“good pizza, but the rest...?”
Review of Il Refolo

Il Refolo
Ranked #312 of 1,494 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Santa Croce
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We were there last week and right at the beginning we were sat on a bad table, very close to the walk. So we asked for different table which was granted (thee were a lot of free tables)
The pizza was delicious and the service simply bad. One waitress, she took orders and we paid to her, was very kind; the others were rude. I had put my chair slightly differently - thee wa plenty of room and couldn't have disturbed anyone, and I was told off like a school girl. I asked, why do I have to change the chair, the "waitress" answered "because WE prepare it like this!"
We drank 1/2 liter of house wine, completly overpriced for 12 € and then we wanted another 1/4; we were told, no we don't have quarter carafes, you must take 2 glasses. So we took 2 glasses, they cost 4 € each. So half a litre costs 12 € and 2 glasses of the same wine 8!
The bill was 20 for 2 pizzas and 25,30 for mineralwater and wine ... and service! Yes, they charge service.
We will definitely never return, although the place is beautiful.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

Great place to dine out. Right next to little canal. The food is great, mainly pizza. I also had a great gazpacho, better than in Spain. Pizza is 9-12 euros and is really good.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Our hotel manager made this restaurant reservation for me and my large party. I had a few criteria that this place fit very well. I needed something for a large party... and outdoor, canal seating. We had 30 minutes to find it. The concierge at the hotel told us that it couldn't be done. Well, we did it... I lead 18 of us to this spectacular little place. We had such a fun night! The pizza was incredible and they had the most interesting pinot grigio that I've ever had. I think I need to go back and try it again :)

Reviewed June 18, 2012

This is the place to go for pizza. We happened to be staying in an apartment in Santa Croce, near Campo San Giacomo dell'Orio, which is where Il Refolo is located. We were able to get an outside table without reservation on our third night in Venice. It's a lovely setting, along a small canal and bridge. For our meal we started with Prosciutto and melon. The melon was ripe and sweet and the Prosciutto was tender. We all had a glass of Prosecco. my daughter and I shared the Margharita Pizza, while my husband ordered the love and anchovie pizza. We were told that a pizza is not a pizza without anchovies. Both were very good. A nice thin crust, chewy and delicious. Service was good and efficient.

Reviewed June 14, 2012

Close to our apartment and the reviews seemed positive, so gave it a go. Opened at 1900, and we were the first to be seated. About 20 or so tables outside by a canal and a bridge. This was our only meal of a 3 night stay in Venice (yes, I'm cheap), so was willing to succumb to Venice's prices. Even though the restaurant is quite a bit away from the tourist grid, still a lot of tourists here (must be getting good reviews somewhere else too). Carpaccio pesce - tasty, but 15,50 euro. Pizzas were thin-crust and great like everybody says. The wife tells me that the diameter of the pizza is the same as Di'gorno. The caterina with tomatoes was primo, and the diavola was good too. My pappardelle dish tasted delish, but it was a rather small serving that cost 14 euro. We had the white house wine (chardonnay) that was good, but a 1/2 liter of it costs 12 euro (for reference a 1/2 liter of house wine in a restaurant in Bolzano was 4,40 euro). Skip the desserts. Tiramisu was a very small serving that costs 6 euro, and even a serving of gelato cost 5 euro. There is no coperto here, but they do charge you 10% service on everything but wine (I'd rather pay the coperto, since our meal's service charge was 7,85 euro), more than I've ever tipped in Europe. Service was fast and friendly, since they had 4 waitresses on duty.

1  Thank DaytonJG