“Amazing Place To Stay!!!!”

Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena
Ranked #62 of 386 Hotels in Venice
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Place To Stay!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

My partner booked me a surprise visit to Venice as a Christmas present and we stayed in The Best Western hotel. The staff were extremely helpful, the room was modern, very clean and so comfortable!

We only ate breakfast in the restaurant area but it was good food, and had a huge variety of food and drink! We did try to eat in the restaurant one evening but hadn't booked so there was no space.

This hotel is in a lovely residential area where you see more locals then tourists which for us was brilliant. Because we were only two stops from St Marks Square we could pop out when we wanted to go and sight see or out for dinner but appreciated getting away from the hustle and bustle when we went back to the hotel.

I cannot stress how helpful the reception staff were, in particular for us there was one lady who we could not thank more. I wish I had got her name because she helped us dramatically when I had an emergency and needed a dentist quick. She got us a map and marked the route we needed, she even booked the appointment for us at a dentist in Lido who was amazing!

Would definitely go back to this hotel and recommend to anyone!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JennyLeigh1990

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having been to Venice a few times, I stayed here last visit, and can't wait to go back. The location is more central than it seems (only two stops from St Marks) but somehow completely untouristy and quiet, with locals sitting around drinking coffee etc. I loved it here, and the hotel itself was incredibly good value, with a great mix of history and modern, clean decor. The staff were very friendly too, and restaurant well worth a visit, but make sure you do visit the little restaurant in the middle of the island, which was very pleasant. Nice to have the big gardens separating you from the hustle and bustle.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jobowest
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

We spent a first night at the end of August at the Best Western San Elena, we got a Deluxe room. Experience was very pleasant, room was good size, clean, beds were comfy. We were quite excited to go back a week after (we travelled through Italy for a week) for one more night. The room we got was way smaller, bed was tiny and very uncomfy, only one bedside table. I had book this one through a third party website and I quickly check online, according to Best Western website this room is a 'Classic' type which was ideal for 1 guest, When you search on BW website for 2 persons they dont show you this bedroom but only the Deluxe or Suites.
I went to talk to reception to understand why third party website were advertising such room for two people as at the end of the day it is bad advertisement for the hotel. So far I had found the receptionist quite friendly but when I politely asked he said that this is a Deluxe room and it is for two people. When I asked why on the website the picture of the room we have was associated to a Classic room ( wiht only one pillow in the picture) he anwsered that the websie only show the pictures of best room. So basically it is false advertisement? Then he said they were fully book for that day... which is strange as I had checked just before online and I could book a Deluxe room for that night. I didnt appreciate his attitude as he lied to my face while I was just coming to say that I had probably made a mistake using a third party to book my room.
This made me quite upset. I am sure the Classic bedroom is also for 2 people but the bed has clearly been use by a lot of single traveler which made the shape really uncomfortable to be use by a couple.
If I had had this experience the first time we came, I would probably have never went back as this is not a 4 stars standards. I usually go with Best Westernn when we travel as I was never desapointed but I might think twice next time.
Apart from that, breakfast is what you would expect (continental breakfast), the hotel is located 25 min away from the center by foot or you have a vaporetto 4 min away from the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for twin room, it should ensure you get a proper Deluxe room intead of a very small double room
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Charlo200
FrancescoLaPietra, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear Guest from UK,

Thank you for writing a review on our BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant’Elena on TripAdvisor. We are always ready to welcome with open arms the opinions of our guests.
Above all, I am glad to hear that you appreciated your first stay here.

Concerning your last visit, I am sorry our Classic room did not meet your expectation. However, I would like to inform you that this room type is sold in allotment only on the third party web-site where you bought it, whereas you can find the Junior Suite and the Deluxe rooms on our official web-site. Obviously, considering that they are very different types of rooms, whit different prices, they have also different characteristics.

Instead, with regard to the behavior of our receptionist, I hope you can accept my most sincere apology. We already provided to reproach him in order that such episodes will not occur at all in future.

Anyway, our Hotel Manager will directly contact you to apologize for the inconvenience.

We are honored you chose our home for your stay in Venice and we hope to see you soon to serve once more your lodging needs.

Best regards,

Francesco La Pietra
Qualità e Controllo di Gestione
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant'Elena
Lexington, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

We were a bit surprised and initially put off by the location of his hotel in relation to the City but we quickly realized that it was pleasant respite from the commotion of the City. We found the rooms to be on the small side and the front desk staff to be essentially useless and uncaring - matching the pomposity of Venice itself. Many who traveled with us felt that the walk to St. Mark's was an unsafe thing to do (and depending on the weather could be quite taxing) and all opted for water transportation which was conveniently located nearby. Directions from the boats to the hotel could be better as cold the lighting along the path but it is a fairly easy walk. The hotel is a Best Western so adjust your expectations accordingly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
FrancescoLaPietra, Responsabile relazioni con la clientela at Best Western Premier Hotel Sant'Elena, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
Dear Guest from USA,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment on our BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant’Elena on TripAdvisor. We are sure that any comments, either positive or negative, from our clients are important to improve the quality of our hotel.

First of all, I am glad you enjoyed the location of our hotel.

Concerning our room and our hotel staff, I am sorry they did not fully meet your expectation, please accept my sincere apology.

We are honored you chose our hotel for your stay in Venice and we hope to see you soon to serve once more your lodging needs.

