“A Must See”

28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“A Must See”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

I would think that the majority of people who visit Padua as a tourist do so to visit the Scrovegni Chapel - and so they should! Entrance must be booked in advanced and if you're spending and time in Padua the best option is to buy a Padua Card. The Chapel frescos are of course regarded as the finest work of Giotto and the rigidly enforced 15 minutes that each group gets seems to last about two. Look out particularly for his vision of Hell - truly frightening.

2 Thank Ian816

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Go Soon!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2013

I have visited the chapel twice, with many years in between. The differences demonstrate the difficulties in preserving our cultural heritage, both because of time and the number of persons who wish to visit these sites. the first trip, we bought a ticket, stood in a small line and then walked through the chapel at our own speed on an elevated platform that afforded a close up view at some of the most extraordinary frescoes anywhere. This time, the experience was as described in the review by Marley1034. It is much more difficult to see the frescoes now, because you are at ground level and they are not. 15 minutes is not really enough time to absorb the cycle, but that's all you get and it is crowded down there. I understand the need for the precautions, because the frescoes are slowly fading. I would try to see them soon. They are definitely worth the trip.

Visited March 2013
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Tips to tickets/entry”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed in Padova and had to see the chapel.When we checked the internet ticket purchase there was availability showing but you have to pay by credit card (which we did not have with us) so the next morning 3rd Nov we went to the chapel at 9am to see if we could get a ticket for the same day (Sunday). The lady at the counter (and sign on the door) said they were full however we did not accept this and asked 3 times after which she said they had tickets for the 17:40 entry !!! When we got outside the door we noticed there were only 21 people waiting to enter the chapel (from previous time) so there must have been "no shows" when we entered there were 29 of us!!!! not the stated max 25, everyone was allowed in and no questions were asked. My advice would be to get a ticket for the day you want, go to the chapel and you can wait outside the entrance to the acclimatization room for as long as you want then enter when there is a space. I am 100% sure if we had done this we could have entered and at least an hour earlier than our ticket showed. There are seats outside the room or you could walk back into the musuem for a look around etc.

Definately worth a visit and amzing work.

Visited November 2013
Milan, Italy
68 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“An UNREACHABLE beauty!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have been in Paova to visit the town and I put the Cappella degli Scrovegni in my "to do list".
When I arrived there with my family (including kinds), what a disappointment!

First, we found a hand written sign with an arrow "entrance on the other side", ok walk around on the disconnected garden, I cannot imagine the inconvenience for wheel chair.

Then, at the "new" entrance another sign: "FULL", so we asked the lady at the ticket counter and we remained astonished: it was not possible to know if and when there was a chance to enter because the TICKET ARE SOLD (also?) VIA INTERNET, and they have no visibility. Auch, and so?

And so, nothing, no ticket no party!.
They surely have either enough visitors, or no specific interest, to allow the "regular visitors" to have access to this place, paying between 8 and 15 euro, of course.

Unfortunately this experience is perfectly in line with a disappointing visit in Padova, having a lot of places that you cannot visit betweem 11.30am and 3 or 4pm.
NOTE: SOME CHURCHES AND SOME TOURIST INFORMATION AND PUBLIC RESTOROOMS WERE CLOSED ON SATURDAY AFTER 12-1.30PM - IS THIS TOURISM WELCOMING?

I am not sure this town is interested in tourism, or may be around lunch time you must GO TO THE RESTAURANTS? May be it s an inference, but at the moment I have no other explanations.

I am not interested in coming there again, I had enough!

7 Thank fbonfi
Bedfordshire, England
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Enrico Scrovegni commissioned Giotto to decorate this chapel which he had built as an atonement for the life of his father - a usurer. Giotto painted the chapel between 1303 and 1305 and the result is one of the masterpieces of Western European art. The chapel is part of the museum complex where you can buy a timed entrance ticket. To protect the frescoes, visitors spend 15 min in a room attached to the chapel to prevent the ingress of outside air. But this is not time wasted as there is an interesting video on the history of the Scrovegni family, the chapel and Giotto. You then have 15 min in the chapel itself. Ideally this would be longer but, as numbers are limited, you have an opportunity to enjoy the frescoes without being jostled or struggling to see past a crowd. We went in early October and got a ticket for 45 min later. The museum and art gallery are also well worth a visit.

3 Thank Marley1034