“Great atmosphere, charming service, great food....”
Review of Vecio Fritolin

Vecio Fritolin
Ranked #153 of 1,477 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: San Polo
Description: Vecio Fritolin from Venice is a loved, characterful little restaurant near the Rialto Bridge in Santa Croce where people have been eating traditional Venetian food for over a century. It's one of the cities where you still can find "fritolini", precursors of today's fast food eateries, popular in the 1800s with both the rich and less well off. The scrumptious historic finger food is still served, alongside masterpiece variations on other local Venetian and Italian dishes. The seafood and vegetables come daily from the nearby Rialto Market, and are on the constantly-changing menu within hours. Whether they stumble or deliberately step onto Vecio Fritolin's pink terrazzo floor, everyone's invariably glad they did.
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Easily worth the effort required to find this charming place. We went on the strength of a review by Nick Lander and very glad we did... Stand-out dishes were a tasting plate of baccalà, a glorious frittura di peace, and a wonderful duck main course. Desserts, which we rarely order, were knock-out, particularly the deconstructed tiramisu, which tends to be a great disappointment in even the best Italian restaurants in London, but here was a delight.
It's not cheap, and the portions aren't huge, but it's well worth a visit in a city where it's all too easy to pay a great deal for bad food. Recommend booking in advance, and persevere and find it!

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Went there last Thursday night and worked up a decent appetite walking from hotel near the Accademia - decided on the menu di degustazione this time but the fritto misto will be on the list for when we return which we definitely will.

Very impressed with food, service and general ambience - we were strongly recommended to go by someone whose professional judgement I rate highly and am pleased that we can now endorse the recommendation on the basis of our own experience.

We went for dinner and might well try lunch next. Booking required on most days I think.

Having tried two new restos in Venice which complement each other (La Bitta - "no fish") we considered ourselves very fortunate indeed.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

Delicious Venetian classics (best sarde en saor in a long time), but also some flashes of welcome creativity (desserts) and attention to detail (homemade bread). Service is very friendly, if a bit on the slow side. Old-school but relaxed decor -- the "antico" restaurant dates back to 1749 and old B&W photos of Venetian scenes adorn the walls. All in all, a very good address in Venice, which deserves its place in the Michelin guide and many others.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Inarrived in Venice without really looking forward to my first night here. It turned out that after my travel companions left me to dine alone, I was able to treat myself to the chef's table. It was absolutely the five star experience I was wanting. When the first course came and he said mackerel I thought I was doomed. Instead I find myself a convert. The preparation juxtaposing the orange rind with the olive oil and confit of tomato with another puree - heaven in one bite! Eat platter of four just kept improving. The dessert - chocolate with fresh citrus salad and vanilla gelato. All made in-house. Don't think twice, just get the chef's menu I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Multa grazie a tutti in ristorante per una notte maravillosa! Merci pour être si amiable aves moi ce soir. 30 ott 2012

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We had read a review of this restaurant in an Australian news article several weeks ago and so were keen to track it down even though we only had 8 hours in Venice between trains. The Vaporetta dropped us at San Marco and then using the GPS in our iPad we traversed the narrow lanes and bridges until we found it. Right from the start the maitre d^ was the friendliest and most helpful we had experienced in 10 days in Italy. Nothing was too much trouble. We had a couple of beers while we waited for our main courses to arrive - the Mixed Fried Seafood and the Black Taglietelle with Shrimp Tails. Wonderful. As a previous reviewer noted the seafood had very much a tempura consistency which was suitably light. We shared a dessert of sweet wine and biscotti and a couple of coffees. The total cost was just under €90 so not cheap for lunch but worth it for the whole dining experience.