“A new Centrale”
Review of Caffe Centrale

Caffe Centrale
Reserve with
Caffe Centrale is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #120 of 1,493 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I've been going to Centrale for years now, since I first discovered it whilst walking by after a concert. It has changed hands, and the new management seems to have retained a lot of the positives whilst providing a more reasonably priced dining experience.

We sat at the canal-side table as I always do, and enjoyed a few glasses of Augustiner Edelstoff beer instead of the usual wine or prosecco. It was a hot, balmy evening and this seemed the better option. We also had a small portion of the veal involtino and the raw salmon. I was pleasantly surprised by the €38 bill for two. The food wasn't outstanding but it wasn't bad either, just what we needed at midnight. I really appreciate the fact they offer you a small, medium and large portion of almost everything on the menu.

The place is great, the wine list fantastic, I'm delighted with the tap beer selection (Trappist, Sierra Nevada, John Smith's, and Augustiner), and the experience is delightful late at night when all else is closed and you can feel - but not hear - the whisper of a passing gondola.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

We had tickets for La Fenice, so chose this place because it's close. It was a (pleasant) surprise. On a canal, very modern and trendy decor. We were early (for Venice) - 8pm, so only one other couple there. This is a gastronomique restaurant - meaning it does the new style of cooking. We had veal shoulder... it came in a can! One of the desserts was a 'deconstructed' tiramisu. Certainly unusual presentations, but everything tasted very good! So, not the place for you if you are looking for the traditional dishes. But great if you want an unusual, tasty experience. Not cheap!

1  Thank OpaHal
Reviewed August 1, 2012 via mobile

Great food with a twist. Not your typical Italian place I would label this as a Venician Fusion but DELICIOUS and very helpful staff. It is a great setting and all plates had wonderful presentation and full of flavor.

My main was the smoked salmon which when presented was opened and the steam/smoke that rose was full of the aroma of the wood used in the smoking process.

You won't be disappointed and a must try if you are looking for a break from pasta.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

We got here by chance, during the break at Fenice opera, for an aperitivo. We drunk here the best spritz ever, together with tasty appetizers. The environment is dark with soft lights. It is very cool and stylish; I felt like being in NY.... Which is really a new for Venice as the most part of restaurant are typical, with venetian style. We enjoyed our drink so much that we went back for dinner after the opera end. We had a fantastic tuna hamburger and a good prawns salad. The only thing I didn't like was that vegetables were not enough cooked. Cakes are something fantastic....I've tried a delicious tiramisu. The reason why I put four as ranking is because the service is not so good. The girl who was attending to our table was slow and not so kind. She forgot a couple of things and seemed to be upset. On the other hand the other waiters were really kind. The very particular thing of this restaurant is that you could arrive directly by boat. There is also a really romantic table directly on a channel.

Reviewed June 28, 2012

My husband and I are big fans of the sister restuarant Caffe Concerto in Favaro Veneto. When we found out that they were opening up in Venice at the super stylish Centrale, we were super excited! The atmosphere is modern yet cozy as is the food. Must haves: Beef Cheeks with Spuma di Patate or the deliciously cooked to perfection Chateaubriand. In a city where you tend to feel you are being nickled and dimed... this restaurant stands above the rest. Can't wait to go back!

Grazie Gigi e staff! Brittany