“Great location, tiny hotel, no hotel services”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Venice
BHR Boutique Hotel Locanda Ca'Valeri
Ranked #329 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We got there by following directions we printed out from the hotel site, from the San Zacceria water taxi stop. Make sure you print out their directions and follow them explicitely, or you will never find this tiny (6 rooms) hotel, which is located in a back alley. When we got to the hotel the door was locked and no one was in the lobby (it was the middle of the afternoon). There were two buzzers by the door. We had to keep ringing them for about 10 minutes until someone finally answered and buzzed us in. The key was on the front desk and our room was across from reception. The free Internet didn't work and the room phone only rang in reception, where no one was. So I went outside, buzzed again and was told the Internet password, which didn't help. After going back and forth a few times it was clear that Internet wasn't working. Two days later the owner finally showed up, reset the router and now we had Internet. Not great service in my book. The room itself was pretty nice and a comfortable size, the free breakfast was skimpy and only included a few rolls, juice and coffee, nothing else. The location was the best part, near San Marco and boats to everywhere. If you are totally self sufficient and don't require reliable internet service or standard hotel services (no one there to help with directions, bookings, restaurant recommendations, check-in, wake up calls, etc) then this a good budget choice. If you want a hotel with services look elsewhere. If I were to go back to Venice I wouldn't stay here again.

Room Tip: Only stay here if you are totally self sufficient and require no hotel services.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Elliot S

Reviewed September 16, 2011

The Locanda Ca' Valeri is close to Piazza San Marco and to the San Zacceria boat stop. Yet it is just distant enough to give you the feeling that Venice is yours and that you're not part of the tourist masses. The shops and restaurant in the area are different from those closer to the main tourist attractions. Ca' Valeri is also very quiet! Just around the corner of the tiny ally you'll find a lovely square with a good restaurant and the perfect local bar for your morning coffee with brioche. (Remember that in Italy prices are different for consumptions standing at the bar and sitting down at a table.) Service in the Locanda is limited. You'll find your key waiting for you on the counter with a note with your room number. My room was clean, decoration charming, antique, Murano glass lamps (see website http://www.locandacavaleri.com/). Bath room modern, elegant. Air conditioning low noise and good. The Jacuzzi wasn't working, neither was the TV. I didn't really mind. It was wonderful to lie in the large Jacuzzi tub even without the hydro-massage and a few days without television is always a relief. Davide the manager/owner promised he would have both repaired the day of my departure... Do check if he did! My colleague and I had breakfast in the bar around the corner on our way to work. When I needed to call a restaurant one evening I found the phone book in the office at the entrance and called myself. I would recommend this small, quiet, charming place to anyone who doesn't need to be looked after. If you want more service another hotel might be more convenient for you. I want to clarify that service wasn't bad. The people were in fact very friendly! But they were there only part of the time (never in the evenings). I loved the simple style and really enjoyed my stay. I'll go back the next time I go to Venice. The price for the room seemed reasonable 180 euro/night.

Room Tip: The room on the top floor has a terrace.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 17, 2011

We had two rooms one for ourselves and one for our daugthers and they were clean and the beds were very comfortable. It is close enough to walk to the centre but far enough away to get away from all the crowds.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 4, 2011

Hotel within walking distance of major sites but far enough away to escape the crowds. We stayed in a triple room which was spacious, overlooked great courtyard but beds were too firm. Most of the staff goes out of there way to help it's guest.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Locanda Ca' Valeri for two nights and wish it had been more. The hotel was easy to find following the directions on the website. We were amazed when we walked in the door to our room. We were expecting a very basic budget style room for what we had paid and were shocked at how nice the room was and how big and updated the bathroom was. This was by far the best value that we found during our two week trip! I doubt that you will find a better value in Venice.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mkl333
Reviewed March 20, 2011

Like most small hotels in Venice this one is difficult to find but a friendly local took pity on us.
Strangely we were then confronted with a locked entrance door to the hotel and the owner then conversing with us via an intercom.
We were then let in remotely and picked up our keys which were on the reception desk and found our room again via the intercom instructions
Lovely room with fabric wall coverings and a stunning bathroom very quiet and close to all the normal tourist attractions.
We met the friendly owner the following morning when he delivered continental breakfast to the room as he explained that the normal area for breakfast was in a small courtyard outside but it was too cold to use.
We enjoyed our 2 nights at the hotel and would certainly recommend

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2010

everything perfect. Perhaps a bit hard to find, but finallly the location was perfect instead at first time looks a bit far from city centre.
We choosed a standard room but one of the suites was empty form that they so they assigned us the suite at the roof for the same price.
The breakfast is a bit light.
Is very clean and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple