“Still Venice's Best”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Polo
Reviewed April 10, 2016

I just dined at La Zucca twice during a three day stay in Venice, and when I saw recent mediocre reviews I just had to add my own review. For the prices they charge, and the quality and variety of food they offer, I do not know how you could find a better meal in Venice. The one night I was forced to eat elsewhere (Zucca closes on Sundays) I spent double the money and had truly dreadful food at a place recommended to me by hotel staff. Yes, you must make reservations in advance, and yes the menu is in ITALIAN... this IS Italy! I have watched waiters and waiters painstakingly and patiently go through the menu with people who did not understand Italian and translate EVERY DISH, so I don't know if some of the prior reviewers caught a waitress on a bad day, but I find the servers to be extremely gracious. Meanwhile, the food remains excellent... I had pumpkin soup, the pumpkin flan appetizer, delicious pastas, curried carrots, delicious desserts. This is a great place for you if you are vegetarian as there are many veggie selections, but also great meat dishes too. Many people I have sent to this place told me it was their favorite meal in Italy, so I cannot fathom how people can criticize it, but it's OK... stay away and I will have an easier time getting reservations! Grazie, La Zucca!

Date of visit: March 2016
Write a ReviewReviews (2,800)

Reviewed April 7, 2016 via mobile

This restaurant is Michelin starred so we thought we would give it a try but it was nothing special. The first time we visited the restaurant was full so we had to book in advance and return a few days later. It is a shame that they didn't have the menu in English. There was only one waitress that knew english and she helped to translate the menu but she only did it once and glared at us when we asked again. It didn't seem like she wanted people in the restaurant! I didn't really enjoy the food or the company provided. Although, the desserts were tasty we ordered the chocolate mousse, semi freedom and the mango dessert. That was the best thing out of the meal. The portion size is quite small though for a hefty price!

3  Thank Princess_Shaista
Reviewed April 6, 2016 via mobile

The food really lives up to the expectation. Menus are only in Italian which I have no issue with but our waitress was not exactly service with a smile when asked to engage on the translation which unfortunately took the edge off our overall experience. There were only 4 starters which did not concern me as all sounded great. I went with the artichoke soufflé which was superb. I then had the veal which was also very good. It's rated is justified if you just base it on the food.

Reviewed April 5, 2016 via mobile

Simply I've never been treated like that I'm a tourist and I believe we have to be treated accordingly, but not for this place. Venice has been amazing, apart from them. Tried a table one night and was full, and no one could come to us and say properly, just kind of ignore us and told us off. Tried next day believing that the treatment the day before was because they were busy, but next day same thing. I ask if I could book a table for me and my wife and same treatment. Rude employee at the door just answered: "Go inside and check.", after I asked if I could book a table. It says that they have Michellin stars, but I hardly can see why, as those so deemed stars involves every aspect of the business. Simply disappointed.

1  Thank MateusM43
Reviewed April 5, 2016 via mobile

We've tried twice to go in this restaurant, first time we walk in and no one could help us, the chef saw us but he pretend he wasn't seeing us, we walk further inside and finally someone came and said really rude there was fully booked. We left really upset with the type of treatment. But next day we've tried again, thinking that we were unlucky the day before, this time we stop at the door and one of the member staff came outside and didn't look to us but anyway we asked if we could book a table and was 7pm, they were doing set up and very rude again another member of staff said: go inside and check. We got really surprised again with a restaurant with Michelin stars that treat customers like that. Probably they don't need more customers or don't train the staff properly. Nonetheless, I don't recommend. 1 day it's fine, but 2 days is asking to much.

5  Thank Helena_Fer