Ok firstly let me start by apportioning some of the blame for this poor review to the tour operator Crystal Holidays, who were, quite frankly appalling throughout the whole process.
I would be very interested to see how much other reviewers of this hotel paid for their stay here. For what we paid through Cyrstal holidays we could have had a fully catered chalet in val'disere.
I dont mind the fact that the hotel had simple facilities etc, it was the fact the we had paid so much for our week there that I expected so much more.
I will start with some positives:
- the location is great, right next to the main gondola.
- rooms clean, simple, adequate in size with nice views of the Materhorn.
- Good ski and boot storage facilities under the hotel.
- Good breakfast food.
- Appalling food, I am a terrible cook, I think most of my friends dread coming to mine for supper, however this place made my cooking like like a gourmet experience!
- No consideration for guests sleep. The chef, judging by what ended up on the plate, had a delivery at 4am of goat carcasses, which he then proceeded to hack away at from 5-7am creating an awful din! I wouldn't have minded so much if when at supper time I hadnt been presented with a plateful of goat bones with a couple of strands of meat clinging on.
- Breakfast, although the food was fine, was served far too late. It didnt open until 8am every morning so with first lift at 8.30, the whole hotel would go at once, being self service this was a bit painful to say the least!
- The bar, overrpriced and unwelcoming. When we went in after dinner, we often felt unwelcome as if we were causing and inconvenience to be there.
I think we were badly ripped off by Crystal holidays for this place, I would need to look at a normal price list to see how much it usually costs to stay here directly as I cannot believe all guests pay what we paid.
I would actually stay here again, as the location is great and the rooms are fine, I would only want to do B&B though as I would never eat there again. and the price would have to be 50% of what we paid!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The hotel is located 20 meters from the Plan Maison Gondola and 50 meters from the resort centre.The hotel completely renovated in summer 2012 in a simple but functional way.Welcomes guest in a warm and familiar ambience, offering spacious public areas: rstaurant, bar , reading room, pool room, ski room private parking and a large terrace from where you can admire a 180° view of the impressive Grandes Murailles chain and whereyou can enjoy a glass of local wine accompanied by salami from Valtournenche.We offer Typical Aostan dishes and also internation food.Free Wi Fi in all areas.The 26 standard rooms completely renovated and elegantly furnished (many of wich are adjoining), all have bathroom with shower, bathtub, telephone and tv-sat.if you are looking for comfort and total relaxation or a holiday with the family we have 4 suites available on the 3rd floor with beautiful balconies and a spectacular view on the valley or ski slopes.Each one has a large double bedroom and a living room with 2 more beds, a spacious bathroom, tv.sat., telephone and mini bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Astoria Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.