“Charming hotel and good location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Berthod

Hotel Berthod
Ranked #8 of 42 Hotels in Courmayeur
Stavanger, Norway
“Charming hotel and good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife, Nikki, and I stayed at Hotel Berthod in Courmayeur for 4 nights in March 2013. I made the reservation online on the hotel’s homepage and I chose the hotel as it had a central location with easy access to both restaurants, the gondola to the ski area of Plan Checrouit and it had rooms available ;-)

We arrived by bus to Courmayeur and the Savda bus stopped at Piazzale Monte Bianco which is only about 100-200 meters from the hotel. We rolled our suitcases to the hotel and luckily there was not much snow on the road as it was uphill. Check in was fast in the tiny lobby of this charming hotel and we got room 212 on the second floor. The lobby, bar and restaurant area are filled with knick knacks from the region…old skiing equipment, cow bells, maps of the area, photos of Mont Blanc (or Monte Bianco as it is known as in Italy) etc.

The house and room was fairly similar to the hotel we had in Verbier in Switzerland a couple of years back – not that strange, as it is located in the same region. The room was quite small and most of it was occupied by the king size bed. The bed was pretty old school and when I moved the mattress seemed to bounce for a lot longer than expected. The sleeping quality was pretty good but the pillows were like bricks and were not comfortable at all. There was a wooden floor (or maybe just laminate), the walls were painted light and the furniture was in dark wood. The small flat screen TV was placed on top of the wardrobe and it was not the ideal position for TV watching but I guess you don’t come to Courmayeur to watch TV ;-) Most of the channels were in Italian but it was possible to change some shows to the original broadcast language.

The wardrobe had a few hangers and there was a small fridge under the desk next to it. The small fridge only contained two bottles of water and I assumed that this was complimentary as there was nothing else in the fridge but I was charged for these bottles when checking out. I guess we should have read the info or noticed when we did not get water bottle refills every day. There was also a small safe in the room located over the heating radiator – I’m not sure it is the ideal position but things in the safe did not seem to get over heated. There was little space to hang used ski clothing but we did notice a drying room in the basement when we arrived.

The bathroom was tiled in light tiles on the walls and terracotta color on the floor. The amenities included soap, shampoo and even body scrub (the body scrub is recommended). The bathroom included toilet, bide, sink and a shower corner. The shower corner was small but the water pressure was good and the water temperature was stable when showering. The mechanical fan was started every time the light was turned on and was on the noisy side but I guess it helped a bit. The room got stuffy so it was great to be able to open the windows during the day.

When I tried to connect to the wifi the first time I was prompted for a username and password and I thought I had to pay for it. But it turned out that it was for free and you just have to ask for the login details in the reception. The net was pretty slow compared to what I’m used to but it did the job.

Breakfast was served in the “lounge” on the ground floor and had an amazing view to the skiing area at Plan Checrouit and the mountains around Courmayeur. I think the hotel was full when we were there but on most days we were alone at breakfast. The breakfast included some cereal, croissants, bread, boil your own egg, some fruit, excellent freshly squeezed orange juice, fresh coffee, yogurt, cakes etc. Remember to read the sign – don’t take too much and end up wasting food.

The location of the hotel was excellent for us. It only takes like 3 minutes to walk to the main street of Courmayeur – the pedestrian street Via Roma. There were many restaurants around the hotel and it only took a few minutes to walk to them. It was about 600 meters to walk to the main gondola that takes you from Courmayeur to Plan Checrouit.

The service at the hotel was excellent. The young woman that was in the lobby most of the time spoke English, French and Italian (maybe more?) and made recommendations as to where to rent skiis, how to get to the thermal baths at Pre'-saint-didier etc. I guess it is a family run hotel and from time to time it felt like we were walking into a home as it seemed like they were waiting up for us to come back to the hotel.

