“2 Very enjoyable Meals”

Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: San Polo
Reviewed February 14, 2013

We visited La Zucca on a Saturday evening during the Carnavale. I had researched this restaurant before we went, as we were looking for somewhere with good vegetarian choices. Fortunately we booked about a week ahead, as when we arrived they were full and turned many people away during the course of the evening. Our meal was good, as was the service and it was great to have such a good choice. We decided to go back again on our last day in Venice for lunch, and were lucky to be served without a reservation, although the restaurant did fill up shortly after we had arrived. On both occasions we ate 3 courses with wine, water, coffee and service and paid around 85 euros (for 2 people) which is extremely good for Venice.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,624)

Reviewed February 9, 2013

I had read the reviews for La Zucca and pre-booked for the evening of my birthday expecting a great experience. How wrong I was!
First impressions were OK. We were seated at the front of the restaurant by a window and given the menus but the initial service was excruciatingly slow. As the menus are only in Italian we needed help as we could only work out certain bits with our limited Italian. It took ages for someone to come back to us - in this time we hadn't been given any bread (whereas other people who came in afterwards had been) and no drinks order had been taken.
When we were seen our server - we think it was the owner - patiently described the full menu to us and we opted for the pumpkin tart, pate, osso bucco and chicken curry. The drinks took a while to come but the food was pretty fast. Hubby's pate was fine but I have to say the pumpkin tart was stunning - the best tasting food I had been served in Venice so I was hopeful for the rest of the meal. However the mains turned up virtually as soon as we had finished the starters. And what a disappointment. The osso bucco was just so-so. The accompanying sauce was a congealed mess. I had such high hopes after my starter. The chicken curry was better and tasted like an authentic home made Indian meal. However the drink hubby had ordered when the mains turned up never materialised.
At the end of the meal we had been there less than an hour - most of which had been waiting to get served at the start. I like to make an evening of a meal out and the lack of any gap between courses wasn't great. We really didn't feel in the mood to stay for dessert. When we asked for the bill they realised we hadn't got the drink we'd ordered and they took the cover charge off without being asked.
Maybe we would have been happier if we had ordered the veggie dishes but the underlying issues around service wouldn't have changed. There is nothing more annoying than going out for a special occasion to a highly recommended restaurant and having very poor service and only so-so food. It may be that we were unlucky but this is an accurate review of our actual experience.

1  Thank Jo M
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Called in without a reservation but got a table sharing with another couple. It turned out to be a very pleasant experience, both for the food and the company. There are many vegetarian dishes but also meat and fish. I had a vegetarian platter which was excellent. My partner had a goulash which was also excellent. We shared a limoncello mousse that was a pure delight. The staff were very helpful and attentive. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

1  Thank Tomacork
Reviewed February 2, 2013

It is a hidden gem. We found it through Tripadviser "near me" as we are staying in Tripadviser #1 hotel Al Ponte Mocenigo. With an understated shopfront you might miss it, but La Zucca's interior is thoughtfully decorated and the table settings are just stylish but not over donem. The owner and waiter are cheerful, very friendly and the service is professional. The dishes we had are delicious and well presented: for entree, pumpkin souffle and cream soup are delightfully tasty; for main, beef goulash is full of flavour and vegetable routatoulle is very very good; for dessert, Manderin pudding with almond has complex flavour and very refreshing. To us the dishes are more contemporary than traditional. For those who prefer tasty food without too mush oil or salt, La Zucca's is an ideal place to go. The prices are very reasonable as well: around €10 for entree, most mains are under €20, and many vegetable side dish choices only €6 each, desserts are only €7 each. It looks like they have more Italian customers there. The young couple next to us come from few hundred km away outside Venice. The man told us that he had a dinner here some years ago and remembered it, now comes back again! It doesn't have an English menu, only a simple Italian/English food words look-up table, but the waiter explains the dishes to us very well in English. We will definately come back to eat here again.

2  Thank Chris L
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I had a lovely meal here but ended up wishing I'd ordered differently. Why? Because all the vegetable dishes that people around me were eating looked stunningly good. If they were as good as my starter of Pumpkin in saor they would have been magnificent. The pumpkin was an unusual dish and an unusual dish for me to order. It was a clever take on a Venetian classic method of cooking using the restaurants 'signature' ingredient. Usually I'm a bit ambivalent about pumpkin but this dish has made me think again - I guess I was right to think they would have to know what they were doing with this particular ingredient.

I then moved on to a pasta and ragu dish - well made, classic tasting, very comforting.

My third course was a stew of wonderful, fat little sausages stewed with beans. Oh my was it good!

So food was lovely, service friendly, happy to leave me to done and read, gently moving me along when a large party arrived for their booking and they needed the space.

The restaurant itself is quite cozy, though I'm not keen on the rather 80s diagonal wood paneling . In summer when the windows are open it must be a delight. It's not far from the Piazza San Geremia in a lovely quiet bit of Venice.

Do look it out.