“No sitting down BUT”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Neighborhood: San Polo
Reviewed January 13, 2013

if you want to experience Venezia as the Venetians do (trust me, I come from a family of Venetians, unfortunately live aboard but return whenever I can), come here for an aperitif after saturday morning grocery shopping (ideally for fresh veg and fish at the mercato nearby). Blissfull experience of dolce vita, even Rome can't beat this - at least not for me. Reds and whites are all well researched and quite delicious, tasty small bites though the eggplant fritters (polpette di melanzane) might be on the bland side of some palates.

2  Thank Silvia G
There are newer reviews for Al Merca

Reviewed December 30, 2012

A great little ‘hole in the wall’ wine bar (no seating) very close to the Fish Market, with lots of different wines by the glass – red, white, sparkling and rose – prices start at 2 euros a glass, so very reasonable.

It is very small, but a warming glass of red was welcomed on a cold, wet day! The proprietors were intrigued by our map marked with bar/café/restaurant recommendations written on by us and gave us their approval on several of these! There are also a number of small tapas-style snacks available to buy. Fun for a quick, cheeky glass at anytime of the day!

2  Thank IOWtravelbabes
Reviewed December 13, 2012

The place is right by the Rialto Bridge on a back plaza. Great sandwich choices to enjoy with a spritz. Sandwiches were all delicious, can't remember what we had. I think for four snacks and two glasses of spritz it came to 10 Euros. So very reasonable.

1  Thank IluvEurope
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Located just next to the Rialto bridge in an area crawling with pub, we arrived to Al Marca almost by mistake but we weren't disappointed, it's easily one of the best place we went to in venice. Great selection of wine at very reasonable prices. No seating available but the you can take your drink for a small walk all over the place.

1  Thank Elchibz
Reviewed September 30, 2012

After reading a few travel books about Italy, we wanted to find a little sandwich joint in Venice to enjoy with some prosecco. Al Marca was everything we were looking for.

I wasn't sure what any of the sandwiches were initially beside being able to identify the meat (my Italian needs some work), so we pretty much got 6 different sandwiches (variety pack) and 2 glasses of prosecco. We walked about 50 yards and sat along the canal and enjoyed our meal in the shade.

One of the sandwiches (something with Proscutto and Truffles) was so good that I went back there and ordered 2 more to go. I'm still tallying votes...but...definitely was a Top 3 Sandwich of my lifetime.

2  Thank Mario F