Conclusion
The room was a bit outdated but did the job. The main thing for us was that the hotel had a good location for getting to the gondola and for eating out at night. In addition to that we got a good and friendly service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank gardkarlsen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I stayed in Hotel Berthod over the long Easter weekend for skiing. Before I even arrived, the staff was incredibly helpful and answered all my questions about getting to and from Courmayuer and Geneva. When I needed to book a taxi for early the next morning, they were once again helpful and made all of the arrangements for me and even packed me a breakfast of croissants, fruits and juice since I was leaving before breakfast.

The hotel is very conveniently located to the shops and restaurants along the main pedestrian walk. It is also a 5-10 minute walk to the cable cars that will take you up the mountain to ski. As for the views, it is located on the side of a hill so you have the view of the village in the valley and you only need to look up to see the mountains.

My room was clean and a little out-dated but it had a charm. I would sty here again when I return to Courmayeur. I just want a softer bed next time.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Nomad_from_US
Chesham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

Stayed for a long weekend early March, had two twin rooms in the new building. Rooms were excellent: my room slightly larger than the other, almost brand new, vey sleek, modern and clean. bathroom excellent. Breakfast is fun and very continental, but when in Rome... Staff very helpful and friendly, the bar even had Stout in bottles! Hotel is in a very good central location, easily in reach of the upmarket main street. Not far to the ski lifts and got a good deal courtesy of the Hotel at the Snowboard hire shop. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to friends and would happily return to Courmayeur as it is well worth a visit.

Room Tip: The new block is very smart and close to the main hotel and the ski room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mark F
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Berthod for weekend ski break. The Hotel in itself is relatively charming and typically alpine. It's fairly close to the cable car, shops and restaurants. Most of the staff are friendly enough, but some are little gruff. In regards to the rooms, it seems that it is luck of the draw of whether you get a room in the new or old part of the hotel. We were in the old part. The beds were incredibly short and rock hard uncomfortable. Shower must have been fitted in the 1980's and wasn't exactly relaxing after a day skiing.
I would say that this hotel is okay, but I wouldn't rave about it.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Garry S
hello Mr
I am pleased you sent us a review about our hotel
you probably booked a room in the "old" part (the rooms there cost less) and unfortunately you had a bed with the wood bottom that make the bed long 2 meters and if (lucky you ;)) you are toller ... if you were telling us your problem we would sortied out in some way... next time do not esitate to tell us about your problems and we will be pleasd to find a solution where is possible.
the room you had was with bathtub ... and shower is eventually possible in the tub so, I do not really understand about the non relaxation after the skiing.......... but still nice to know that you would say that we are OK anyway, in April we are doing some renovation in the Old Original part.
hope to see you again, and next time choose the new rooms, probably you will enjoy them more then the old rooms.
see you soon
alessio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Lovely little hotel. Clean, good breakfast and great location. Very friendly staff, shame we only noticed the nice little spa downstairs on our way out. If you go to the spa in Pre St Didier book ahead (necessary on the weekend) and make use of the free courtesy bus.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul D
hello
the relaxing area is there and we wait you for the next break
many thanks
Alessio
Leighton Buzzard
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Very clean, everything worked, staff helpful, and the family were great. My mate Tom G got on with Grandma like a house on fire!!
Sitting room very homely and we had the joy of the Azzurri beat the French at home!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ale03, Proprietario at Hotel Berthod, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
we had also a good mach against England what do you think?
many thanks for your visit
hope to see you soon
grandma, alessio, gabriella, giulia, leo
Plantation, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We just returned from a week staying at the Hotel Berthod. The stay was fantastic and everyone was extremely nice. We had the best view of Mont Blanc. The hotel is centrally located and a short walk to the bus station, gondola and restuarants/shopping. The fact that the entire staff are family explains how everyone is so nice and accomodating. They really went out of their way for us. This was sort of a second honeymoon for us so they went above and beyond making this a wonderful stay. The breakfast was perfect to get your day started and the sauna was perfect. The ski deposit room was extremely convenient. Again, there are not enough adjectives to describe how wonderful everything was about this stay. We are already planning our return trip. Thanks to everyone!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
hello
it seems nearly to much positive ;))
so many thanks because you made us so proud to have made such a wonderfull holiday to you
hope to see you soon again
alessio