“you get what you pay for”
Review of Hotel Royal Torino

Hotel Royal Torino
Ranked #98 of 129 Hotels in Turin
Moscow
“you get what you pay for”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Stayed in this hotel on 3 occasions. My first night there was in 2012. I got a recently renovated room and had a very pleasant experience overall back then. I did not hesitate to chose this hotel again for 2 (non-consequtive) nights in JUN 2013, also taking into account the best rate which they quoted out of all Accor group hotels in Turin. I do not have any problems with location as my friend is always picking me up when I am in the city. And by no means it is a dangerous place as others stated below - it's just not a (tourist) center of the city and the surroundings are rather a dull-looking residential area.
My second experience with the hotel was not as satisfying as before. Both times I had to ask to change the room. On the 1st night it was because of the stale smell of tobacco. The room I got instead had a broken A/C - I didn't ask for a new room again only because it was not very hot outside and I could live without an A/C that night. On the 2nd night I had to change the room because of an unbearably noisy A/C (which also did't seem to provide any fresh air). The replacement room had the funniest loo I've ever seen: it was so cramped that I had to be creative and flexible to use it.
And only then you start to notice 'other things' in this hotel: that it's public areas are indeed dated and run-down, the wi-fi (free) could be faster, the rooms could be kept a little bit better, etc.
Contrary to other opinions, the breakfast was OK - a standard selection of food for a hotel of this level plus one of the best croissants I've tasted in a while.
To conclude - the hotel should indeed shed 1 star to conform to reality and then they would be OK - not being outpriced by any means. But you get what you pay for and as for me, I will chose another (newer) hotel next time when I am in Turin even if it costs a bit more - just to be sure my comfort is not at stake.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Polish first
indonesia
Reviewed February 4, 2013

i was there last December 2012,and my first impression with this hotel is looks like old one,need renovation so bad..and there was a lift that cannot open while there's people there,luckily its not my lift but other lift.and there's no porter..!! so when i entered the room,the room so dark,not clean,the bed are not comfortable..and the poorest part is the bathroom,the toilet can move from base when we sit on that,so you know,i cant use that that night,luckily i stay just one night..that was my terriblest hotel that i booked! so better not stay in there!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Turin hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed July 29, 2012

The Mercure Torino Royal confirms what I already knew about Mercure Hotels i.e. that they mix good, comfortable hotels with sub-standard properties. Unfortunately the Mercure Royal Torino is in the second category. The building may date back to the 60's or 70's and renovation has only been partial. Probably the minimum needed to get the Mercure brand but far what would be necessary to fully modernize the property and turn it into an attractive hotel. Room size is correct but decoration shows clear bad taste with flashy, ill-matched colors. Maintenance is also obviously poor with walls and furniture in bad condition. Replacing faucets is definitely not enough to renovate the bathroom which was small, dark and with horrible dark green tiles. Manual sliding shutters also give the impression that time stopped many years ago. In addition, I was unable to find foreign speaking TV channels which is strange for a hotel supposedly catering to foreign travellers. Lobby and restaurant suffer from the same shortcomings as the rest of the property: they look tired and worn-out. Breakfast - correct - is served in the small and grotty restaurant. A last motive of irritation is the car park: 15 € for an external spot and 18 € for a covered spot is a rip-off especially when room fare is 55 € excluding breakfast. I spent one night at the hotel on my way to France for holidays but should I stay in Torino again I would certainly select another hotel and recommend other travellers to do the same thing.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jean Francois V
holidays
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Hotel is very clean and staff are very helpfull and friendly. The breakfast is very good with a good buffet selection. the rooms are very modern and well furnished, they have a safe and desk with 2 chairs.

Room Tip: Rooms are very quiet, and have air conditioning
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Kent, Ohio
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I was in Turin visiting friends who were actually not that far from this hotel so it worked out nicely. And for the price I thought the Royal was a good deal. One thing my room had was those double doors--you know, you go in the door and there is the bathroom on your right, then there is another door to the bedroom. For sound and noise-conscious people like me those double doors are a godsend. I don't know why people feel the need to shout and scream and hold long cell phone conversations in hotel hallways but they always seem to, not to mention door slamming. Whatever happened in this hotel corridor, I don't know about! And that is thanks to the double doors. Also the walls seemed to be relatively thick so I could never hear my neighbors. Also the room was very clean. On the downside, the a/c wasn't working. That's kind of the American traveler's theme song by now when reviewing continental hotels. The a/c never works. Half the time it is due to some archaic city laws about when you can turn on the heat and when you can turn on the a/c and the other half of the time the hotels are just pretending the a/c doesn't work so they can save money. I don't know which it was in this case. I asked for a fan, they said they'd try, but the fan never materialized. Also the Mercure chain has a nice little feature which is the electric kettle. Coming in from America it always takes me a while to get over the jet lag and I really like being able to brew myself a cup of instant coffee at 3 a.m. Do I like instant coffee? Not particularly, but it is warm and comforting. Anyway the Royal Mercure didn't have them. When I asked, the desk person rolled their eyes and murmured something about "an internal policy." I insisted and eventually got my kettle but those things are annoying. If the kettle comes with the Mercure then they should provide the kettle and the internal policy can go to the devil. That's one of the reasons people choose a particular hotel chain, like Mercure, over Joe's Hotel. I have to say in passing though that having stayed in Mercure hotels both in Italy and in France, the Italian Mercures are not at the same standard. The staff was mostly really good. Great pizza shop right next door if you want a snack.

Room Tip: I liked the street side room better. When they gave me a courtyard side room for a few days some idi...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Australia
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Not near the centre of Turin by any means, this hotel nonetheless offers very affordable accommodation at a decent standard, just not a 4 star one. The drop off zone is basically non existent, if more than two cars are using it you have to drive around the block to find a park and walk back to the hotel with luggage. Staff at reception were courteous and spoke good English, I would have expected more help with bags and directions as far as using their parking lot, being a 4 start hotel. Also to go to your room there are some steps to climb and I would have liked the offer to help with bags. Rooms are good, not big but clean. Don't open your balcony door if your room is facing C.so Regina Margherita as the smog and dirt will get in. Also, if you have a room on that side you will wake up with the first tram in the morning (at around 5:45 am), the tracks are right in front. At 65 euro/night I'll use it again but will ask for a room at the back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple