“Recommended by friends in Venice”
Review of Lineadombra

Lineadombra
Ranked #96 of 1,460 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We were looking for a very special place in Venice to celebrate my 50th birthday. Friends in Venice recommended this restaurant and it did not disappoint! Service was exceptional all the way through the meal. We did order from the house wine menu (20-40 Euros per bottle) and the selections were very good. And no, it did not effect our service at all. I started with the tris di tartare and my husband started with the carpaccio. Both were delicious! For the first course, we both opted for the lobster ravioli and it was cooked perfectly al dente and the filling was wonderful. For the main course I had the sea bass and my husband had the veal. Again, both were cooked perfectly, melt in your mouth and the flavors were just sublime. We shared the chocolate mousse for dessert and it was over the top fantastic.

The location of the restaurant cannot be beat and the views from the tables along the water's edge were breath taking and VERY romantic. Try to schedule your visit at sunset as we did. You will not regret it!

I cannot fathom what has happened to the people who have given this place a bad review. The only thing I can think is that they have not had this level of dining experience before so they may not know what to expect. We have, and I cannot recommend this restaurant more highly! The service, the staff, the food, the location, my 50th birthday was absolutely perfect :)

2  Thank VanessaL
There are newer reviews for Lineadombra

Reviewed September 30, 2013

While exploring the area behind the La Salute Church in Dorsoduro, we came across the Lineadombra Restaurant sitting on a platform in the Giudecca Canal under large umbrellas. Even though we did not have reservations, we were immediately seated at a table by the edge of the water and offered an apperitivo. A basket of different types of freshly baked bread was brought to the table and the maitre d' spent some time explaining the daily specials of fresh seafood. We opted to share a plate of home made squid ink pasta with shrimp followed by a plate of Fegato alla Veneziana (Liver Venetian style) for my husband and veal for me. The service was impeccable. Water glasses were discreetly filled and a second glass of prosecco offered. For desert we shared a peach soup with ice cream and berries. At no time were we rushed to finish but rather were able to linger over an espresso and watch the traffic on the canal. The only downside to this idyllic meal was the passage of a large cruise ship, not more than 70-80 feet away from us, on its way to its mooring.

1  Thank Shutterbugdi
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had booked this restaurant for the last lunch of our short break to Venice several months beforehand but then became slightly concerned by some very negative reviews on TA and, rather more importantly, by the prediction of bad weather which would prevent our planned al fresco dining. Despite forecasts to the contrary, the day dawned clear and remained cloud free with unbroken sunshine. Arriving promptly at midday we were able to take our pick of the tables on the terrace and sat down beneath a large parasol to a panoramic view of the Giudecca's great churches with San Giorgio Maggiore to the left, Zitelle plumb centre and Redentore to our right.

We would have been happy with a moderately successful meal, given this heavenly view, but fortunately the negative reviews were clearly written by people with no taste buds or an inability to read the prices clearly displayed on the menu. (Interestingly, and presumably on hearing our English voices, despite the fact that fresh fish is listed as 10 euros per 100 grams our excellent waiter offered to write down the total cost and give us time to think about it. I assured him that my arithmetic was up to the calculation.) The service here was excellent throughout: our waiter also pointed out that the moderately-priced wine we were ordering by the glass would be considerably cheaper by the bottle if we were going to drink more than 3 glasses between us. Whilst our lunch cost 270 euros, almost double that of our next most expensive meal on this trip, it was worth every penny.

We started with, in my case, a mound of sweet carpaccio di manzo whilst my wife's baccala mantecato was accompanied by pistachios and served on a bed of kataifi - unusual but delicious. We shared a portion of pasta with a generous serving of fresh lobster in a light tomato sauce. Our final savoury course was a fresh sea bass cooked in a salt crust and accompanied by potatoes, peppers, courgettes, broccoli, aubergines and, at my wife's request, artichokes. I recall a carping reviewer suggesting this dish was a rip off and I can only presume he is unfamiliar with upmarket London or New York restaurant prices. Apart from the sheer theatricality of the cooked fish when brought to the table, once served to us it became clear that our 900 gram fish would have served 4 people without too much difficulty.

Though full, we were reluctant to tear ourselves away from the view and so ordered desserts: my tiramisu was light, rich and disappeared in a trice; my wife's liquorice ice cream more of an acquired taste and she couldn't finish it. The recital of the selection of 8 artisan Italian cheeses on another day would have had me loosening my belt a notch despite the hefty 24 euro cost but my stomach was groaning and an easyJet flight beckoned. We did manage 2 excellent coffees, served with biscotti, before waddling off to the water taxi.

1  Thank LaDolceVita27
Reviewed September 29, 2013

All too often, I've read restaurant reviews which concentrate on how awfully expensive things are in Venice. It seems as though it is the prices leaving the bitter taste which is translated as Not Good Food. You know, people, the prices are clearly marked. Add 'em up, or borrow a waiter's calculator. Stop complaining.
We've eaten at Lineadombra three rimes, and are going back for a fourth this evening. I will probably have some of their silky pasta, and will definitely order the turbot strudel, a dish of impeccable imagination and execution. It will be quite expensive, and completely worth it.

1  Thank Eugene Z
Reviewed September 22, 2013

One of the nice things about this restaurant is its show-and-tell guide to the menu: soon after you are seated, a server comes by with an enormous platter of whole, raw fish and shellfish, to show and explain what's fresh and available to choose from. Of course you can also order off the menu. We have ordered off the platter - one whole roasted fish for two, filleted by the waiter after presenting the fish to us on its roasting pan - and off the menu, and they're both good. The whole roasted fish is pretty uncomplicated, but what makes it better than other places' versions is that this chef really knows how to cook fish. Too many others overcook it just a bit, which dries it out and dulls the delicacy of taste and texture of truly fresh fish. Not here. It's perfect, tender and moist, and the flavor of the fish really shines through. Several of our choices off the menu were real standouts. One was an appetizer of salt cod (baccala) with pistachios in a nest of extremely fine, brittle little Japanese rice noodles, with a very light raspberry sauce on the side. A main course we liked were a turbot strudel with an artichoke cream sauce (which my husband says was "brilliant," and one of the best fish dishes he has ever had). But honestly, in three visits to this restaurant, we have enjoyed everything we have ordered.

Now, the view. The terrace has a panoramic view of Venice, from the Arsenale (and the yachts parked alongside it) to the San Marco basin, the Giudecca canal, and the Giudecca beyond. We loved watching the boats go by, and later, an enormous, nearly full moon rising over the Arsenale area. . . . While sitting on the terrace one evening, we learned something about the scale of the buildings in Venice: some of them look large and imposing up close, but they look really tiny when a cruise ship slowly passes by. Watching one, then another and another of these behemoths go by was great theatre, but ultimately sobering. Can this very small city handle such a huge influx of people for just a few hours?

And just a comment about the complaints about cover charges, found among the reviews of just about every restaurant. Just about every restaurant in Italy has a small cover charge. It's nothing unique to Venice at all. The inclusion of service charges in the tab (usually included in the prices listed on the menu) is also standard. Taxes are included, too. Visitors to the US are often startled to discover that the prices on the menu don't include tax and tip. It's just another custom.

1  Thank Babette221