“What a mix! does it deserve being no 1?” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ristorante La Terrazza

Ristorante La Terrazza
Ranked #3 of 108 Restaurants in Courmayeur
Good for: Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Kids, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Athens
“What a mix! does it deserve being no 1?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Probably I was not lucky this time, but the owner (?) running the show was excessively loud, picky in his hospitality favours, and his input to his inexperienced and relatively unwelcoming staff was nil. I was even politely kicked out of the place because I was at their empty terrace 30 minutes before opening (they could have offered a seat). Menu was OKish but my choice of local specialties was not impressive taste-wise, and the bill was not bad by Swiss standards :-) Italians like kids but some of them (and their parents) are wild (i.e., had to stand a group of 4 nouveau-riche Italian parents+their 5 young kids+the owner all screaming at high decibels at my ears during most of my dinner time).

• Visited July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ulysse2801

• Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great meal, nice people (in the end)”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Maybe we got off on the wrong foot - five Americans hungry after a day of hiking, looking for a table before 7 pm opening. When we returned at 7, we were largely ignored for a bit. Then, admittedly, my dining companions were a little scattered in their questions. But in the end, the food was good (except for the pizza) and the host was charming, comping the two who did not have the menu of the day dessert and sending over local after dinner drinks (NOT grappa, he explained). Never did see the amazing dessert table, but we were a little off season.

• Visited June 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Brilliant meal - amazing desserts!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

We visited this restaurant on our skiing holiday. You must book as this restaurant is always busy. I had the menu of the day - a huge three course Italian meal. The best part was dessert where I walked over to a huge table full of desserts (around 15 different ones) and took my pick. The only thing to remember in this restaurant (as well as any Italian restaurant in Italy) is that if you are English you have to be prepared for the Italian way of serving food - ie, pizza's come out whenever they are ready and everyone's courses of food don't come out at the same time. Everyone had their main course at the same time as my starter - this meant that they all had to watch me eat my main course (not that it bothered me). Brilliant restaurant - definitely a must on a holiday here.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Dolly_M1863
Helsinki, Finland
“The finest place in Courmauyer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is probably the finest restaurant in Courmauyer with white table cloths and slightly more expensive menu. Reservations recommended.

We had mostly excellent experience in terms of food, but the other main dish was pretty bad. I had a beef, which was surprisingly good as they are often not that great in Italy. However my companion's fish was swimming in a lake of too strong dressing, which completely overwhelmed the poor fish. Also the side dishes were pretty average considering the price and the otherwise high end status. The starters and the dessert were however excellent.

As mentioned this is slightly upper scale restaurant but it still feels nice and relaxed. The wine list was also better than in other places in terms of scope and the prices were not too bad either.

Would warmly recommend, but maybe stay out of the fish in the mains...

• Visited March 2013
London
“Good in parts but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Based on the ratings on TA, we booked a table at La Terrazza for our Courmeyuer stop off en route to our home in Bologna. The restuarant is located in the centre, so very convenient for most hotels.

We arrived to find a nicely decorated interior and warm welcome.We started by ordering the Fois Gras with poached pear and balsamic - this arrived on a heavily decorated plate. Once you took away the decor of salad, strawberry and pear - the portion of fois gras was actually very small for €18.00 a portion. We then followed with fillet of pork in a spicy cream sauce with potatoes. This was very tasty and beautifully cooked - again the portion was small for €30.00 - a child could easily have eaten the dish. Desert was apple strudel and icecream and panacotta - both were fine. Accompanied by a litre of house wine, cafe and water the total bill was €99.00.

I can understand the high ratings for the ambience of restaurant and service but the food both portion and the actual dishes were not that spectacular. Certainly we have tasted better for a much lower price. One must accept that Courmayeur is a very touristy destination and tastes and quality will reflect that their regular biz is tourism. We were really looking forward to this dining experience but we have rated this restaurant as average and not really worth €99.00 for diner for 2.

• Visited April 2013