King regards,

Francesco La Pietra
Qualità e Controllo di Gestione
BEST WESTERN PREMIER Hotel Sant'Elena
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed for nearly two weeks with two young children and grandma. The hotel accommodated 5 of us in a double with cot. What was awesome was the cleanliness, modern touches with a/c, hearty breakfast and location. If you love the beach and the city and have kids then this is the perfect spot- it's situated between the beaches and city and near a playground. The kids played everyday with the local children and learned a bit of Italian. This was a fantastic experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank suze_p123
wolverhampton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We chose this hotel on the basis of reviews and were not disappointed. The brisk 15-20 minutes walk to St. Mark's is most enjoyable and ensures a quieter stay. Comfortable rooms and excellent service all round, particularly in the restaurant where they coped with my daughter's gluten-free dietary needs and our poor Italian with aplomb. Good value for Venice, and strongly recommended.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Richcott
Worcestershire, GB
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Once again - Five Stars for this Four Star Hotel.

Our EIGHTH year at the Hotel Sant’Elena was just as enjoyable as our previous seven consecutive years there - the accommodation and service met our expectations perfectly as usual. Exceptionally good value and service as always.

We are seasoned travellers (I'm an artist / photographer) and we’re quite demanding when it comes to service and value for money. Once again, we upgraded to a Junior Suite at very reasonable cost and enjoyed our 7-night stay even more. We stayed in the standard "Classic" double bedrooms on our first four visits, which were perfectly fine, but our holiday dates now take in my wife's birthday on the 4th. July, so we're a touch more extravagant.

ACCOMMODATION: The variety of food is fine and lavishly plentiful, the rooms very comfortable and beautifully air conditioned, and the beds and bed linen are superb. The cleanliness is impeccable - I was VERY surprised to read an earlier review that criticised the standard of cleanliness - the care given to cleanliness is one of the things that always impresses us. The decor is modern, light, cool and airy. We've seen inside many of the other hotels on the island, the majority of which try to attract guests with reproduction Baroque or Rococo furniture and decoration - who would want to wake up to red flock wallpapered walls on a hot summer morning? It's a sign of a good employer that good staff are retained, and we were again looked after impeccably by the manager, Signor Rossi and his excellent team. We enjoyed dinner at the hotel more often than in previous years as the quality and service at one of our previously favourite restaurants, Al Diporto da Mario Baffo, has dropped markedly. The head waiter at Sant'Elena, Francesco, always reminds us how wonderful it is to be served by a waiter who takes a huge pride in his work, his professionalism adding to the dining experience. The hotel has a more limited menu than 'tourist' restaurants, but if you are a fan of fillet steak, or branzino (sea bass) cooked to perfection, as we are, you'll have a great experience, whether you're a resident or not.

LOCATION: Being in the only green area of the island, it's fresh, clean and very peaceful. A former convent, the hotel has a large enclosed lawned garden which is ideal for peaceful relaxation, sunbathing and breakfast in the morning sunshine. The hotel is literally only 200 metres from the vaporetto (public waterbus) stop on the edge of the Venice lagoon – absolutely ideal when arriving and departing. You’ll see plenty of distressed travellers during your visit trying to cope with lugging their heavy baggage around for an hour or two on foot at the start and end of their holiday in the heat of the mid-day sun. For first-time visitors, it's a little disorientating getting your head around travel and connections. Travel agents refer to "Venice and the Veneto" - well, you'll find that the majority of hotels listed are not actually on the main island of Venice at all, but on the nearby mainland. The main island of Venice is just that, and is surrounded by water. You'll arrive by air at either Marco Polo Airport, Treviso Airport (both on the mainland) or by road or rail via the causeway at the north end of the island. There are no roads, therefore no cars - transport is by foot or by water. From Marco Polo Airport (our preferred airport), you can walk to the nearby vaporetto / water taxi stop in ten minutes, or get a cab. It's a slight extravagance, but we indulge ourselves by booking a water taxi (a covered motor launch with open back) which takes us speedily and in style direct to the hotel in around 20 minutes at a cost of £90 (you can obviously share and halve the cost). For us, it's the only way to arrive. The alternative is the vaporetto (public waterbus) which is crowded, usually with standing room only. Much cheaper but much longer - will take you to the vaporetto stop at Sant Elena, from where the Hotel Sant'Elena is just a two minute walk. The vaporetto runs every ten minutes from Sant Elena, and will take you to St. Mark's Square in just 10 minutes (*don't forget to buy your multi-day pass for the vaporetto at the airport on arrival - unlimited walk on / walk off trips. A great way to end the day is to go to the vaporetto terminal, re-board a fresh vaporetto so that you can grab seats, and enjoy a 40-minute trip the whole length of the Grand Canal*). Or, if you feel like stretching your legs, St. Mark's is only a 20 minute leisurely stroll away along the lagoon edge, passing the Bienniale Gardens and the Arsenale / Maritime Museum (both extremely worthwhile attractions) – a beautiful stroll at sunset. In the opposite direction, the vaporetto will take you from Sant’Elena to the Lido in just one stop for a day lounging on the beach.

VALUE: The fact that we'll be back for our ninth consecutive year in 2014 says it all. The Hotel Sant'Elena is ideal for us, but do check out other 4 Star hotels for price and quality at Booking.com or Hotels.com though, just to satisfy yourself. We now book direct with the hotel via their own website for best price. When choosing your hotel, make sure that you ignore all claims about close proximity to St. Mark's Square - you'll certainly want to visit the Square, Basilica and Palace, but if you're anything like us, you'll definitely prefer a hotel well away from the madding crowd.

We believe that good service should be rewarded by recommendation, and quite a number of our friends have taken our advice and stayed at the Sant'Elena. All have been delighted that the hotel was as good as we said it would be. Great hotel, great location, consistently great service and excellent value. The mosquito we encountered at the hotel in 2007 is still the only bad thing we can say about this hotel.

We’ll be there again in 2014 for our 9th. stay - hopefully for two weeks this time, together with a party of friends from my days at art school. I've already answered a number of specific questions via Tripadvisor - I absolutely love Venice, so if I can help, drop me a line.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple