“I liked it so much I came back a week later”
Review of Hotel Svizzero

Hotel Svizzero
Ranked #20 of 42 Hotels in Courmayeur
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Charming family-run hotel - couldn't agree with previous reviews as we thought it was a great breakfast with the usual continental cheese and ham as well as fresh croissants, chocolate or apricot-filled croissants, scrambled egg, sausages, and a choice of 2 cakes, Both the double and the twin I stayed in had really comfortable beds both in terms of mattress and sheet/duvet. Both bathrooms were very modern. Dressing gowns were provided and bath towels were fluffy. Great showers in terms of heat and volume of water though modern curved door design does reduce space inside. Drinks in the cosy lounge always came with a small plate of nibbles and the fire was always lit. Ideally located for access to slopes - hire skis etc from Alpineve at the top of the bubble and they will provide ski lockers and boot lockers even if you bring your own boots - email in advance to book and get a discount. This service means the 10-minute walk to the first bubble can be done without skis or boots and you ski straight onto the slopes from the shop. Only slight downside of the hotel is that the evening menu seems very Italian (and no English version of the menu) whereas guests in Winter are quite international. We found a number of places to eat in the town, a 5-minute walk away. I liked the hotel so much that I booked it to bring my son for a weeks' skiing a week after my first visit. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms next to the road do get some road noise in the morning.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank PaulGrafton
hotelsvizzero, Proprietario at Hotel Svizzero, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Good evening. Thank you very much for the appreciation. You're right to complain about the menu not translated: from next season it will be written in english and french. I hope to welcome you again in the future. Happy Easter to all. Ludovico Colombati.

Reviewed March 20, 2013

A lovely, familyrun hotel with very nice and accommodating staff. The hotel is beautifully situated close to lifts with only a short walk to the center of Courmayeur. They don't have a pool or a trainingcenter but has a spa with hammam and an outdoor Bathtub where you can enjoy the breathtaking views.
We paid for halfpension but were very disappointed with the food.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelsvizzero, Proprietario at Hotel Svizzero, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2013

Good evening and thank you for a positive assessment of our hotel. I'm sorry that you were disappointed by the food, it happens very rarely. You should have told me, I found a solution: since it is a small familyrun hotel, very often we change the menu to satisfy the tastes of customers. Best regards. Ludovico Colombati.

Reviewed March 19, 2013

This was a great little hotel run by a big italian family. The rooms are genuinely cosy and comfy and the same goes for the common room and restaurant. The only minor complaint is the breakfast that was not up to standard with the res of the hotel, not bad but not great either!

Room Tip: ask for a mountain view
Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Good evening and thank you for your positive comment. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the breakfast, but I discovered the problem (scrambled eggs a little cold) and I have already solved. I hope to see you again. Very kind regards. Ludovico Colombati.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

The hotel gives a very warm feeling. The entrance has a beautiful alpine style bar and lounge. The rooms though, have tiny single mattresses which are rock hard and quite uncomfortable. The shower is after market and I couldn't move once inside. The breakfast was very basic. When I think of Italy I think of fresh baked bread and patisseries but this place served bread from a loaf from yesterday and not much else. The coffee too was from a machine and wasn't any better than what you'd expect in a hospital coffee machine. Most of the staff didn't speak English, and when I went to check out, the lady took 30 minutes to realise that they didn't take American Express, but she didn't know how to use the card machine anyway. A modern management team and a slight makeover would make this place SO MUCH BETTER but until then, I don't recommend this place.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
hotelsvizzero, Proprietario at Hotel Svizzero, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Good evening
I'm offended:
1 - the mattresses are so good that customers often ask us where we purchased them;
2 - pos are connected to the ADSL line and in the morning you are starting lines did not work (it happened the day before and the day after), the elderly owner could not know the technical causes and the hotel has no responsibility in this regard;
3 - you are the first to complain about the coffee, perhaps because it was wrong to choose among the many options is that of espresso and american coffee;
4 - the breakfast offers: bread, pastries of various kinds, homemade cakes, jams, toast, biscuits, yoghurt, various fruit juices, scrambled eggs, ham, corn flakes and other;
5 - the owner speaks english and french, the old owner german and french, some employees spanish, russian, french and english; the customer was also accompanied by a person who spoke Italian;
6 - the hotel is a 3 star, not 5;
7 - with reference to point 2, the customer forgets that we allowed to leave without being paid for it in full and at the date of publication of this review we are still waiting for the balance.
Thanks to all for your attention.

