“NO TOURISTS ALLOWED!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Osteria Al Diavolo E L'acquasanta
Ranked #394 of 1,409 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: San Polo
London, United Kingdom
“NO TOURISTS ALLOWED!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

Went there under recommendation of the owner of our hotel. After walking a lot to find it , we finally arrived there. Unfortunately me and my husband didn't have the chance to taste any food as the owner and the staff were SO RUDE that we have decided to leave before , mainly to avoid a huge argument with them. We have asked for a table, they said we needed to wait , so we went at the bar where we could see :1. Tables given out only to table 2. were deliberately ignored at the bar and locals again that they obviously knew we're served before us. when finally another member of the staff acknowledged us , the old man which I think it's the owner , said to him no serve those ones and so he did. He FINALLY got our drinks orders , a pint of beer and a spritz.... He gave my husband a tiny glass with some beer in it .... So my husband asked him if that was a pint, he answered " yes it's a small one and you can buy another one after ". In the meantime I have asked the woman waitress again about the table for two , she laughed loudly from behind the bar at my question saying again loudly ah ah ah she has asked if there is a table for two , and basically making fun of me and my question. Then she said we have to wait long, 30 minutes or even more as she wanted us not to wait. And so we did.... We didn't drink any of those drinks either , turned our back and left as these people with their rudeness don' really deserve a cent if they treat people that way. We knew at that point that although the food coming out looked very good and I am sure it was , we wouldn't have enjoyed it at all .
They are better off putting a sign outside saying TOURISTS NOT WELCOME HERE
So yes , the restAurant The Devil and the HOly Water was absolutely DIABOLICAL , and unless you are from Venice , don' t go there!!!!

• Visited December 2013
6 Thank Giasia

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Maine
“A delightful surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

My last day in Venice was busy, and I was running around San Polo when I found Al Diavolo e l'Aquasanta (The Devil and Holy Water). It is a typical Osteria, but judging by the photos has a long and storied history. The food was excellent. I chose from the specials of the day and had a special lasagne as a first course (yummy) and a second course of large shrimp. They were absolutely delicious, as was the tiramisu dessert. Mostly Venetians seem to eat here, and that is always a good sign if you want excellent food at good prices. I'd go again in a minute! (And probably will). There's also the unmistakeable ambience of a real osteria.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hilton Head, South Carolina
“Tourists Tolerated”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

The food was fine. The atmosphere was average. The servers were chilly to indifferent. For a restaurant at least partly reliant on tourists, I was surprised at the lack of interest in ensuring we had a nice meal.

Clearly, I wouldn't recommend it and I won't be back.

• Visited September 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Anne S
Marsascala, Malta
“What a pleasure....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

We have been to Venice several times, and let's face it, the food isn't exactly the best you can get in Italy. However, this typical Osteria more than made up for the average, touristy fare that we have eaten in Venice. Small, rustic and genuine, it was an experience throughout. The hostess was extremely friendly and we were made to feel welcome and comfortable from the very moment we stepped in the restaurant. The food was great, dessert something else altogether. Will definitely be going back for more!

• Visited July 2013
Cardiff
“Quality declining with tourism”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We have visited here several times over the last 4 years after a recomendation from a friend who lives locally and have always enjoyed the tasty food and local 'colour' until this year. Sadly the owners and staff appear to have succumbed to thinking that all tourists are there for them to extract the most from as they will not be returning.

Our table was fine when we arrived and we ordered. Without any warning or apology to us they physically moved our table about 9 inches, with drinks and food on it, so that a party of Americans could be accommodated. OK, they are just making a living we thought and the Americans did order lots. However our food was dry, stale and barely re-heated. Although it is not the fault of the staff, the Americans were VERY loud and one kept flicking her hair in my food - she did not look best pleased when I politely asked her not to do this.

The icing on the cake was when the waitress 'forgot' to give us €10 change - this was after giving an appropriate tip. Her elaborate apology was so insincere! Suffice to say that for us the restaurant has had it's time and we will not be returning

Visited February 2013