“Relaxed water-side dining... if you arrive early!”
Review of Riviera

Riviera
Ranked #6 of 1,460 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Description: NOT FOR FAST FOODERS!! Omnivorous Restaurant Please CHECK our on line Menu BEFORE to book a table!! Booking highly suggested. WE HAVE NOT VEGAN OPTIONS!! A credit card deposit can be requested to confirm a booking. WEDNESDAY and THURSDAY are our days off! we’ll be closed from next August 9th to 17th included, opening Aug. 18th for dinner
Reviewed August 13, 2013

This is an up-scale restaurant on the river with a picturesque water-side terrace that is ideal for a special occasion. It did actually rain quite heavily whilst we were here (for about ten minutes), but the large umbrellas did their job and we were able to remain outside undisturbed.

The service was fine and the food itself was great - clearly very carefully prepared and of a high quality. We had quite a late reservation (in keeping with local custom) and were a little late (which was our own fault), but it still felt a little rushed when we were told that the kitchen was closing at 10.30pm.

That said, would definitely come again and take my time!

2  Thank jdingley
There are newer reviews for Riviera

Reviewed August 11, 2013

At this restaurant I didn't have any complains. This is just great all the way through. The service is good. The waiters present the wines and help you understand the menu is something is unclear. They have lobster as a speciality, but we didn't go there because I heard it was overrated. Anyway, go in time for the sunset. It is just amazing with a good dinner by the water and the sunset in Venice.

3  Thank jocborgen
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Definitely they crew from the Rivera restaurant has all the right ambitions: Excellent local ingredients with a careful preparation - everything home made. And this exactly what you get! Our Seabass under saltcrust was really perfect! Our marinated sashimi platter - the signature dish of the Riviera - was good, if not mindblowing. The lobster pasta was not perfect: The pasta itself was wonderfull, the lobster though was cooked dry. We choose a local white wine, which was quite nice and a discovery. Should you go to the Rivera? Answer: Clear YES! The setting directly on the Giudecca canal is nice, the service is good, the food is good - but be aware: The Riviera has all the right ambitions and meets most of it - the Riviera also has quite ambitious pricing!

1  Thank Pkabel
GPCremonini, Proprietario at Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Hello Sir, and thank you for your kind review!

First of all I wish to say that I'm sorry if the lobster doesn't satisfied yours expectations, but honestly it looks to me a little bit strange that a lobster, still alive (as you saw) until few minutes before to "jump" into a pan, slowly cooking cover for 15minutes with few peeled cherry tomatoes, than gentle streaked with a light basil and parsley pesto and soft olive oil, arrived "dry" at your table!!

If you mean that it didn't arrive drowned into a lake of sauce covering the real taste of the sea food I agree with you, but in this case that was my intention because my idea about the respect for the real taste of the real product!

Anyway you didn't said to me at the moment also if I asked you, so...

I wish make also a little precision about the prices:

As I wrote before on those pages, may be in a different language, it's that every year in Venice arrived between 22millions and 30millions of Visitors, in a town with less than 60.000 resident.

This big amount of Visitor created an horrible speculation, and everything here it's really expansive, especially for the People living in Venice all year long, like all my Collaborators and me too.

There's also the particularity that all the items arriving in Venice have at minimum a double transport fee, first on wheels or by plane, then by boat.
And when you decide to purpose only real products, outside from the mass distribution...you pay the transport fees, but all alone.

Those only few reasons why we can be seen as expensive restaurant, but we are simply pricey and I hope that now you can agree that it's not for a personal speculation, but rather the opposite.

I can give you a simple example: a really great Chef, 2 Michelin stars if I'm not mistaken, whom had a fantastic Restaurant in Venice, decided to leave the Town and to open a new one on the country side, at 100km from here: actually in that new location he do the same kind of great kitchen, but 30% less expansive.

...of course the view it's not the same.

Hoping to receive you again, I wish to thank you for your attention, and have a nice day!

GP Cremonini

Reviewed August 7, 2013

The reviews are very good, the ranking on trip advisor is excellent, but for me it was a disappointment.

First of all you cannot fault the setting and we had a table right next to the sea - great view. The food can clearly be good but was not there. One starter of scallops was nearly raw and I actually like sashimi, but this did not seem right. The main courses were only warm. Finally, one dessert came with aerosal squirty cream - really not what I would expect for the price.

GPCremonini, Proprietario at Riviera, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

dear Sir

Our seared scallops over a light salad of cherry tomatoes and corn salad with 2 peppers pesto are, as wrote on the menu and anyway as all our previous Guest understood and appreciate, simply seared: I mean few minutes on a really hot grill, first one side than the other one, in a way to have three differents textures -grilled/well done at the sides, done and than quite raw at the heart- and three differents tastes, but probably it's necessary to have a minimum of sensibility to feel that delicate difference (I forgot that you already had sensibility for the view, for sure I cannot asked you to go over your daily quota).
Than we serve those scallops on a light young salad, few little cherry tomatoes that we peel only a while before to serve it, and two different home made pepper sauces, yellow and red, and I never saw a sauce like that on a sashimi, anyway not yet.

Your main courses were not only warm, probably were tasty too: may be you preferred to have it cold, but to please you in this case it would have been for sure embarassing for me.

The thing that you stylishly called "aerosal squirty cream" I presume to be our yogurt foam on wild berries salad: it's absolutely not exactly an "aerosal squirty cream" but a real natural yogurt from Trentino Alto Adige (you'll can find on a map, not the yogurt but the region), in which we leave during one night a vanilla "bean": then we take off the vanilla, we add only a little bit of sugar, we put that yogurt in a seltzer bottle and, at the moment to serve it, we add a neutral gas in a way to create a really light and delicate yogurt foam with a ligth vanilla taste, that may be looks as a whipped cream, but it's enough to have a operating tong in a mouth to realise that is not.
I mean for People that tested once in a life some yogurt that is not an industrial one.

It's a pity that you didn't say anything about your disappointment during your dinner; I would have done my best to please you or, if unable, to indicate to you the nearest pizzeria.

Have a nice day

GP Cremonini

Reviewed July 31, 2013

It was the last night of our week's holiday in Venice so we pushed the boat out. We had outside tables on the edge of the Giudecca Canal with great views across to Palladio's Redentore church. Fortunately the umbrellas/gazebos were large enough to keep us dry during the odd drop of rain. The service was impeccable and friendly. The food was perfectly cooked and expertly presented, almost like the works of art for which Venice is so famous. See the pictures for my starter of carpaccio of mixed fish, and finale of asiago cheeses of different ages/maturities. For our main course for three of us we chose a large sea bass baked in salt, filleted and served at the table. We ate more courses, drank more wine and finished with liqueurs so it cost more than anywhere else we ate at in Venice, but it was well worth it for this level of food, location and service.

2  Thank Ian C