“We had a nice lunch”

Ristorante La Calcina
Reserve with
Ristorante La Calcina is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #302 of 1,416 Restaurants in Venice
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings, Romantic, Scenic view
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Toronto
“We had a nice lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

I was last at this restaurant in September 2011 with my daughter for dinner. We had just arrived that day and were jet-lagged, so ate close to our hotel near the Accademia Bridge. The next day we took a walking tour with a local and he told us we'd been lucky, as that was the only good restaurant on the Zattere promenade. It was definitely the best dinner we had in Venice that trip.
Now I'm back with my husband and we're staying in Cannareggio. We happened to be near the Accademia around lunch time, so we walked over to see if the restaurant was still there. It was raining, so no eating on the water, unfortunately. We went to sit outside under the awning and were told it was just for drinks. That's nice to know if you just want a drink - and they served a little bowl of pistachios with a drink.
It had been pouring rain and I had on the tourist uniform of backpack and hooded jacket. The dining room room looked a little elegant for my attire, so I dropped my wet things near the umbrella stand.
We were seated quickly and served drinks and bread quickly. Always a good sign to me. My husband ordered soup and gnocchi. I order the beef carpaccio with arugula, olives and Parmesan. The carpaccio was perhaps the best I've ever had. Soft and tasty, not hard and salty. The salad was huge, so my husband helped me with it and I helped him with the gnocchi, which were excellent.
Good service, cold drinks, good bread, great food and large portions. I'll go back!
One odd thing about some of the previous reviews. Why do several of them call the restaurant La Calcina? It's La Piscina!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Pdufton

St. John, United Kingdom
“DELIGHTFUL PLACE FOR LUNCH”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2014

We dropped in here on spec, and had a delightful and well cooked lunch at a very reasonable price by Venice standards. The room was charming, with a lovely view over the water, and the staff were attentive and friendly. The menu was appetising and they certainly know how to serve fish! In summer you can sit outside by the water, which must be a pleasure. As a bonus, the restaurant turns out to bein the building where Ruskin lived in Venice. Well worth a detour.

• Visited January 2014
Brussels, Belgium
“Nice surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

The small dinning room over viewing the water is nice, romantic and decorated in a italian rustic chic style. Really what we wanted.

The service is pro and the price is really reasonable. We were amayzed That for the price the portions are big. Shared a delicious san Daniel ham and citrus sorbet, then my veal liver venitian style was amayzing. Super good and unexpensive wine.

To recomand in this city where eating Well usually means paying a lot... Not here... You Spend a nice Time in a nice cozy italian atmosphere with great food.

• Visited November 2013
York, United Kingdom
“Good risotto”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

I consider myself something of risotto connoisseur. Hardly a week goes by when I don't cook it and if I say so myself I'm pretty damn good at it. Which means I seldom eat risotto when I dine out as it is so often a disappointment typically being either overcooked, reheated, too dry or too sloppy. Seldom just right. But as it is something of a speciality in Venice I thought I'd take a gamble and go for it. And I'm pleased to say that Caffe la Piscina did a good job of their seafood risotto. Flavoured with saffron and packed with shrimp & squid it was very tasty. And nicely al dente too. Happy days. Their tiramisu is also pretty good. Probably over-priced for what you get (€17 for the risotto, €8 for the tiramisu) but it is in a great location and in summer I am sure the seating outside and the fine views make up for the extra outlay.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank eddymaya
Mooresville, North Carolina
“La Calcina Restaurant, Venice”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

Additional to the restaurant's extraordinary water-way view, the menu serves a purpose, & that, my dear friend, is to please. Exceptional service in a well-dressed atmosphere--meaning there is nothing "shabby" about this establishment. We found our first dinner to be exceptional. In fact, we did not have reservations on a busy night; however, in spite of a scramble for table space, they were kind enough to find us a table with a view. Our waiter was excellent. The food was excellent. The view was something one dreams about experiencing ... in dear Venice .... Ah, Venice .... What a splendid place .... What attention to the customer .... What exceptional service .... And to witness this beauty at the La Calcina is marvelous. Hope to see you here soon .... I'm not leaving!

And in the early morning, as Venice gets dressed for the day, one can takes one's breakfast at ease. Watching, as one sip's one's coffee, as people hustle past on their way....

And a great restaurant to view a Venice morning is sitting outside the La Calcina. Yes, the earth turns & Venice continues ... So very happy to have been a part of it, in Venice, at the La Calcina in the early morning as the sun rises ....

• Visited October 2013