“Great location - but tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Antico Panada

Antico Panada
Ranked #296 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Great location - but tired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

I thought the location of the Hotel was excellent - reasonably close to one of the ferry stations (for transporting luggage - only one pedestrian bridge to cross) - and almost backing onto St Mark's square.
Although the location was good the Hotel itself was a bit tired with dingy decor and furnishings in a rather cramped room. Mosquito infestation was equally troublesome, so if you are considering using - take plenty of repellant.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank dave m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel approximately 30 years ago which was obviously before one could research accommodation on the internet. I was young and stupid then and, as it was the first time I had travelled abroad, I did not have anything to compare it to. The fact that I booked it again indicates that am not older and wiser, just older! I wouldn't say that the staff are rude, just that they are disinterested in their patrons, there is a 'care factor' of zero. We arrived late and after checking in inquired if there was somewhere we were able to get something to eat. After 2 flights with Alitalia and having only had a tiny packet of savoury biscuits, we were famished. The concierge told us to go around the corner as the restaurant may still be open. As we arrived they were shutting up. What he could have imparted was that the restaurant is part of the hotel and shares the same kitchen. A sandwich would have been much appreciated! The rooms have the same wallpaper that was up when I last stayed except that more of it has since peeled off or fallen down. The central heating in this establishment is so hot one feels like they are in a sauna. Windows can not be opened due to the invasion of mosquitos. There are no fly screens or mosquito nets to stop the onslaught. The breakfast is free (not inclusive) so one can't exactly complain about it. Patrons are squashed into one section of the restaurant only and literally sit shoulder to shoulder, boarding school style. I would presume that this is to make table service easier. As table service is almost non-existent this defeats the object. The décor throughout is kitsch and generally tatty. On the positive side, water pressure is good and hot water abundant. Bathrooms are spacious if not exactly clean. The beds are comfortable. Often management and staff make one's stay enjoyable and memorable. Our stay was memorable, I will not be booking accommodation at this hotel again. The best things about Antico Panada are its proximity to St. Mark's Square and the sign outside it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Adi552

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

Durham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 14, 2014

I recently booked this hotel through booking.com and found their attitude rude & very unhelpful. When I booked it it was made clear that no monies would be taken until I arrived but preauthorisation of my card would be just to support my booking. Unfortunately, money was taken from my account and trying to get it refunded has been a nightmare!!!! Booking.com have explained this as preauthorisation & not money taken......to me this is still taking my money under a different disguise!!! The hotel have ignored me so I have cancelled my booking: I am still waiting for my money!!! I booked it for the location but be warned, don't expect the customer service!!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
4 Thank DonnaYoung1
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

Could not believe our luck with the location of this hotel, it is literally a stones throw from St Marks Square making all of Venice easily accessible. On arriving at the hotel late in the evening we were told the main hotel was fully booked but they had rooms across the alleyway and up some windy steps. It felt like we were going into a residential property and I was very nervous as what to expect, until we opened the door into the most beautiful suite decorated in red and gold, two large windows, and lots of stunning antique furniture. it was beautiful. We had to go for breakfast in the main hotel which was fine and I didn't mind being separate as I felt like we had our own apartment in the middle of this beautiful city. Lovely, lovely stay

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2014

We booked a romm on internet, when we arrived to the hotel, the receptionist is not professional, is impolit,he tried to made fun of me,he don't respect the costumer, in some words, he represent the hotel, and he give a very bad impression of the hotel.
We didn't feel that we are in safe there, the room is in another bulding without a reception, so may everybody get into the building, we don't know if this building is for the hotel or are an apt.
The porter isn't professional.
In some words, this hotel is horrible, if you wanna book an hotel in Venice, try another.
I give this hotel 0 he don't deserve any rate.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Antoine_124
IRELAND
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2014

Panada comes up trumps on 'LOCATION'
it is bang on if you want to be close to the
epicenter of Venice. This hotel is the 'Stonesthrow'
from St Mark's Square etc etc etc
Room tight, small and comfortable, good bed so good
snooze. Breakfast a bun-fight plenty of sharp elbows
to avoid but, staff very helpful. The charge for internet
use of 3.50E did not impress me. The hotel bar was only
good for a nightcap, that said, still good deal for the money.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for in Venice, upgrades are available at a price ! but if one is out and abou...