“Magical”
Review of Hotel Dolonne

Hotel Dolonne
Ranked #33 of 42 Hotels in Courmayeur
Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed at this wonderful 16th century fortified house during ski season back in January. The family who run the place are nothing short of spectacular. I had seen online that the building had some heritage and was very pleased upon arrival that the lovely lady who greeted me gave me a brief tour and description of it's history. She put me in a magnificent room at the top of the building. Out of my window I had the most perfect view of Mont Blanc (which would beat any photo you've seen on a post card). Her son kindly gave me a lift down to the coach station on the day of my departure, who was also a very well mannered and charming chap. This place really made my trip special. I have skied in many resorts in the alps over the years, staying here though was really very unique.

Less than 5 minutes walk from the cable car taking you up to the slopes and only a couple of hundred metres from ski hire.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Nice and clean hotel in a very old stone-built building. Stood 1 night in autumn for a reasonable price.

Could not rate the restaurant as it was closed between the seasons, but within a walking distance of 3 minutes there's a nice restaurant where you can get a very delicious pizza and other meals.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 8, 2013

Having stayed here for two nights to give us a rest day on the tour de Mont Blanc, I can heartily recommend this hotel to other walkers. We received a great welcome, there is a place to leave your dirty boots and sticks on arrival, the room & facilities were clean & comfortable. The meals were super & the staff friendly. We were given advice to find a laundry & other facilities. All in all, a great experience. The hotel can be found as you come off the hill before you enter Courmayeur.
Selwyn

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My wife and I walked the Tour du Mont Blanc and stayed here for our rest day in Courmayeur. The hotel is fabulous and has massive character. You are staying in an old fort. We had a lovely room with a view of the alps from our bed. The room and bathroom was quite small but then it is an old building.

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The gave us free wi-fi access while we were staying. I can also recommend the house red by the glass!

We ate in the restaurant one night and the meal was good. Breakfasts were also good.

If you are planning to do the TMB, then this is a good option and you'll see some of the old town of Courmayeur.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Didn't stay here, but the meals are great. Very old building that used to occupy a defensive position sometime 400 years ago. I would think invaders must have smelled the food cooking as the entered the village.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We had a great week in a family suite that was comfortable, warm and spotlessly clean. The owners are really friendly and welcoming and gave us lots of information about the area. We had a four course meal each evening; the food and wines were excellent and the waitresses very friendly and attentive - they remembered that our son has a nut allergy and pointed out the things he could and couldnt have from the menu, even offering alternatives. We found the hotel really charming and would definitely recommend it and stay here again. I don't understand the last comments because we enjoyed everything about our stay. We've stayed in many places all over the world and I guess if you come expecting the bland homogeneity and anonymity of a Holiday Inn then this hotel might not be for you, but if you want to stay somewhere with history, charm, character and personal service then you will love it.

The hotel is extremely convenient for skiing - it's a short, level walk to the Dolonne cable car which takes you quickly to the main ski area. You can ski down to the bottom but we left our skis at the top so that we didn't have to carry them, which made it even easier. The skiing was great, helped by blue skies and sunshine each day. Ski school was very good - the instructors were fun and both children were in very small groups with only English speakers, which was fantastic. Food and drinks on the mountain were good and very reasonably priced.

We'll be back,

Room Tip: The suite was great for a family - one bedroom with double bed, one with bunks and a bathroom.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank CJL2204
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were supposed to stay in one room that had a terrible smell, so we asked the lady to change it, she was reluctant but did it. The other room was cold, including the bathroom and the shower, so I got really sick and was unable to ski for 2 days. My brothers' room was really small and had a bed(I don't know if we can call it a bed), in which no one could sleep, also we found a cigarette on the ground immediately after the lady cleaned it . The room where you are supposed to keep your skis is also really small and there is no place where you can put your skis boots to warm them. Oh, and there is no elevator so it was really hard to carry all the luggage to our room. It was meant to be a 8-days stay, but we only stayed 4, due to all the problems.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family