Reviewed July 11, 2012

I feel in love with the photos of this hotel. We have been twice and have decided never to return again.
On the first visit we had an upsetting departure when we discovered that we numerous things on our bill that shouldn't of been. We were in a heated conversation with the elderly father. The father wouldn't except that we hadn't had two sauna's, extra drinks etc and this resulted in the whole family having a screeming argument. The elderly father then took a room key and stormed off into our room to see if we had taken anything out of the mini bar even though we had just explained that we hadn't, he was very embrassed and left our room. We had no warning that this was going to happen, he just let hime self in whilst we were following him. When we returned to the reception to inform the owner what happend he started having a massive arguement with his father and the whole family were shouting. It was like a sceen out of faulty towers. I sat and cried in the reception in total disbelief. One of the lady owners was cring and very apoligitic towards us - ( was lovely host at breakfast). This heated conversation was a really unpleasent end to a nice holiday but we decided to put it behind us and go the following year because I loved the chalet style and the food was excellent, There arn't many hotels that look that good when you're skiing unless you book a chalet as a group. What a dreadful mistake! Once again the owners are so rude that they pushed in front of us in the que to be seated for dinner! We were given a room with a toilet that smelt of urine, I went to the reception desk to report this and the owner didn't even get up, I was asked to try running the taps for 3 minutes when we smelt it. After a few days I requested to change rooms but the owner said it would only be possible the next day as thats when it suited him. We again had lots of problems with our bill upon departure and similar senario with the elderly father of the owner.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Imogen S
hotelsvizzero, Proprietario at Hotel Svizzero, responded to this reviewResponded August 2, 2012

Dear Guest,
you hit the problem: the two elderly owners - as you call them - yet are not the owners, I (Ludovico) are solely responsible.
I was away at the check out, otherwise this review would probably not have been written.
Both my parents are elderly
My father, 83 y.o. with some ailment, but lucid, never worked in the hotel and it shows, because the hotel belongs to the family of my mother.
He is with us at the hotel (and I must grant him that often is helpful to us) for my choice, because as a son I am thankful for everything he has done for me so far, and I refuse to park elsewhere against his will.
My 76 y.o. mother worked at the hotel for sixty years; she could leave, that's true, but she does not want; belongs to that category of people who, if removed from their company, as the candles go out, I cannot and do not even want to do it.
The hotel is family run and this is the family.
Nobody is eternal, but for now it is so. The day we will solve the problem will also be one of the saddest of my life. The customer who is afraid of not understanding the situation will have to wait for that day, then everything will be perfect.
What you wrote shows that probably has not had (or not yet) a problem with parents like that described above, and my hope is that it has not ever.
Thank god are hundreds of customers who haven't had difficulty understanding the situation immediately, and many return.
Sorry for my english.
With my best regards.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

Coming from Mt Blanc we were looking a place to stay, cozy hotel it seemed and we walked in/ 2 july. Rate for double room included breakfast was 110 eur. Room no 208.
We saw 3 rooms and they were all equally nice and spacious, some with view to mountain side and some to street. We chose mountain and river side, room had also little terrace.
Comfortable bed, nice soft towels. NB! Very good service (all the staff), warm welcome and polite staff. Very friendly, you felt welcomed. Superb.
Breakfast: egg, pastries, tea/coffee, juice, ham, cheese, jam, cereal/musli, yogurt.

Courmayeur- nice small town to be and I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Mountain side has no street noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
AlbergoSvizzero, Proprietario at Hotel Svizzero, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2012

Thank you very much!
I hope to see you in winter season, the ambience is very charming and Courmayeur is a beautiful ski station.
Kind regards.

Reviewed January 5, 2012

We were astonished by some of the reviews about this hotel. Firstly the hotel is located within easy walking distance of the new high speed lift in Dolonne and the shops bars and restaurants on via Roma. The trick in Courmayeur is to rent your skis on the mountain thereby obviating the necessity to carry anything more than your gloves.Secondly you will not find a more tastefully decorated hotel anywhere in Courmayeur including any of the "five star" establishments and finally the accommodation is just fantastic. We had a newly renovated chalet which was quiet and cosy having been lovingly rennovated with traditional materials and high tech equipment.
If you want an authentic Italian ski holiday with the best that Courmayeur has to offer then stay here, if you want "club med" don't!
We found Ludovico and his family to be warm, welcoming and totally charming people who made this a holiday to remember.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank ID1Dublin

Thank you very, very much.
I really hope to see you again.
Kind regards.