“A good restaurant with inventive Piemontese dishes”
Review of C'era una Volta

C'era una Volta
Reserve with
C'era una Volta is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #672 of 3,756 Restaurants in Turin
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed April 22, 2012

My wife and I were in Turin earlier this month for 3 days and chose C'era Una Volta for one of our dinners because it is given a top recommedation in the Frommer's Guide to Northern Italy (which carries over to the online New York Times travel section) and is also listed by the Blue Guide to Northern Italy. We were not disappointed, We had the tasting menu for that evening, which was very reasonably priced and included a number of inventive and interesting dishes. We enjoyed them with a good bottle of wine and had a very enjoyable evening. The restaurant was not hard for us to find. We would recommend it to others interested in exploring Piemontese cuisine.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

I was not impressed by the restaurant C'era una volta of Turin. The service was not accurate, the menu was not clearly typical for the region of Turin and appeared rather messy. When the food arrived, I was ratrher disappointed to find too many sauces that cover tastes and are not really typical of Italian cooking. I would not recommend it.

Reviewed July 11, 2011

Well, we decided to try this despite the mixed reviews. The menu was impressive and we were very hopeful. We ordered primi piatti and seconds. Both were disappointing. The gnocchi with ricotta was mediocre, the veg accompanying the bagna cauda was really unimpressive (not fresh) but the worst dish was the duck fillet with cherry sauce. Honestly, Turin is full of good restaurants and you can eat much better at a fraction. Of the price.

Check out gramschi and de filippi -both near porta nuova. The former also serves woodfired pizza.

Like I said - that was the last time we would go to this pricey but mediocre restaurant.

Reviewed April 25, 2011

In fairness, we ate here just after they reopened in late August, so perhaps it's better during the normal season. But the restaurant was hard to find (we and another group almost gave up - you basically have to be buzzed into the building then go upstairs) and our dining option was one set menu, no choices/alternatives. The food was edible, although not memorable, and service was average. Definitely felt like a place past its prime.

1  Thank bahamasviking
Reviewed December 31, 2010

Before I start writing this review I must say I am very frustrated because words cannot explain the horror that we're experience in that restaurant last night. My husband looked on tripadvisor before we went and saw good and bad reviews, this morning as he was vomiting he said: now we know who was right!
DO NOT GO THERE!!! The food was DISGUSTING and so expensive. We were there for new year's eve and the menu cost 80 euros, but we left before the main course arrived. The meal started with some sort of cheese gelatin thing, followed by an appalling sea food casserole with surimi and olives (the've even managed to ruin the olives!!!), then a vegetable cake covered in a terrifying cold cheese sauce. This one I simply couldn't eat at all and they wouldn't take the plate away so I kind of cut it up to look like I had eaten it, instead of taking it away from me the waitress just came and added more food onto the plate with the disgusting squished cake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The thing she added was some form of red sausage and mashed lentils, now I seriously nearly vomited so my husband decided we should leave.
Unfortunately I can't describe the rest of the meal, seen as we left. But I can only imagine the main course would have certainly made me vomit.
I honestly do not understand how the rest of the people there managed to eat the entire menu.

3  Thank Jujuetmarc