“Few positives, many negatives”

Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena
Ranked #62 of 386 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Washington, DC
“Few positives, many negatives”
Reviewed December 5, 2013

The rooms in this hotel seem to be very different, so your mileage may vary, but this was my experience. I reserved a deluxe room, which I understood was an upgraded room. The room rate was 300 Euro per night, which set my expectations fairly high as this was considerably more than I spent at all the other places I visited on my trip. The hotel advertises itself as a 4 star hotel. I found it to be very unsatisfactory.

First the positives. The hotel is in a quiet, out of the way location. Because it isn't in the maze-like part of the city, the hotel itself is relatively easy to find. Also, there isn't a lot of street noise. The breakfast buffet selection is really good. The wifi signal is strong.

Now the negatives. My room was small and awkwardly laid out. The only place to sit was on the bed and there was pretty much nowhere to put anything. The very small desk was filled with hotel-provided materials. The tiny TV was stuck in a corner on top of the minibar fridge and I wasn't able to find a channel guide. The bed itself was very uncomfortable. It was two very soft single beds shoved together so there was a hard ridge in the middle. The room was noisy, not due to street noise but because the hotel staff in the adjacent area was very noisy. I and a the occupants of some of the neighboring rooms took to putting out the do not disturb signs to remind the staff to keep their voices down. The room was also a bit on the cold side as the night-time temperature was dipping into the 40's and the heat in the building was not turned on. When I asked the hotel staff about this, I was told that there was an ordinance prohibiting hotels from turning on the heat yet. Somehow other hotels in town were heated though! The breakfast spread was very nice, but the service was terrible. I was not offered a hot drink once in my three-day stay and had to sit with the dirty dishes left by other guests because the tables weren't cleaned quickly enough. I also had to scrounge clean spoons and glasses because supplies were allowed to be depleted. The front desk staff was mixed, some were extremely kind and friendly, others were downright rude. Because the hotel is in a quiet and not well lit area I felt unsafe walking from the canal after dark. But the worse part of the room was the bathroom. The bathroom, like the rest of the room, was small and awkwardly laid out. There was no tub but there was a working tub spout sticking out of the wall next to the toilet. There was no shower stall, just a shower enclosure made of bifold glass that was difficult to use. The towels were thin and not in ample supply and there were no robe or slippers in the room. The only place to leave one's toiletries was one small glass shelf next to the sink, which was mostly filled with hotel bath amenities.But most disturbingly, the shower was wholly inadequate. The floor was small tiles and the grout was really dirty. I routinely wore shower shoes, which should not be necessary in a 4 star hotel costing 300 euros per night. The first time I showered, hair from previous guests floated up when the water backed up due to the slow drain. And while there was plenty of hot water in the evening, this was not the case in the morning.

All in all I would not recommend this place even at a much lower price. I was very disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank AnneG20
FrancescoLaPietra, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear Anne,

thank you for leaving a feedback on our BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant’Elena on TripAdvisor. We are convinced that the comparison with the guests is of vital importance for every good hotel management.

I am very sorry that your stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations but I would like to make some clarification and correct some inaccuracies.

First of all, the particular architecture of our rooms is due to the fact that once it was an ancient convent. Thanks to this characteristic we can count on several room types that, depending on the case, can satisfy the different needs of our guest: it all depends on the room you choose to book. For this reason, I regret you did not report your disappointment directly to our staff: we would have certainly changed your room the same day or, at most, the day after.

Secondly, the room we assigned to you was not near to the area destined for the staff which, in any case, is always very careful not to disturb our guests.

Thirdly, the hotel is located within a green area that is very appreciated by our guests, as you can see from the other TripAdvisor reviews.

In the end, I have to say that also the cleanliness of our hotel, and in particular of our rooms, is one of our strengths. The people staying at Hotel Sant’Elena are pleased with the housekeeping service we provide.

In any case, we hope to see you once more at our BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant’Elena to get you live a unique experience of hotel hospitality.

