“Superb location and accommodation!”

Hotel Ai Due Principi
Ranked #154 of 386 Hotels in Venice
Harrogate, England, United Kingdom
“Superb location and accommodation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

Situated a stones throw away from San Marco and the Grand Canal, the Ai due Principi is a little gem nicely tucked away from the bustle of central Venice but close enough to be within the heart of all the action within seconds.

We (my wife and 11 year old daughter) stayed for 3 nights (August 2012) and were impressed with the main hotel and our room. The decor is stylish, the rooms clean and fresh with air conditioning, which is a must in the Venetian summer heat.

The room was a good size as was the chic en-suite bathroom, complete with a very good power shower and large jacuzzi bath.

There are shutters over the windows and full length curtains, ensuring a very quiet, dark and peaceful nights sleep!

The staff were pleasant and accommodating but also discreet and courteous.

The Ai due Principi is close to the Grand Canal and many waterbus docks, so it is very handy for getting to many Venetian destinations from.

We decided to go to the beach one day and decided to hop on a waterbus to the Lido island and it took us less than 5 minutes to get the the dock.

All in all a super hotel at good value in the hub of this very beautiful city.

Room Tip: We stayed in an internal room overlooking the hotels courtyard which we found to be very peaceful, h...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel and found it to be perfect in terms of location, price and quality. Situated 5 minutes walk from the water front where the Vaporetto and airport boat stop is located, next to a quiet but picturesque canal yet only ten minutes walk to the madness of San Marco. There are plenty of restaurants nearby. The hotel is spotless in terms of cleanliness and the rooms are lovely with modern decoration (not old fashioned and stuffy as a lot of the other hotels appear). Didn't have a problem with hot water in fact the shower was probably the best part of our room it was super!? The bed was comfortable and housekeeping came every day while we were out and changed the bedding and towels. The room was air conditioned. Mini bar was provided in the room (or a fridge if you bought your own like we did!) and there was plenty of space to hang all your clothes with double wardrobes. Loads of mirrors to do your makeup in and good lighting. I priced lots of hotels when deciding to visit Venice and this was one of the more reasonably priced hotels which I am really glad that I chose as the quality did not suffer with the lower price. The reception and waiting staff were helpful and friendly. Breakfast was continental and while it is not my favorite it is what you will get in any European hotel. They had cereal and fruit, croissants and nutella so I stocked up every morning as it is VERY EXPENSIVE to eat in Venice, there is a lovely courtyard to sit out and eat your breakfast in. If you want somewhere clean and comfortable to stay while in Venice and you like a nicer hotel room than a Premier Inn but you're not looking for the Ritz I'd say this is the perfect hotel for you! It really is lovely, for couples especially! The ONLY downside I have about this hotel is that they do not provide and iron/ironing board so we had to hang our clothes in the shower every night in an attempt to remove the creases. Also, you will have to pay a city tax of 4 euro's per person per night before you leave, ask about this when you arrive as we were surprised when we were given a bill for 34 euro's on checkout.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking the courtyard, it was quiet. From looking at the pictures a room with a can...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susanlw1
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

my husband and i stayed at the hotel ai due principi for 3 nights. The hotel was exactly what we were hoping for..far enough away from the crowds yet conveinent to all the major sights. Wonderful breakfast each morning, spotless and well appointed room, fantastic bathroom, comfy bed. All in all it was a lovely stay in beautiful Venice.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fishmate327
Winchester, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

My family recently stayed at the hotel, and while the room was fairly nice and the location great, the service was very poor for such an expensive hotel. We needed help from the front desk with several items, and found them consistently to be of no help at all, and very lazy. Even though most of the guests at the hotel speak English, the front desk people speak English very poorly (even the lowest street vendor speaks English better than those working the desk). Why would they hire such people for a hotel serving international travellers? I found that eventually they just completely ignored my requests for help. At one point, they carried out a 10 minute conversation in Italian while I stood directly in front of them, in their faces, while being completely ignored.

For this kind of money, I would search for another hotel with better service!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Blake W
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

We had booked our honeymoon at the Due Principe. When we had to cancel our stay there due to an unforeseen family event, we called the hotel (we had no access to a computer). After a little bit of back and forth, we were told that everything was ok, no problem. One day later, once we had access to a computer again, we checked back with the hotel to confirm and were suddenly told we had to pay EUR 350. Turns out that no one had noted our cancellation despite verbal assurances to the contrary. Every attempt to sort this out with the hotel was blocked off by staff by referring us to their cancellation policy. Numerous attempts to talk to a manager were left unanswered, staff continued to play 'pass the parcel' and blamed either us or the website we used to book the hotel (booking.com).

I have never encountered such a thing before and could not recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank J M
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stayed at this Hotel in early May for 8 days and found it to be very enjoyable. The breakfasts had a good choice of various cereals and continental type breakfast foods. Our room was just perfect and the bathroom was the largest I have ever seen before in Italy - a double shower no less !!! I found the staff to be very helpful at all times and they spoke excellent English. The Hotel is ideally situated reasonably close to St Marks square and there are lots of quirky shops and restaurants nearby. There is also a very good laundrette (self service) very close by.

Room Tip: Choose one of the Exclusive Double Rooms with Canal View.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ozziemozzie
New Orleans, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

I am a very seasoned traveler and have never before posted anything negative about a hotel. My recent experience at Hotel ai due Principi in Venice, however, caused me to do so. I agreed to pay almost $200 per night more for a room that was advertised as having a canal view (my rate with taxes was some $540 per night). The hotel is located a few blocks from the Grand Canal on a rather small canal. I was assigned a room on the second floor of the hotel that, while on the canal side, had no view of the canal while my feet were on the ground. The canal on which the hotel is located is indeed very small and the window ledge of the hotel juts out and blocks the view of the canal for all persons except perhaps people who are well over 6 feet tall. When I saw this situation I inquired at the front desk about changing rooms and was told that nothing could be done for the first night because there were no other rooms available but that the clerk would check with his “Director” in the morning to see if we could be changed to the one room in the hotel with a balcony. We agreed but never heard anything from the hotel on the next day (during which I had to conduct business and thus was away form the hotel for most of the day). The following morning, I asked to speak to the Director who was present. As it turns out he is a rather tall person who also is rather arrogant and has no business interacting with the public. His response to me is that there is nothing wrong with the room—in fact, he stated that he sees the canal from the room (not surprising given that he is well over 6 feet tall) and thus, there is nothing wrong with the room—it is as advertised. I suggested that it would be more appropriate to advertise the room as canal side or partial view. He stated that he would not do so and added- if there was anything wrong it was with the guest—at that point, I terminated the discussion. There are other things wrong with this hotel—it is not a four star hotel, even with the most liberal view of what that means—however, given the deceptive advertising of the room and the attitude of the persons at the front desk, one can do much better at other hotels in Venice!! Finally, be aware that at least two of the recent positive postings for this hotel actually are not for this hotel but instead for another hotel in Venice with a similar name.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business