“Excellent Restaurant, Location and Service”

Relais & Chateaux Hotel Castel Fragsburg
Ranked #5 of 54 Hotels in Merano
Reviewed August 28, 2011

The Hotel is located above Meran with fantastic views of the valley and Mountains. It offers spa treatments (which we did not use) and has a decent size pool, considering the small number of rooms it has. By far the best feature of the hotel is its restaurant, so you should by any means book the half board arrangement. The food is very good and certainly the restaurant deserves the michelin star it was awarded. Our room was in line with expectations. Also, the hotel's staff is very helpful and friendly. For example, we asked for a late check out because we wanted to do one more hiking tour on our last day and were allowed to check out by 5 p.m. So, for those who like good food after a day of hiking, this is an ideal base.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alexander_munich

Reviewed August 14, 2011

I was dreaming to visit and to see the Dolomites. The mountains appeared as wonderful as expected. I was there in the summer time, in August, which is I assume not high season for this area.
The Hotel was really outstanding. I was upgraded to one of the biggest Suites with amazing panoramic views over the mountains. The room was very spacious, decorated in traditional tirol style, with mostly wooden elements.
I would also like to tell few words about restaurant, 1 Michelin star and talented chef. We had two options to enjoy the dinner a la carte or to have gourmet set menu which was already included in the room rate. I must admit that the menu included is very nice and there is even no sense to order it A la carte. Huge variety of local wines, perfect riesling. Hotel has nice pool with again panoramic views, and SPA center offering different treatments, but I would recommend to try traditional tirol hay bath. I was turned over the blanket and hay, and was put into the bath which was steamed, unforgettable feelings.
Special thanks to hotel staff, friendly, very helpful, speaking English, Italian and German. Upon departure we were presented a souvenir – traditional glass, but it was not the end. Coming up to our car we found a windscreen cleaned up and a note from GM wishing a safe and pleasant trip.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chuprasov
Reviewed July 5, 2011

we spent 10 days at castel fragsberg back in 2000 on our honeymoon , and stayed again in 2005 , and in may just gone, this has to be for us one of the best places to stay in Europe ,
top class service , the food is second to none , and the views from your room ,and the swimming pool are magnificent ,
there is so much to do and see in the area , and lots of healthy walking to reduce those pounds put on over dinner.
yes castel fragsberg is a fantastic place to stay indeed.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adrian747
Reviewed July 5, 2011

We only stayed for one night, but would have loved to stay longer. The staff at Castel Fragsburg is friendly and efficient. The suite was divine. It was very roomy and clean. the bathroom was also very spacious. We had a fantastic view on the valley and Merano. The food at dinner was superb, the breakfast is copious and varied. When we left we also found that someone had cleaned the windshield of the car , which was a nice surprise, and an indicator of the level of service given at the Castel Fragsburg. We have no negative remarks. Bravo Castel Fragsburg. We will be back! :-))

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I recently stayed in Castel Fragsburg and it was my first visit to this hotel. I had stayed once before in Schloss Labers which is a castle hotel nearby, but wanted to give Castel Fragsburg a try. I was very glad that I made the decision to book my stay in this nice hotel. The former Jagdschloss "hunting castle" is perched way up on the mountain and has a wonderful view of the valley below. I stayed in room number 12 and it was very comfortable and had a nice balcony with a great view. The beds were also very comfortable. The hotel has a nice pool and I spent one afternoon napping by the pool in a tranquil garden setting. The price of the room included a five star gourmet meal and it was once of the best meals that I have ever eaten. Breakfast was also good. The service was also spot on. In Meran be sure to visit the gardens of Schloss Trautmannsdorf which are very beautiful and worth a visit if you like fine gardens and horticulture. Meran is very nice and the fusion of Austrian and Italien culture makes the place very enchanting. It all used to belong to Austria before WWI and German is the primary language of the region.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2011

Only had dinner at restaurant, so can't comment on hotel.

From the perfect ingredients (oysters, herbs, meat, fish, desserts - all top quality and extremely fresh) to the preparation and decoration one beautiful sensation of the senses.

Service is superb, and as attentive and response as we like while still giving enough room to the guests - something I tend to miss at 2+ Michelin/16+ G.M. restaurants.

The restaurant - a hunting lodge/ castle is not exactly our preferred style of architecture, but the view from the terrace into the Meran valley is gorgeous, as was the drive up to the restaurant. We understand why the guests of the hotel are so flamboyant about it, and can't rule out staying there sometime in the future.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Let me be upfront. I did not spend a night at this hotel. So I'll keep my review brief. I drove here because the restaurant was recommended to me. As I approached the castel I was a bit skeptical. The castle is decorated with antlers on the outside. I told my friend, "This looks like it is out of Bugs Bunny." Quite wrong. The inside is warm and cozy (though the dead animal theme continues -- in fairness as it was a hunting lodge). The views from the hotel are beautiful.

And the restaurant fantastic! It's a 1-star Michelin restaurant. I should mention I am vegetarian, and even though there is a lot of game on the menu they came up with a spectacular dinner for me. I have not eaten as well often (as it turns out, Merano has a number of superb restaurants -- see my other reviews).

Price for dinner was 140 Euros for two people including a bottle wine and grapa. With tip we made it 160. 80 Euros or 120 dollars a person is pricey but for a top dining experiencing. Such a bargain compared to New York, and such great food and services. (We opted not to have dessert, but it wasn't needed as their platter of petit fours is generous and delicious. I they also have very nice mid-courses.)

I am tempted, if I can, to stay at this hotel, or at least make a trip back to Merano just for a dinner here.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends