“Lovely views, hard beds”
Review of Hotel Feichter

Hotel Feichter
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Bolzano
seattle
“Lovely views, hard beds”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Overall a good value for a clean room with an outside sitting porch and gorgeous view from the porch. Beds were too hard, slept poorly. Breakfast buffet average. Close to good hiking and Alpe di Siusi.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank happyhiker10

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Perth, Australia
Reviewed January 22, 2010

In a great location, this hotel is pleasant, though not spectacular. The place was nice – nothing fancy but that’s pretty much what I expected. The room was a bit tight for space: it was hard to find somewhere to lay our three suitcases. It was functional and clean, though not immaculately so. The bathroom, however, was newly renovated and very clean.

The location is excellent. It is very close to the station. We used the hotel map from the website and walked. The hotel is about a block from Piazza Walthur, the main square so you’re in the middle of town.

Reception is on the first floor (no lift from the ground floor) and then we took the lift to the first floor. Our room was an outdoor undercover walkway. We stayed for two nights in December in a triple room for 105 Euro which seemed like okay value. (Bolzano accommodation seems to be on the expensive side.) Other costs in Bolzano seemed very reasonable. Much cheaper than Rome.

Breakfast was a standout with good coffee/cappuccino, cheese, ham, rolls, yoghurts, cereals etc. I had three different types of croissants, the best I had in Italy. It was much better than I expected for a hotel breakfast. Also, the breakfast area at the back of the café downstairs was full of character. It was a lovely place to sit and start the day.

I’d stay there again simply because of the location and the breakfast.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank KickChick
California
Reviewed January 15, 2010

I had read about the Hotel Feichter in my travel guide and it sounded like the perfect place. My stumbling block came when I tried to reserve a room and they don't have online reservations. I sent an email and received a response that instructed me to send a credit card number via email to hold the reservation. For obvious reasons, I didn't want to do that so tried calling several times only to be told to call back another time to speak with an english-speaking clerk. Anyway, I never did connect and we made our travel plans around it, with a reservation at the local hostel. When we arrived by train in Bolzano, I decided to try my luck and see if they had availability. We found the hotel, just a short walk from the train station and were ecstatic to find a room available! What a great place and a great little town. The room was precious and clean. It had a comfy bed with individual down comforters, a private bathroom and a sweet little balcony that overlooked the street. The rooms at the back have a balcony with a view of the Dolomite Mountains. The breakfast was very substantial with the usual continental fair of breads, cheese, meats, yogurt, cereal, fruit, juice, coffee, tea, etc. Very nice indeed and held you over for a day of hiking and sightseeing. The hotel staff was very nice and even found me an electrical adapter when I discovered I had the wrong kind for charging my camera battery. Such a life saver!

If you go: Avoid Sundays, since almost everything is closed. Definately go see Ootzi, the iceman and the archeological museum. Take the cable car up the mountain, then the little train and walk around in the mountains. Enjoy the farmer's market. Understand that in this area of Italy (northern), both German and Italian are spoken as this region was once part of Germany. So many people do not speak English and some get a little put off when you ask. But, having said that, it was a very enjoyable side trip and I would highly recommend it. After our stop here, we continued on to Venice, which was beautiful, but oh so crowded :(. Do enjoy Bolzano, though! I would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Our room was quite small, but it's clean and nicely located. I was satisfied with my stay here. Although, it was a bit steep. It's our most expensive b&b in italy 80 Euro, but the buffet style breakfast makes up for it.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Ireland
Reviewed January 27, 2009

Stayed here for a night while travelling between Nova Levante and Vencie. Very convenient for train station.
Rooms are fine, had two 3 bed rooms, both with one double and one single. Bathrooms adequate. Place isn't spotlessly clean but not dirty, just bits of dust. Breakfast was really good, much better than expected for a 2 star. Staff friendly. We left our bags there for the day after he'd checked out which was really handy.
Boplzano is really lovely, good shopping and restaurants and very picturesque, wouldn't stay there for more than 2 or 3 days unles you're going to go walking in the mountains or something but worth seeing. This hotel is a good base for those on a budget.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank AwnyaBurd
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 3, 2008

Bolzano was one of the 6 cities in Italy we visited while on our Honeymoon. We really enjoyed Bolzano and we enjoyed the Hotel Feichter as well. It's a family run place. I think one of the sons works the front desk and he (like most people in Bolzano) speaks German, Italian and English. I started out speaking German to him, but he quickly figured me out and asked if I wanted to speak English. I gladly agreed (though slightly amused, but embarrassed, that I wasn't fooling anyone).
The rooms small, but clean. I like their pro-environment policy about towels. They let you decide whether you want a fresh one or not. If you want a fresh one, leave it on the floor. If you want to keep yours for another day, hang it up.
I also thought the view of the town and surrounding mountains from the balcony to be just perfect. Bolzano is a beautiful little town.
The only negative comment I have is about the bed, which was just two twin mattresses pushed together. This seems to be the norm in Italy when you ask for a double bed, but I never felt it was comfortable at all. The typical breakfast (while spare, with little variety) was a good start to the morning. However, the hotel was a very good value and I would stay here again and recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Location, Comfort
  • Disliked — Bed
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed June 30, 2008

This Hotel was one of the nicest 2 stars we stayed in during our recent visit. It is a family run business located in the heart of Bolzano (Bozen) ; a 5 minute walk from the train station. In Bolzano the train and bus stations are located in the same area. To get to the hotel walk up via Laurin and stay left on via Grappoli-Weintraubegasse, it is on the right about 50 meters. Check-in is on the second floor.
My wife and I had a room on the 3rd floor. Our room was small and not air-conditioned but it was spotlessly clean and had a shared balcony where we could sit and relax after a day of trekking. The weather during our visit was very hot and the balcony was much appreciated and it also offered an opportunity to chat with other travelers, a must in my book.
We found the hotel owners to be courteous and the service was as advertised with a nice breakfast of bread, meat, cheeses, cereal, juice, coffee etc. included in the price.
This part of Italy is beautiful and I will certainly be returning and would stay here again. One tip for getting around, Italian is not necessarily the first language in this area and I found that my Italian which usually is adequate was not up to the task several times as some local folks speak German with limited Italian and no English. The city is beautiful and exceeded my expectations, there is a nice mix of museums, culture, strolling, shopping, dining with some world class hiking and views only a short bus ride away.

• Liked — Clean and well situated for no car travelling
  • Disliked — No air conditioning during a summer visit
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple