“Avoid it, even on sundays”

Antica Birreria Pedavena
Ranked #66 of 462 Restaurants in Trento
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is Trento's poor imitation of Munich's Hofbrauhaus, but with overpriced microwaved food. Even the bread was cold (how do you achieve that!?).

Yes, it seems to be the only open restaurant, but here's the alternatives for dinner:
- Pizza, Pasta, Wine: Uva & Menta
- Meat, Beer: Birreria Forst
- Snack or Sandwich: Caffe Portico, Piazza di Duomo

2  Thank HG-Buttentee

Reviewed January 17, 2013

How to evaluate this place? I grew up here! The "litro al Peda" (liter of beer) with friends on the old benches in the entrance has been one of the constants of my adolescence. So I shamelessly disclose my bias here. I still come back any time I'm in town, and I bring here my kids... Shall I vote with my heart? 5 stars! With the brain? no more than 3.
"Peda" ( as the locals, at least my generation, calls it) it is an institution in Trento. Unpretentious, predictable: you know what to expect: pizza, beer, and few standard local dishes. Standard quality, fair price. The only place where you can show up anytime in a large group without booking.
The characters perennially arguing around the bar at the entrance, with a "rosso" (glass of red wine) in their hands represent the anthropological exposition of the town (do I remember them less angry and more colorful...? ). The old ( I think 150 years, now) benches at the entrance, some of them with the heating below ( so too HOT!) and some on the way of the air current of the door ( too COLD) never changed, and never will. Do not dare.
So long for the nostalgic part. Let's try to explore some objective indicators:
The beer? Produced in-house, it is very good.
Pizza? Standard (for Italy. "Pedavena quality" it is what I use as a benchmark for my personal "pizza abroad" indicator :- )
Typical dishes? Very standard. Pre-cooked in advance, still retains the basic flavors. With all I love my town, I recognize that high cuisine is not the reason why Trentino is famous in the world: a modern diet would forbid most of it: if you really want to get an idea, at least go elsewhere to try.
Service: oh my god! Let's say: inconsistent. Lunchtime, you might find yourself ignored for 20 minutes or more: really depends where you sit. In other moments can be better or worse... it is not the strong point of the place, and it used to be much, much better.
Atmosphere? I said, I'm biased. The old benches might be a bit uncomfortable, but... The "new" area, very popular now, seems to me a bit cold... but I am an old nostalgic creep.

Reviewed December 28, 2012

I ended up in this place because everything else was closed.

Hard to find anything nice to say: one the worst pizza ever, a salty and dry stinco (shin), no service to speak about, poor bread.

It's mass food and with poor service too.

2  Thank thoughtfuldiner
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Sunday night is not a good night as most places are closed. Finding unexpectedly shut the place I originally intended to patronize, after checking a couple of places, the only option left was Pedavena. I knew it as a students' hunt, but thought - well, if I stick to a pizza, what could possibly go wrong?

Quite a few things, as it turned out. The dough was just passable, the tomatoes (well, those traces of it) pretty poor, the "mozzarella" abismal. My dining companion went for a super salty shin of pork, which would have still been better than my pizza - admittedly, though, this was a rather low bar.

The place is cheap, the main dining room nice, and this can explain the hordes of people coming through the door, and probably leaving happy. There are several much better places nearby which still won't break the bank, and serve traditional food (from "Al Tino", to "Patelli"), so do yourself a favour and avoid this place.

3  Thank show_me_the_dosh
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I've been to this restaurant 5 times. If you are a group of friends it's one of your best choices since it has plenty of space and you will definitely find a place. the atmosphere is great but it's usually crowded and noisy so if you want to have a romantic dinner you may consider somewhere else. The food is average and you can also drink good beer, but the service is not so good and usually you have to wait a lot.

1  Thank sasanamir