“I'd stay again”

A Venice Fish
Ranked #156 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Venice
“I'd stay again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

If you just need a clean bed to sleep in and for a good price, it's great. Great to have WiFi. It's a bit messy looking in the main hall, and yes, the stairs and main entry are dark, but not a big deal. The guy in charge was kind, helpful, flexible and friendly. Location is great. Could be confusing to find, and no outside signage to help.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Polish first
Sofia, Bulgaria
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 22, 2012

Venice Fish is 4 min walking distance from water bus stop. Typical Venice Style building, private bridge ;-) Huge common area with a lot of fun with the owners and other guests ! We were 3 guest, the choice of one of us was to spent his time on the balcony of Venice Fish admiring perfect view with glass of vodka ! Thanks guys, we will come back !!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Christian G
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

This isn't the nicest looking hostel I've ever stayed at but I absolutely loved my stay at fish! The staff were so friendly and so so helpful! Considering Venice isn't exactly a party area the big common area in the hostel meant everyone ended up having a great time in the hostel! The hostel is in a fantastic location with an incredible view. I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2012
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012

This place is perfect. The staff is extremely friendly and takes guests out in Venice every night. There is a big common room with a great view over the plaza and the canal that runs in front of the hostel. Sangria is served every night. The showers are hot and the beds are comfortable. Don't stay anywhere else!

• Stayed July 2012
Main Beach, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2012

My husband and I booked this hostel as there were no vacancies over the easter period, unless it was $500+ per night.

Unlike other travellers, we did not find it hard to get to. They had instructions how to get there on the bottom of the booking form...

It was unorganised chaos when we got there, albeit friendly. The two guys running it were Australian, so not an entirely authentic Italian experience.
They don't have double beds available, but it was only for one night. We didn't feel or hear of any bed bugs whilst we were visiting. After 8pm, sangria and beer came out (in a huge saucepan), and everyone started drinking...a lot! Drinking games were getting loud so hubby and I went out to get away from the noise, had a gelato, wandered the streets, it was lovely. We came back just when the others were heading out, so we got a few hours sleep. Not sure what time they got back, but obviously intoxicated, they weren't aware of lights being switched on and loud conversations.

If you're a couple, or want to stay in Venice to see the tourist attractions, this isn't the place to go. If you're looking for like minded young people to get drunk and party with, this will be the place for you!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Edmonton, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

My booking was made with Venice Fish but when we got there we were told the rooms were fully booked and we were being upgraded to a nicer hostel 10 minutes away. First of all the venice fish was hard to find as there was no markings at all and when we found it and carried our luggages up the steep dark stairs we were told we had to venture to another hostel. Well the second hostel was nicer and much cleaner and less cramped, it had no wifi unlike what the manager promised and it had bed bugs!!! So disgusting. I got bite on my leg and all over my face even though I slept in a sleeping bag. On the first night I told the manager that I think I got bite and he told me that it wasn't a bed bug bite, with no wifi I couldn't even research what I was getting into and on my last night there I slept extra cautiously and stil ended up getting bite with trails on my face. HORRIBLE stay! I would never recommend to anyone. As well for some reason even though they said they were fully booked we spoke to other guests telling us there were empty beds all those nights... I would never send anyone there.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Venice hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012 via mobile

We stayed in A Venice Fish because we wanted to be within the city of Venice. That said, this hostel was less than great. It took us about 45 minutes of walking around/searching, and ultimately the help of another backpacker to find the place--no markings or signs at all. When we finally got in (the buzzer wasn't working, and the other backpacker had to yell up to a window), it felt like we had mistakenly stepped into a condemned building. Very dark and dirty. Thankfully, we did not end up staying in the main building--we were put in a secondary building 15 minutes away. The main area looked disgusting, but the secondary area where we stayed was clean, however, I was bitten by bed bugs on my shoulder and arm (my girlfriend was lucky and wasn't bitten). As well, the secondary area was on a major canal, so we got to fall asleep to the sound of boat traffic each night. Overall, very little bang for your buck.

• Stayed May 2012