“In a notoriously dangerous area - don't go there”
Review of La Mimosa

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Mimosa
Ranked #57 of 78 Padua B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“In a notoriously dangerous area - don't go there”
Reviewed July 7, 2010

I'm sorry to say I booked into this place, and as I'm sat here writing this review (from my room at the B&B itself) I feel a bit guilty because Gianna who owns the B&B was lovely when I arrived. As it is, I am moving to another hotel tomorrow, more the 3 times the price, but I had to get out of here ASAP.

The B&B itself is very basic, but it's very cheap, so you can expect no less really. There are 3 bedrooms, all adjacent to each other. Non have air conditioning and all have windows that open up onto a shared balcony, accessible from a communal living room. Be aware that you can see into the bedrooms from the balcony... I have been caught lying nude on the bed because it was so hot. Which leads me onto my next point. Padova is hot and humid in the summer. The lack of air conditioning has been a real issue for me and I haven't slept much. You can open the windows as it starts to cool down in the early hours of the morning but there are lots of mosquitoes here.

The bathroom is shared and is basic. As a bonus however, there is a washing machine in the bathroom if you need to do a load of laundry! I have found the bathroom to be a bit dirty however, with pubic hair littering the surfaces and the floor.

Breakfast is a help-yourself to what's in the kitchen sort of a deal. Works for me. This is quite common in budget B&B's in Italy.

OK, the bit everybody should pay attention too. I came here because I wanted to cut costs by not staying in Venice itself, using the trains. Bad idea. Very bad idea. I didn't know anything about Padova so I'll tell you now what this area of it is like. I've been here for 3 days, I'm a 27 year old british guy, and I'm literally afraid coming home at night. The B&B is in a high-rise apartment block, much like a block of commission housing style apartments. It's in what I can only describe as an african ghetto. To get here, you turn right out of the station and walk along a busy road, then down the road the B&B is on. 10-15 mins, nothing more. However, this area is NOTORIOUSLY dangerous. I had absolutely no idea.

Typical scenario for me taking the last regional train home from Venice: Get to Padova station at 11pm, walk towards the footpath where there are a set of steps that lead up to the main road I need to take. At least one person will finger point to me, speaking among a group of friends (always large groups of african youths). As I pass, they will follow me, on bikes, saying "amico, amico, aspetta, aspetta". They'll follow me, occassionally riding in front, then behind for about 5 minutes while I, very nervously try to play it cool and ignore them. The further I walk, the more seem to join in the fun, coming from street corners and alleyways. Eventually they get bored and leave me.

Anyway, I've had enough of this ritual. I've asked some locals and they tell me this area is "the inferno" and that it's notoriously dangerous. I feel as if I'm going to be mugged if I don't move out, so I've booked into another hotel, moving first thing tomorrow. I hope this is useful to anybody thinking of staying here.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo