“Great service, great food”

Osteria ai Assassini
Ranked #537 of 1,476 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Marco
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We came across this place thanks to a recommendation from a local, and were very glad we did. Thinking it may be busy, we made a reservation, but when we arrived at 9pm we were the only ones in the restaurant. As the place is tucked down at the end of a small alley, it must go unnoticed by many people, but it deserves to be noticed more.

When we arrived we were greeted warmly by the waiter and handed a menu, which is apparently different every day, as the seafood is freshly caught by the day. Choosing a seafood platter to share for the appetiser was a great choice, as all of it was wonderful. And a great chance for myself to sample octopus for the first time!

For our main dishes, they were happy to provide something from off the menu - spaghetti alle vongole - and the sea bass was cooked perfectly and tasted as good as it looked, which was excellent! The house wine we had to accompany the food was great too.

Having heard of how expensive a city Venice can be, we were pleasantly surprised at the price for the meal, being very reasonable.

If we'd stayed longer in the city, we'd definitely have eaten here again, and would return if we find ourselves in Venice in the future!

Reviewed August 10, 2013 via mobile

We only tasted first courses. All was high quality and good.
I would have liked to come again.
Pros: high quality food. Good house wine. Free Water in jugs.
Cons: the kitchen closes at 22:00 so we were rushed. The bread was low quality and dry. High copperto fees

Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

If your starving and require food then Osteria ai Assassini will assassinate the hunger for you, Requiescat en pace! With a variety of meals alternating everyday, the dishes will suprise you like a hidden blade. Tucked away in a small alley means there are not so many people but it is as quiet as a Assassin on a rooftop (with some good music in the background). Patience is key as it looks as if one man is doing many jobs.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

We loved this place. The waiter translated the short (it changes daily) menu to us. The food was fresh, innovative and (for Venice) not extortionate. A great little find in a cute location.
The pizzeria next door Rosa Rossa is also very good and the bar on the corner does a fabulous Spritz.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Just awful. Please do yourself a favour and avoid this restaurant. The service was poor - we waited at least 45 minutes to an hour before food arrived. I say food, it wasn't our food because we were presented with an anemic looking liver dish that neither my boyfriend nor I had ordered. When we explained this to the waiter, he grumpily removed the dish and proceeded to have a loud argument with the man who had taken our order who then pointed angrily at us and went into an angry rant that (thankfully) we couldn't understand.

When our food did arrive I can't say the situation improved. My boyfriend had ordered a chef's daily special which turned out to be a sorry slop of vegetables and a poor selection of greasy meat. I had ordered scallopini, which unfortunately I mistook for scallops (it is actually veal escalope), but as with the rest of our holiday I went on the assumption that although I might not understand exactly what was on the menu, I was game for trying anything once for the experience! I wouldn't have minded (it was my mistake after all) but the veal was just terrible. It was indistinguishable from any unidentified fried meat you might get from a dodgy fast food place. The veal just came with a few chips - which were fine, but very salty and not really what I'd expect from a little Venetian restaurant slightly off the tourist trail. There was no moisture to the dish other than a little pot of tomato ketchup bought out with the dish. I wouldn't even consider making this dish at home as a speedy dinner on a busy evening after work.

The wine was alright and the decor was ok.

The music was dreadful. It was like we were in a cheap bar - it was just trashy chart music, there was a particularly bad lady gaga cover that graced the evening.

On top of all this, it was hideously expensive. Avoid.

4  Thank Puddle-Duck12