Best regards,

Francesco La Pietra,
Qualità e Controllo di Gestione
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant’Elena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 29, 2013

This is the second stay at this wonderful hotel. Its a little off the major tourist areas (which is great - nice place to relax at the end of the day) but easy to access. I have come to realize the easiest way to access the hotel from the airport is to take the Airport Boat to Murano and then switch to the Vaporetto (line 4 goes straight to the hotel and ends up being a overall shorter travel time - also more enjoyable and more fresh air). If you get a multi-day pass (even better, get the Venezia Unica - takes effort to get, but definitely a great deal), its a few minute boat ride with great views to San Marco. The rooms are very simple but spacious. The breakfast is incredible and way more than you'll ever eat. The staff is multi-lingual and exceptionally helpful. An incredible deal for Venice which can be insanely expensive. Save your extra euros for the tasty meals which you can access pretty easily by the vaporetto! Free and fast WiFi throughout the entire hotel is a great addition since my last visit!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank MGIson
United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

This is the 4th time I've stayed in this lovely hotel. The accommodation is great, comfortable beds and clean rooms. The staff are very helpful and professional.

Breakfast has a wide range of offerings of hot and cold food, fruit, juices and a variety of teas and coffee to get you ready for the day ahead.

The local area is residential and in November has always been quiet, peaceful and calm. The whole area is a lovely oasis, an island that has beautiful tree lined park areas and is close to the Giardini and the Arsenale for Biennial explorations.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JM0483
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 13, 2013

Good place, quiet corner of venice, local atmosphere just a little bit walking from the biënnale good quality, Nice breakfast, good room, good service, good price, small but ok balcon. Clean and friendly

Room Tip: Rooms are all ok
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nielsdepous
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Pros:

Quiet, secluded location
Modern rooms
Spacious rooms
Spacious bathroom
Shower/bath
Plenty of amenities (hair dryer, grooming kits, etc)
Big breakfast buffet
Friendly service

Cons:
Dusty room
Man woke us up gardening (probably just a one time thing)

Everything about this hotel was great in terms of quality and service! Only real issue was the room was a big dusty and I have pretty bad dust allergies.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ali M
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Very modern rooms and bathrooms with all the amenities (except conditioner).
Friendly staff, and a very strong wifi.

Not much to say, was happy with it! Mini bar wasn't too expensive. The included breakfast was decent, filled us up before heading out for the day. Basic pastries, some coffee and tea, bland cheese plates, and some fruit... Standard but pleasant.

All in all, loved the room.

Few issues:
1) when drawing the blinds back on the huge Windows it looked like a snow storm settled on the floor... I included pics, truly disgusting the amount of dust from the curtains.
2) a man was raking yesterday at 8:45am in the garden courtyard area and using a rake on cement.... With the windows and blinds closed it was enough to wake us up, and keep us awake.

Worth the value, quiet neighborhood, felt safe!

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancescoLaPietra, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

thank for writing a review on our BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant’Elena on TripAdvisor. We believe that guests’ comments are increasingly important to strengthen the quality of our services.

First of all, I am very happy you appreciated our rooms and the friendliness of our staff.
Concerning the dust issue, I am deeply sorry and I hope you can accept my most sincere apology. I have already speak with the Housekeeping Manager about the question you rised and she assured me she would investigate about the responsibilities.

We are glad you chose our hotel for your stay in Venice and we hope to see you soon to better serve your lodging needs.

Best regards,

Francesco La Pietra
Qualità e Controllo di Gestione
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant'Elena
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed November 1, 2013

We stayed here with a tour group. When we arrived by water taxi, we walked by a local park and down a quiet street and my immediate thought was 'good grief where are we going?' To my surprise, the hotel ( a former convent I understand) appeared and from then on, it was wonderful. The staff were very helpful, the rooms were modern and clean and we found it quiet even though we were on the ground floor on the street side. Before staying in Venice I had heard that the standard may not be as good as in other cities. While the room may have been on the small side, it was more than adequate. The meals we had at the Hotel were excellent and I soon found it was a very easy trip from the Hotel to St Mark's Square. I would have no hesitation in returning to this lovely place. (Free strong wifi too - something many larger hotels seem to find difficult to provide.)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends