“Good but basic hotel”

Hotel Padova Casa del Pellegrino
Ranked #9 of 45 Hotels in Padua
Reviewed April 5, 2014

I have no criticism of this hotel: it is clean, the staff are friendly and the rooms are comfortable. However if you are looking to be pampered this is not the place for you! The rooms are spartan, with functional inexpensive furniture. It reminded me of a student dorm. That said the rooms are a good size, which isn't common in city centres in Italy. The hotel was right next to the church of San Antonio (which is stunning, by the way) and I had a lovely view of it from my room. It did mean, however, that the loud bells could be heard inside, although I didn't mind it at all. Breakfast was also quite minimal: not much choice and most of the food was industrial. We had dinner once and I have to say, I wouldn't want to do it again. The food was obviously frozen processed food. We had meatballs and they were horrid. However, I wouldn't mind staying here again (without dinner, of course) because of its location and lack of pretentiousness. All in all a decent place to stay.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank quince-essence

Reviewed February 4, 2014

This hotel was good fun. The beds were clean and the rooms were tidy. The staff were very friendly and helped us all throughout our stay. Breakfast in the morning was fresh and filling. Although you had to be up early to catch it! The hotel is not very keen on noisy people so try and stay quite when in the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael G
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed there 4 days 14/112013 to 17/11/2013.
Would recommend as a clean, friendly hotel overlooking the St Anthony's basilica.
Continental breakfast was good but would have preferred an English breakfast.

Certainly go back if we visit Padua again

Room Tip: Request one overlooking the basilica
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank M S
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I arrived in Padua this fall without reservations anywhere. To my disappointment, a hotel where I've stayed before was fully booked, but they referred me to Casa del Pellegrino and told me to ask for a room in the renovated section, which I did. While my room was absolutely basic and not at all memorable, the bed was comfortable, the room was spotless, the desk clerks were pleasant —and there was not a single thing to complain about even though I'm very fussy when it comes to hotels! It suited all my needs: clean, central, and inexpensive. I'd stay here again and spend the money I'd saved in Cafe Pedrocchi which is a treat that shouldn't be missed when visiting Padua.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank caren d
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Padova was full for a conference. Ended up here and it was a lucky find as far as location and parking. Basic in many ways. One of the mattresses had a sharp lump so check the beds . The city was a pleasant surprise and the location very interesting and walking distance to all the sights. Driving not the easiest so have a good map to reach the hotel.

Room Tip: Most are very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Found this hotel on Trip Advisor and it is a little gem. We booked a superior room via booking.com and were surprised what we got for the very reasonable price. The first rooms we were offered were just too small for a week's stay but the third room was perfect.

Whilst very basic with no little luxury touches such as toiletries we were quite satisfied. Thank goodness we had taken some extra coat hangers as the 5 they supplied were rather inadequate, and there was no minibar or safe. However they put my netbook and documents in the hotel safe when we went out for no charge.The air conditioning was wonderful as the temperatures soared to over 40 degrees for most of the week . That's over 110 degrees in centigrade, so getting about was tiring so it was lovely to return to a cold room and relax.

The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. They went the extra mile to ensure my daughter and I were safe and sound on our forays outside Padua, getting us bus and train times and pointing out cheap ways to to travel.

We got a bus to and from Venice Airport for 8.60 euros each way which takes you to the main bus and train station in Padua then a taxi took us the the hotel from between 7-11 euros depending on traffic. It is possible to walk but would take about half an hour to get across the city, certainly more if dragging suitcases.

We had a room overlooking the cathedral and it was glorious to see this in the early morning clear light and then two nuns passed on bicyles on the cobbled street with their veils flying out behind them. Where is your camera when you need it! Padua was quiet in August as most of the students had gone home and it was an interesting visit to do a guided tour of the University where Galileo taught.

The breakfast in the hotel was 5 euros and although there was no hot food what they offered was adequate and they also supplied us with gluten free food, which was necessary for us.

The restaurants the hotel suggested were very good and we would recommend the Restaurant Pontecorvo just around the corner from the hotel.We did not have a bad meal there and there Spaghetti alla Vongole was scrumptious. There was also a big supermarket around the corner, but it closes at 7 pm.

Worth visiting is the Scrovegni Chapel, the University,the Botanical Gardens, the Zuckerman Museum and the basilica of St Anthony. Nearly all the churches restrict photography. The guide at the Palazzo Zuckerman was so friendly and gave us almost a private guided tour as the museum was so quiet. My daughter speaks italian so she was translating for me, but he spoke so quickly and was so interesting that when we came out we discovered that nearly 5 hours had passed. She was exhausted afterwards, but he made the museum exhibits live for us. It might be worth getting a Padova card for 43 or 72 hours, but we did not bother as I am over 65 and an EU citizen so I got in everywhere at reduced prices.

We did 4 trips outside Padua to Vincenza, Verona,Venice and The Palladian Villas along the Brenta Canal. We did the villas via the local bus as the canal trip was very expensive at over 100 euros each. We picked the 3 best villas the Foscari Malcontenta,the Widman and the Villa Pisani. Apart from the widman not being open for private visits they were well worth the effort.

We got the train to Vincenza and Venice for about 5 euros each way, depending if you took the stopping train. Both cities are well worth visiting for a day. We also went to the Verona Opera as we could get a pickup on the outskirts of Padua on an excursion that was going from Venice, which the hotel arranged. The opera La Traviata was wonderful.

A week was not really long enough to see and do everything in Padua so I think we will return and would certainly recommend and go back to this fabulous little hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the cathedral as it does your heart good to open the shutters on such a beaut...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank quasargal
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Owned I think by the Franciscan order and used by many pilgrimage groups this hotel is good value.I was on an Art history tour and we all stayed for 5 or 6 nights.The room was plain but clean shower was fine and at the back the rooms are quiet.Breakfast basic but fine lots of fruit.For the money Id recommend it.Lots of good restaurants within 10 minutes walk.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo