were some tour groups being accomodated, we were given a cozy corner well away from them and the service never suffered from them being there. From recommendations here, we tried the black spaghetti and gnocci and both were excellent. I followed this with a filet steak which was perfect and there was enough to share - just as well given that my wife chose the mixed fried fish only to discover that it was predominantly calamari and squid rather than fish and could not eat most of it (this may be obvious to some but it certainly wasn't to us). Yes, it was our misunderstanding and we certainly didn't complain but I mention it here in case others might be similarly unaware. We had been greeted with a glass of prosecco each when we sat down which was a lovely touch although we did laugh when we later saw that we had been charged for it. We followed this with a half litre of the house red which was good value.