“Looked great and food good, but left a bad taste!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Al Timon
Ranked #103 of 1,409 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian, Wine Bar
Good for: Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Drinks, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Cannaregio
Leicestershire
“Looked great and food good, but left a bad taste!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

We stayed nearby and had read some good reviews so decided to seek it out. Looked fantastic when we found it on our last evening. Lovely location with lots of people inside and outside the bar. Lots of atmosphere and lively without being overly noisy and uncomfortable. We found a table inside and ordered our drinks and food from the bar. Could not find any menus as would have liked to have ordered a proper meal. However the cicchetti looked wonderful and I ordered a plate of 10 mixed (did not know what most of them were so let the staff member choose) a glass of red wine and a little of water €15 total. Not bad as the food was delicious and so was the wine. We sat down for around 30 minutes and were just about to order more and another drink when a male member of staff asked us to move as someone had reserved the table!! We had been joined by another couple at the table who had just finished eating their food when we were told to move so as there was nowhere else to sit we all rather reluctantly left. Shame as we were really enjoying our last evening up until then and decided to return to the hotel as did not feel like walking around to find somewhere else. Not the best service I have ever had and not made to feel welcome. They were very busy and it was reflected in the service. We did not mind a long wait to be served but I did mind being told to move to make way for someone else at the table.

Visited October 2012

• Greek first
“Nice beer but still hungry!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

After reading the positive reviews about this place and also receiving a recommendation from our host we thought this is a place not to be missed! Now, I am definitely not one to express all my thoughts and to write reviews on TA, this is my very first review. I think that the experience we had at this restaurant was surely worth noting.

After a very long but pleasant day walking the city we decided to venture to Al Timon to get a bite to eat. We arrived at 9pm and fortunately managed to get a table as it was very busy and full of locals, there seemed to be a great buzz about this place. We sat down and waited...........and waited, for service that never came. We were not even acknowledged as I tried to flag down a couple of staff. Now, not to get all uppity, I decided to go directly to the bar and place my order for drinks and ask for a menu.

Drinks successful, menu?? Well, for some very strange reason this is the point where it turned very weird!......
"Are you still doing food?", "could I have a menu to look at?". My response after she had picked up a menu from one of the shelves behind the bar, looked at it, returned it to the shelf and then in very rude manner said, "um....um....do you have a table?", and " I don't know, you have to ask this man!" (The waiter who I had tried to flag down). I asked him, he went up to the bar and pulled out the same menus that the girl had been looking at. But, being VERY weird and coy, he turned his back to me looking out the corner of one eye at me, fiddled with some pages of this menu for a little while, put the menus back on the shelf, told me to sit down outside on my seat and wait for good service and someone will come!
I sat back down with my drink, told the Mrs of the weird situation, waited for service.......waited.......waited, tried to flag him down, blatantly and rudely ignored, again! Finished our drinks, then left!

I can't believe the service in this place, it was so poor and so weird! My question is, is there a hidden agenda with this lot? As we are tourists, maybe there is one price for us and one price for them? Maybe, they didn't have "tourist" menus last night??
Please bear in mind that 90% of the customers were all eating food and food was still leaving the kitchen. To which looked fantastic.

I will never go back or recommend this place to anybody.

4 Thank woggy82
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“You Won't be disappointed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Al Timon is on Fondamente Ormesini Cannaregio just a few yards from the wooden bridge,Very popular with young and old alike.Really good tapas good prices, excellent wine.For meat eaters everything including horse beautifully cooked and presented.Opens about 7 p.m.Ask for Michela

Visited October 2012
Omagh, United Kingdom
“Do NOT Miss This Place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Our favourite area made even better by this little piece of heaven. This place seems to have all the trendy locals frequenting daily.

We first stopped for a glass of wine as it was always really busy. They have a seating area on a boat outside too.

Good selection of wine, although wine by the glass measures are far too small. Would b happy to pay an extra euro for a decent measure.

They have a great selection of italian bar nibbles; cichette. All lovely and €1 each.

We saw other tables with huge steak dishes so we asked for a table. Do not expect restaurant quality service and do expect to wait, it definitely is worth it. We shared a gnocchi starter with courgette, bacon and olive oil. It was lovely, beautiful fresh gnocchi, first time I've ever enjoyed courgette too!

Then we got the chateaubriand. It was amazing. Probably the best steak we've had, perfectly cooked and seasoned. It came on a wooden platter with lovely home cut chips, white beans, rocket, roasted peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, aubergine and a dipping sauce. All perfectly cooked.

It was a massive meal, easily enough for 3 normal eaters but it was so tasty we had no problem finishing it. Was €85 euro for one starter, the main for two and a bottle of prosecco.

We went back for the same meal a second time and it was just as good if not better. This time we got a bottle of the house red. Really nice, 20 euros for 1.5 litres.

Amazing meal, worth the money. Already decided we'd come bank to Venice for this alone.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Empty tables, but no service after 30 minute wait!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2012

The only downer of our trip to Venice. Happened upon this hoppin' spot around 930pm...people sitting outside on the canal in the Carnareggio sestiare. Popped inside, also buzzing but a few tables opened up. Grabbed a spot with our fresh pressed grapes and prosecco and waited....and waited..and waited. Servers kept going by, tried to flag them down, to no avail. After alomst 30 minutes, we moved on. MUCH better hospitality little way down the fondamente at Rioba. Go there instead!

• Visited September 2012