“Great place for lunch, delicious sandwiches”

Birreria "Al Vecio Penasa"
Ranked #670 of 1,461 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Castello
Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Rick Steve's guidebook led us to this street lined with bars/sandwich shops. We ducked into this one to get out of the rain and were not disappointed. Had a cozy booth near the counter and arrived just before the lunch crowd. Everyone ordered at the counter, and food was brought to the table. We thought the food was great and our server was helpful in getting the five of us seated at a table that was large enough for our family.

1  Thank KidsAreATrip

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stopped at the Al Vechio Penasa for a lunch and Guinness (it's on tap). Paninis, salads, some pasta but it is a bar so that is about it. However great tastes for what we tried (two times), the salads and Panini. Bar pricing so it was very reasonable. The food is laid out in the show counter as common in Italian bars. Very full of people so you have to be quick once you get the bar tenders eye. There are some tables inside but don't be upset if you have to stand. Remember they do have Guinness.

1  Thank cicknryndy
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Although the bar looks inviting and the sandwiches and sweets good, the staff here will not hesitate to rip you off (giving you the wrong change, no change, and very exaggerated prices if you sit down - even for Venice) if they don't recognize you. I'm a licensed tour manager in Venice and used to go here frequently as my gondolier friends meet here, but they have tried to cheat me multiple times. I have been charged 8 Euros for a latte sitting at table (and that was the price they overcharged me 4 years ago!) and just today, with my guide license clearly visible around my neck (indicating not only that I am licensed but a local), they tried to charge me DOUBLE the price of a regular espresso standing at the bar. Imagine what they would have done to someone who didn't speak the language or understand how much an espresso should cost?
I will be telling all my clients (as my husband does at the hotel where he works - DO NOT FREQUENT THIS BAR! They give honest Venetians a bad name.

4  Thank AccompagnVenezia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

Suggested by our hotel but food seemed precooked and atmosphere too noisey and crowded. We should have realized it was more of a pizzeria than a place for nice dining which we were looking for.

2  Thank Laurie P
Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

This place is a little gem. Great service with great food. If you are looking for a quick lunch this place is perfect. The gelato is the best around and the young chap who served us went above and beyond. We were in Italy for 3 weeks and ate at a number of places and this was a stand out

1  Thank Rubbl24