“Old fashioned style”
Review of Ai Gondolieri

Ai Gondolieri
Reserve with
Ai Gondolieri is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #396 of 1,426 Restaurants in Venice
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Description: Ai Gondolieri restaurant in Venice is something special in the Venice dining scene – a kitchen that concentrates its menu on meaty dishes of the mainland rather than the typically fishy fare of most other eateries here. A short walk from the Guggenheim Museum and the Accademia (take vaporetto 1 or 82), Ai Gondolieri enjoys a magically romantic setting in a genuinely old inn with its own arched bridge over a picture-postcard canal. The dining rooms are not splashy or over-decorated, with wood panelling, modern seating, white table linens, ceiling fans. Nevertheless this place attracts the starriest visitors to Venice, from presidents to film stars. The upmarket menu changes seasonally, featuring dishes like deep-fried stuffed zucchini flowers, breaded deep-fried lamb served beautifully pink, superb steaks, excellent risotto. Your host will chat in English with you about the all-Italian menu.
Watford, United Kingdom
“Old fashioned style”
Reviewed October 6, 2012

A delightfully old fashioned traditional restaurant looking more like a gentleman 's club. The service was faultless and the food very good. A glass of prosecco, excellent bread selection and fresh crudités arrive while you ponder the menu. Particularly memorable was the potato mousse. Prices are high but this is a very good restaurant.

• Visited September 2012

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
“overpriced”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

It always hard to judge restaurants in Venice as almost by default they're overpriced for what you get. The food here was fine, and the service was very kind but the prices were over the top. 20 euros for small plate of nice but not exceptional pasta was fairly standard looking at both my and my neighbour's food.

This place is convenient if you're in the area, it's late and you don't feel like stumbling about trying to find something, but definitely not worth going out of your way for.

• Visited September 2012
New York
“Not the best meal we ever had but...”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We were told this was the "best meal she ever had" from a dear friend of ours. Obviously with this kind of recommendation, we were compelled to try it for our nights stay in Venice. ( we were traveling from Milan to Venice via Trenitalia, let me just say how comfortable that ride was ).
We were greeted very graciously by a our lovely waiter and was immediately presented with a couple of glasses of prosecco and some crudite along with a dish of breads accompanied by olive oil and mustard ( interesting combo I should say but deliciously tasty ).
We were starving form missing lunch and running around Venice . Suffice to say I made a meal of the crudite and breads, there goes my low carb diet.
Our waiter soon came along with our order and we ordered 3 courses ala carte. There is a tasting menu that consisted about 6-8 dishes for a mere 65 Euros. I could not order those as some of the dishes were not suitable for my palate
Be prepared to wait for your meal to be presented at a slower European pace ( being New Yorkers we are so used to having our meals within and hour..lol ) The dishes are delicious and expertly prepared. I wasn't so keen on my pasta with mushrooms dish as I thought it was too greasy otherwise the snails I had for my appetizer was scrumptious, plump, juicy and very tasty. My main dish was a guinea fowl braised in truffle and served with a potato mousse. My guest/date that evening ordered an aubergine parmesan terrine which i have to confess was sublime, he also ordered the cannelloni with cheese and veal, with surprisingly no tomato sauce, equally delicious. His main dish was veal cheeks with polenta and wine reduction and he could not stop crowing about how delicious it was.
Desert was tiramisu and puff pastry with cream and chocolate sauce, which i though was just meh!
Overall i would say i like the ambiance, the location ( near the Peggy Guggenheim museum ), but the food was deliciously expensive.

• Visited August 2012
Guildford, United Kingdom
“experience the tasting menu”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

We ate here on the last day of our holiday - unfortunate as we would have gone again. We chose the tasting menu: course after course of really delicious food, beautifully prepared and presented. Tempura courgette flowers and asparagus, potato foam with baby artichokes, canneloni, risotto, fresh pea soup, smoked duck salad, veal cheek in red wine sauce with vegetables, finishing with chocolate mousse in crispy shell and then coffee. All for 65euros.

Service was professional, efficient and friendly. We liked the fresh vegetable crudites which came with our complementary glass of prosecco, and the bread was the best we had in Venice. Some people might complain that the servings were rather large, considering the number of the courses - but we coped!

Most restaurants in Venice seem to have a standard tourist menu, so this was a refreshing change. The restaurant looks unassuming, not flashy, and there is no outside seating. Go for the food!

Sadly we were the only diners that evening, but we were welcomed and not made to feel rushed.

• Visited June 2012
San Francisco, California
“Fine dining near the Guggenheim”
Reviewed June 3, 2012

My husband and I found this restaurant for lunch one afternoon tempted by the Michelin reviews in the window. We were the first to arrive which is always a bit awkward but we were quickly made comfortable.

Yes, the room is formal and the service may feel a bit stuffy compared to other options in Venice but it is what you would expect, and want, in any fine dining establishment. Our waiter was gracious and helpful, he noticed that we enjoyed the wine he recommended and even wrote the name down for us to take back home. Thank goodness for his kindness, I didn't feel comfortable whipping out my phone for my normal wine bottle shot in such an elegant location.

I made a lunch of artichokes in all possible ways (it was Spring, after all.) Each presentation was unique and tasty but I think I'd branch out a bit more in the future. My husband's pea soup with ham was spot on and his chicken with vegetables was much more impressive than the simple name suggests. His serving was generous so I was able to enjoy it also.

We finished up with Maculan Torcolato, an excellent dessert wine - again recommended by our waiter.

• Visited April 2012