“Not as good as we would have expected”

Allegroitalia Golden Palace
Ranked #34 of 128 Hotels in Turin
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Not as good as we would have expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I booked this hotel based on the fact that we needed a double double. When we arrived and found another bedding arrangement, the front desk told me that they have no such thing. The towels were well worn and frayed. We paid more for the parking than we were quoted. I was a little surprised that I had to pay an additional 90 euros/night for my 9-year-old child as well. That seems ridiculous! The location is convenient though difficult to reach with the limited traffic zones and traffic restrictions. The restaurant was expensive - as you'd expect from a 5-star, but the simple pasta dishes that we ordered(pasta with butter and aglio, olio & pepperoncino) we not as good as what I can do at home.

The lobby was impressive with floor to ceiling marble so upon entering I was expecting a lot -- perhaps too much, though five -stars I think is one too many.

Room Tip: The building directly across the street on Via Arcivescovado is being renovated so the construction...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elizabeth p

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Turkish first
Plock, Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

+ elegant, contemporary design interiors of both rooms and lobby;
+ near to the city center;
+ very comfortable rooms;
+ speakers in the bathroom - you can hear the TV while taking a bath;
+ very tasty breakfast; coffee is served in a cattle, but you can also order a real Italian cappuccino or espresso.

- corridors are a real labyrinth, people who stay in the second wing get lost very easily (go the right, turn to the left, take the first elevator to the first floor, turn left, go straight, take another elevator… and eventually you get to your room on the third floor…);
- the same thing when you want to get to the city center – it’s not far, but the buildings are all the same and it’s not so easy to find the right way

Room Tip: Try to book a room in the first wing
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Wurzburg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We booked this hotel as we knew Turin would be hot in August. The hotel has a spa with pool and sauna etc., which we planned to use in the heat of the afternoons, going out again later when it was cool. Unfortunately no-one bothered to mention that it was closed and would only be opened the day after we left.
Apart from that the airconditioning was difficult to control - the rooms was ice cold but we could only work out how to switch it off not regulate it. I would put a jumper on when I entered the room.
Service was OK -
The location is super.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

this was my second stay in this 5* hotel created for the Winter Olympics in Turin.
Impressive lobby, wonderful Art Deco design in bar, lounges, outside terrace and in my deluxe room. big and well designed bathroom.
Otstanding service from Immen at breakfast and Leo at reception.
SPA and Fitness was unfortunately closed during my stay in August

Room Tip: 308 quiet deluxe room to the back of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

It was very pleasant that during the day the room was cleaned up again. At first I doubted myself, but then I noticed that when I returned during the day the cap of the shower gel which I did not have closed was put on the tube, that my used bathrobe was cleaned up, etc.

The staff is friendly, but somehow inexperienced. On the day I left (at 8.30) I saw the cleaning lady at my door when she opened it without knocking.

The hotel is somehow grim, because of the dark colors, and possibly also because the building was built for the fascist regime (30's of the 20th century).
Average breakfast buffet.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Flobecq, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel offers private parking, which is nice when you travel by car.
The location is within walking distance of about everything in Turin.
Shopping heaven is about 1 min walking distance.
The staff is very helpfull.
The rooms are quiet, spacious with good silent airco.
The restaurant is delicious, only downside when we were here is that we where almost alone in the hotel and literally the only ones in the restaurant, nonetheless service and food where perfect.
They have a nice outdoor area with lounge seats to have a drink or eat.
The Spa is spacious and it is great to take a dip in the pool after walking for hours visisting the city.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ofabre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

For business I have spent many weeks in this hotel. Besides the central location, the equipment of the hotel, the team in front and on the backrgound are making the differences between this hotel and any other 5*+ hotels.
Because of my length I need a good bed, the beds here is as goods as the one in my home. Shower and bath tub are bigger then mine at home.
Breakfast, restaurant, room service and (especially) the bar are all very knowledgeable people. Reception will support in every service you need.
I've seen and been in many others but the GP is by far my favorite.
There is a price to this, but compared to other hotels (regardless of quality or in Turin centre) this holtel exceeds them all.
With their change of ownership and mngt team, it looks that they're even more focussing on quality and service, for me that's how an hotel should operate!

All together, no negative sounds, only positive and very positive comments from my side!

Eljo