“Don't be put off by the location”

Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena
Ranked #51 of 385 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I had only one night in Venice so started looking at hotels near the centre. Either incredibly expensive or would only take bookings for two nights. So I booked the Hotel Sant Elena. Really happy I did. The location is a quiet corner of Venice away from the tourist crush in the centre yet only 3 Vaporetti stops from Piazza San Marco or 30 minutes very pleasant walk along the waterfront. Room was quiet, really comfortable and beautifully dark in the morning with full shutter blinds. Breakfast was unusually good and the staff ever helpful. I made the classic mistake of leaving my iPad charging in my room when I checked out. It was safely returned in my bags when I came to collect them later in the day. Recommended.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank SnaveSydney

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Not very cheerful!
The spacious bedroom is black and white, with a black floor which shows the dust, and squeaks as it is walked on.This is a 4 star hotel, but felt more like a 3 star, and does not have robes or slippers in the room as one would expect, and only one of each bath product in the bathroom. The bath is very narrow and doubles as a shower so rather awkward to use. Later I found a notice in the information book that said if you needed robe or slippers, they could be requested at reception. I suppose if they are not provided, not many people will go out of their way to ask for them, of find out too late like me.
The bed and pillows are comfortable and the hotel in a very quiet part of Venice.
Breakfast room is very small for the number of guests with long tables squeezed in. People had difficulty in finding a place to sit, It felt like a school canteen with little charm and not enough room for the guests to collect their breakfast., And return to their seats.The waitress looked very stressed, both mornings we ate there. I would have expected a larger room in a 4 star hotel, and some waitress service to bring tea and coffee at least. The cutlery on the table was minimal, and ran out by the breakfast cereal, so I ate with a teaspoon. The choice of breakfast food was good, but the experience was not relaxing.
Overall I would not rebook this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancescoLaPietra, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving a review on our BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant’Elena on TripAdvisor. The observations of our guests are always welcomed.

I am deeply sorry your stay here did not meet your expectations, I apologize for the inconveniences.

Our main goal is the customer satisfaction and for this reason I would like to inform I reported your observations to the area managers in such way to improve the services offered.

Concerning the breakfast, certainly you chose particularly crowded times but if you had asked to our staff they definitely would have informed you that in addition to the internal room we have also an external one where our guests can enjoy the peace and the serenity of the garden.

We are glad you stayed at our hotel during your holiday in Venice and we hope you will come back soon to visit once more our home.

Best regards,

Francesco La Pietra
Qualità e Controllo di Gestione
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant'Elena

Reviewed October 4, 2013

We arrived in the late afternoon, ready to drop from traveling. The directions from airport to the hotel were perfect that the hotel had sent. Friendly front desk. The room was nice, the resort was quite quaint with a garden area in the center that some people were relaxing in. We really like the area quite well, we walked around that evening looking for a place to eat and found the area quite charming. In the morning we made our way to St. Marks square.. UGH! I guess the older I get, the less I like crowds. Between all the vendors and all the people, you couldn't see things if you wanted to.. especially if you don't want to be in the masses. No thank you. I loved the area of Sant Elena. The room was comfortable, as was the bed. Free wifi. The one thing that was annoying...we needed euro to buy our fares for the transfer to the port, only needed 14 Euro and wanted to buy some from the hotel and they would not. I found it hard to believe they couldn't afford to sell us that small amount, we almost missed our ship. There was no place to get Euro unless I went all the way back to St. Marks Square, which I headed.. but after almost all the way there, finding an atm... I realized my debit card was back in my suitcase with my friend, waiting for the ferry. UGH! Had to buy Euro from a vendor on the street!

Room Tip: wifi and breakfast included. Make sure you exchange for Euro before getting there.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank nesann
Reviewed October 2, 2013

We stayed at the Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena. A beautiful spacious hotel set in the quieter greener part of Venice. Easily accessible via water taxi and a 15 minute walk from St Marks Square.

Staff friendly with excellent service. Great breakfast spread.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Michelle H
Reviewed October 1, 2013

we enjoyed very much 5 days in venice, in this nice hotel.
best location if you are going to the biennale, but even if not, in a few minutes walk you are at piazza san marco .
good service, nice food, clean and quiet.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zulka_58
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hotel provides a high Quality which is absolute in line with the expectations of a 4 star Hotel. The interior is pleasant modern and not overloaded. Wi-Fi/TV up to date. The Junior Suite provides comfortable space including with a fully functioning bath room. The location is outside in a charming quite area (20min walking to San Marco or 5min to Vaporetto station. Accessible by water taxi <100m). Breakfast is of good Quality. Staff is very friendly and supportive.

Room Tip: We had a Junior Suite in floor 3 who was excellent. Noise isn't a problem in the area at all. Ev...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Peter W
Reviewed September 18, 2013

My partner booked me a surprise visit to Venice as a Christmas present and we stayed in The Best Western hotel. The staff were extremely helpful, the room was modern, very clean and so comfortable!

We only ate breakfast in the restaurant area but it was good food, and had a huge variety of food and drink! We did try to eat in the restaurant one evening but hadn't booked so there was no space.

This hotel is in a lovely residential area where you see more locals then tourists which for us was brilliant. Because we were only two stops from St Marks Square we could pop out when we wanted to go and sight see or out for dinner but appreciated getting away from the hustle and bustle when we went back to the hotel.

I cannot stress how helpful the reception staff were, in particular for us there was one lady who we could not thank more. I wish I had got her name because she helped us dramatically when I had an emergency and needed a dentist quick. She got us a map and marked the route we needed, she even booked the appointment for us at a dentist in Lido who was amazing!

Would definitely go back to this hotel and recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple