“Dessert was served before the entree so we ate it... Wrongg”
Review of Caffe Centrale

Caffe Centrale
Reserve with
Caffe Centrale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #109 of 1,494 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Trendoid place, artistic music videos on the wall, without subtitles saying who was playing. They brought spoons after the first course, then dessert. So we ate it. New trend? Then they came asking if we had eaten our entrees. Seems its not a new trend. It was just a computer error. The foie gras in the potatoe foam was as good as anything, ever. If the limoncello had have been cold, it would have been an unusual experience as it is they probably should bring a good old Italian restaurant papa to make everything work. I would go back for the food, although it is not at all Italian and I'd make sure, I got my entree before my dessert! First time this ever happened.

1  Thank johnbali

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This restaurant is very modern from the food to decor. They take a spin on traditional Italian dishes and make them modern and innovative. For example they had "foam" potatos with a squid in ink sauce, a traditional Venetian dish, but be warn it is very fishy. I had steak bites with mousse potatos, which was delicilous! We also shared a tiramisu that came in three parts, creating a new take on the dish. Overall the food was very good, and a change on traditional dishes. I have only two bad comments, the first is that the service was very slow and they were rude. We came without a reservation and asked for a table, they were very displeased that we did not have a reservation. They told us to come back in a half an hour, when we came back they told us there was a table, but it was actually in the lounge area. While the food was very good, I would have a reservation. Also I would not come here if you are in a hurry and looking for a quick dinner. Also it is a little tricky to locate just as a warning.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Having read reviews booked ahead and was not disappointed. Looking for somewhere different for a special meal with the new man in my life this was certainly the place. Took a bit of finding but well worth the effort. The food was fantastic and the atmosphere wonderful. Couple of pointers - do check your bill; they made a mistake on mine charging me for 3 half-bottles of a decent Chianti Constagliano instead of 2 (very apologetic for their mistake) and take a torch to the loos as the decor, whilst extremely stylish, is very dark!

1  Thank NewmanNorwich
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Really liked this bar and restaurant in the San Marco area. Great decor and atmosphere, staff were attentive but not intrusive. Centrale is a great place to start the night with a cocktail, have dinner or finish your evening with few late drinks. Definitely worth a visit.

1  Thank jotob39
Reviewed March 9, 2013

After looking for a place to eat on a Saturday night in Venice, I found the Caffe Centrale (near the Opera House). I also now know if you want to eat at a nice place, even dining alone, make a reservation. This was the third dinner place I tried after being turned back twice from other places, and I am glad I was. They were able to seat me without a reservation, probably because I was there at 8 pm. When I walked by later the place was absolutely packed. Since the menu was basically in Italian I needed some suggestions and the waiter was spot on. He recommended the Cappucinno -stock fish 'Baccala' Vicentina style with Béchamel Sauce served with a croissant, which I got in a smaller size as an appetizer. It was very good. The main course was the BEEF FILLET ALL’AMARONE (RED WINE SAUCE). This was served on a bed of spinach and creamed potatoes. It was excellent. I asked for medium and it came out, what I would describe in the States as more rare (but since I said nothing I cannot criticize it as I am sure they would have cooked it longer). Anyways it was terrific no matter how it was cooked. The atmosphere had a hip contemporary feel which matched perfectly with the decor. The staff was friendly and smiled and the service was better than I have experienced anywhere else in Europe, I would say it was closer to American service standards. My meal and a small bottle of wine came to 52 euro. What a deal. I would definitely come back here again and would recommend anyone to check this place out.

1  Thank SCCam94