“Vewry disappointing awful service”

Osteria Enoteca San Marco
Ranked #170 of 1,490 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We went to this restaurant recommended by a Venician friend and were very disapointed. The service was the worse I had in many years of travelling. Plates were dropped on our table and the cooks were looking at us during all the diner through a small window in their kitchen door. The food was very disapointing to say the least, the meat was hard with no taste at all, the wine we ordered was not available, so we took another one which was very average. The pasta usually good in venice were too cooked and the sauce prepared the day before, or before..

Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed November 29, 2012

The location was super-convenient to Piazza San Marco and the staff were all friendly and speedy. The kitchen was also pleasantly quick! My husband and I recommend the coconut prawn, lamb chops, monkfish, and chocolate cake, along with a nice Sauvignon blanc/bianca. However, avoid the Campari Spritz as it tasted like motor oil :) We'll be trying another Spritz and mixer elsewhere for comparison. :) Happy Travels!

Reviewed November 23, 2012

The Osteria Enoteca San Marco is a welcome relief from the touristy venues in Venice. The atmosphere is cosy and romantic (evidenced by the fact that the majority of people in the restaurant were couples), while the food was of a high quality and innovative.

The starter of a tart of Aubergine and Gorgonzola was excellent while my companions also really enjoyed their first course. I then had the somewhat traditional fegato alla veneziana, which was outstanding while my wife chose the fried fish which turned out to be a very large portion of a variety of sea food with thinly cut fried vegetates, again very tasty.

As you would expect from an Enoteca the choice of wine was very good and served by a knowledgeable staff who clearly understood the advisable combinations for each course, the prices also seemed competitive considering the quality of some of the choices.

All finished off with a good desert (again matched with an appropriate wine). The Enoteca San Marco is not cheap, it was by far the most expensive meal we had in Venice, but it was also the best, for once a case of you get what you pay for.

All in all: great food, a lovely location (especially for romantic couples on that final night in Venice) with high quality service.

As a final note I cannot understand the previous complaint about the restaurant only holding reservations for 10 minutes, this was pointed out to me when I made my reservation and given the number of “no shows” you are likely to have in somewhere like Venice I am not surprised they inform you of this practice, but it was done very professionally and courteously.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

We had an enjoyable meal here on a recent trip to Venice. Nice room: exposed brick with wine racks lining the walls and good lighting make for a nice ambiance. It's more modern in feel than many Venetian restaurants with food to match. All of it well executed and well served.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

We shared a caprese salad for a starter. But the highlights were pesto pasta with mussles and a mixed seafood fried in a tempura batter. This last dish was so outstanding we are still talking about it. The chocolate cake with gelato for dessert was particularly good but came with some tart berries we couldn't eat. The best thing was they seemed to serve straight through since we didn't finish lunch until 4 PM and they were still serving other patrons.