“We were lucky...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osteria Al Peronio

Osteria Al Peronio
Ranked #214 of 1,031 Restaurants in Padua
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Florence
“We were lucky...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2011

En route home to Florence after a few days in Venice, we decided at the last minute to show our visiting cousin Piazza delle Erbe in Padova so lunch was merely a second thought. Consequently we didn't consult Trip Advisor as we normally do and dropped into the first restaurant that we passed by between our parked car and the Piazza. We were lucky! Osteria al Peronio was a very pleasant mixture of a friendly welcome and unexpectedly good food! Interesting, too. Since we passed everything around the table, I can affirm that my daughter's tuna croquettes were very good, her fried radicchio di Treviso a crunchy delight, my cousin's pappardelle with fresh porcini mushrooms was very good, my baccala mantecata needed only a dash of salt to make it perfect. Two of us followed with pizza and, since my preference is always for less rather than more as a pizza base, I was quite happy with my marinara (although no one ever puts quite enough garlic on it for my taste!) as was my daughter with her four cheeses. After coffee, a few steps brought us to the Palazzo della Ragione. In all, this was a happy foray into Padova.

• Visited November 2011

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Un ristorante di famiglia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2011

In fine weather you can eat in the square under canvas, in cold or very hot weather , you can eat in air-conditioned comfort and watch il pizzaiolo perform his act in the new pizza oven.
The restaurant is run by a family Pappa e Mamma sono camarieri and their son and daughter and daughter's boy-friend all work their socks off to give welcoming and prompt service. They obviously take immense pride in providing local cuisine and their burrata comes fresh daily from Puglia; it is without doubt the best I have ever tasted. My friend tells me their pizzas are superb with thin crisp pastry and wonderful authentic fillings. Prosecco ala spinata at 10 euros per litre might tempt you; just remember Oscar Wilde who could resist anything but temptation and enjoy a most memorable meal at a bargain price; you will not be disappointed.

• Visited June 2011