“Attractive Restaurant in Dorsoduro without a View”

Al Casin dei Nobili
Ranked #1,098 of 1,426 Restaurants in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Dorsoduro / Accademia
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Attractive Restaurant in Dorsoduro without a View”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Conveniently situated near the popular Campo Santa Margherita this restaurant seems to have attracted some rather uncomplimentary reviews of late. I can only say that when we visited the place my wife and I were so impressed we returned for more and it became one of our favourite eating places during our four day visit to Venice.
The main restaurant gives the impression at night as being under cover while actually you are eating in the open air as the room has a large sliding roof. Some reviewers have mentioned there is a nice view but sadly this is not the case, and I feel they are confusing this place with another restaurant that does have a canal view and a very similar name.
This restaurant has a very lively atmosphere and is nicely decorated with lots of photos and paintings. The menu is extensive with many interesting Venetian dishes as well as a variety of pizzas. We chose a delicious starter of carpaccio of pineapple with prawns – a dish I had never seen before. For mains I had sea bass and my wife chose sea bream and both were of excellent quality. On another occasion we chose a steak which again was well cooked and delicious. The menu contains some quite unusual dishes that are not to be found in other restaurants of this type as well as a variety of excellent pasta dishes.
My only minor criticism concerns the service. The staff appear to be rushed and under pressure, which at times due to the numbers of people they are serving, they obviously are. They are a little unfriendly although I have to admit they were efficient and didn’t keep people waiting.
The prices were very reasonable for Venice with a good house wine at €13. A three course meal cost us around €40 a head which we felt was excellent value.

• Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Good food, good value”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

the resaurant has a large menu, with nice fish dishes. We ordered the mixed fish antipasto which was excellent, and the Orata filet with almonds, which was nicely done and delicate. I also took a seafood pasta with broccoli.I thought the broccoly was much overcooked, but on the whole it is a very good dish too.
They also serve pizza but only in the evenings.
The ambience is a bit too loaded with photos, pictures and decorations of many sorts, but interesting.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Yossi A
Plano, TX,USA
“Giid seafood and garden”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Was staying at the Palazzo Stern and was looking for a quick dinner, nearby. I ordered the mixed seafood salad and the spaghetti with ink sauce. The salad had a variety of pickled fish and octopus mixed with potatoes on a bed of arugula- nice. The ink sauce had a subtle flavor that complimented the al dente spaghetti. My son and wife enjoyed the Margarita and Diavola pizzas. After dinner I was presented with a complimentary grappa. I'm not a grappa expert, but this particular variety was reminiscent of tequila-interesting.

Portland, Oregon
“It's become a tourist trap - avoid”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

When we first came to Venice several years ago, this was a favorite spot - lively setting, nice atmosphere, welcoming staff, good solid food. Our latest trip there was very disappointing. The wait staff was not welcoming at all. The atmosphere in the place was boring. The food was inconsistent - I had a good piece of fish, but my wife did not like the way her food was prepared and let the wait staff know, and they didn't even try to help us. I would not come back, and would not recommend you go, either.

• Visited July 2013
Cambridge, England
“Another tourist trap - sadly”
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

I think rhis place has changed hands. It ued to be good. Its still a great location but the food is very mediocre and the choice is very limited.
And everything is too much triouble so dont ask for separate checks or tomato with your cllam pasta. These things are straightforward elsewhere in Venice but not here. This is thevrestaurant that likes tp say No. Stay for the views if you like or go elsewhere.