“A good average restaurant”
Review of Taverna dei Dogi

Taverna dei Dogi
Ranked #618 of 1,470 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Castello
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I had lasagne and it was overcooked a little. My wife had black spaghetti and it was very rich and ok but not great. The price was a little high but not too bad for Venice. The apartment that we had for three days by the same owner was great and the breakfast was very good. The service was very good.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This was our first dinner in Venice and we chose this restaurant mostly because we were staying at the hotel (Ca dei Dogi) that is associated with this restaurant. We arrived around 7:30 p.m., which I thought was not too early or too late and the place was empty. The service was fine but the food was not great. I didn't enjoy my dinner and would not recommend this restaurant to others.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

Turns out that Venice is NOT known for its food. Sad, but true. We lucked into Taverna die Dogi around 1 pm in mid June and were all alone. We did not expect much but the chicken was excellent and the grilled vegetables very good. Soon enough 2 or 3 tour groups walked through the doors, but we were seated in an alcove which had 5-6 tables and not bothered at all. Service remained attentive and friendly, and we were pleasantly surprised by the meal. Deserves to be ranked higher than Restaurant "da Mamo" in Venice, for sure.

1  Thank Discerning12385
Reviewed May 3, 2013

As we were staying at Ca' dei Dogi, we decided to take advantage of the 10% discount offered in the adjoining Taverna. This was to be our 25th anniversary meal so we wanted something a little more special and were not put off by it being more expensive than the other restaurants we had eaten in (even taking the discount into account). The staff were very welcoming and, although there were some tour groups being accomodated, we were given a cozy corner well away from them and the service never suffered from them being there. From recommendations here, we tried the black spaghetti and gnocci and both were excellent. I followed this with a filet steak which was perfect and there was enough to share - just as well given that my wife chose the mixed fried fish only to discover that it was predominantly calamari and squid rather than fish and could not eat most of it (this may be obvious to some but it certainly wasn't to us). Yes, it was our misunderstanding and we certainly didn't complain but I mention it here in case others might be similarly unaware. We had been greeted with a glass of prosecco each when we sat down which was a lovely touch although we did laugh when we later saw that we had been charged for it. We followed this with a half litre of the house red which was good value.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

The gnocci al gorganzola is to die for. They use a special cheese and the gnocci are puffy and light. The tiramisu was fantastic as well- very moist and creamy.

The place is not too hard to find. Simply face the Basilica in San Marco Square. Go to the left and follow the street until you come to the small canal where you will turn right and then go over the bridge where you will have an opportunity to take a great picture of the other side of the Bridge of Sighs. Follow the street, passing by a Chinese restaurant on your right, until you come to a widened area with fruit and souvenir stalls. Take your very first right turn down a narrow street. The Taverna is visible from this corner, and will be on your right. I guarantee you will not be disappointed. Prices are reasonable for a place so close to San Marco Square. It can get quite busy (a sign it is a popular place to eat) and so service can sometimes be slow, but all the more opportunity to enjoy the ambiance of the place, if you can manage to get a seat.

I had the gnocci, a quarter liter of house wine, a small bottle aqua naturale, and tiramisu for dessert, and it came to about 31 euros. Worth every cent. I have eaten gnocci all over Venice, having stayed here for nearly 3 months, and this place has the best I've found anywhere.