“Very sad and tired but in a good location”
Review of Dogana Vecchia

Dogana Vecchia
Ranked #89 of 130 Hotels in Turin
Reviewed November 8, 2013

We were a bit disappointed as this hotel claimed to be a 3 star. It was nice to think that we walked the halls that Mozart had walked when he stayed here all those years ago but the place really looks like it needs a bit of a dusting, sprucing up and freshening up. We had a large room on the 1st floor looking onto the street so we were able to let some fresh air in. But t-he outdoor shutters looked like they hadn't been cleaned since Mozart's stay. When we got to the room we noticed a puddle of water on the bathroom floor and coming into the bedroom. Called reception who suggested it probably just hadn't been dried properly after the clean. Fortunately the lady that came to have a look called the maintenance man who found that the hand basin was leaking quite a lot and he was able to fix it. The bathroom had several cracked tiles which meant there was some mould in these areas. The whole place just didn't have the feeling of being as clean an we expect a 3 star hotel to be. The breakfast room was beautiful but I don't think the seats have been re-upholstered since Mozart's stay. The selection of food was good but wondered if the same stuff was put out each day.
All in all quite expensive for what it is but the location is very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JaneBR09

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel is 500 years old and once had very famous guests such as Mozart, Verdi and Napoleon Bonaparte. I wondered if their ghosts would once in awhile visit their old "stomping grounds". The ambience of Mozart is everywhere in the hotel. I was so impressed with the dining room with its sculptured and painted ceiling.

Pros:
Very nice breakfast buffet. Staff is constantly cleaning the tables and replenishing food items.

Friendly and helpful front desk staff, especially Giovanni and the porter. Wish I could remember the porter's name because he deserves so much credit.

I was loaned an adapter to use for my laptop. A different type is needed for Italy.
Excellent Internet

You can't beat the location. Close to restaurants, shopping and historic sights.

Comfortable bed and bedding. Sometimes the mattress would slide a little because there is a piece of plywood under it. That was not a problem. I just slid the mattress back to where it belonged.

My room had solid wooden window-doors that kept out light or were very nice to open for fresh air. If you opened them, it could be noisy during the day. Truly, I thought they were a nice touch and made me feel the historic value of this hotel.

Furnishings were lovely. Floor was wood. I loved the soft blue used in decorating the room. Even the desk chair was upholstered. I could work on my laptop very comfortably.

Bathroom with tiled wall (some tiles had flowers on them which was a nice touch).
Bidet in bathroom.
Towels were not scratchy (they have been at many hotels on my trip).
There were slippers if you needed them and other amenities that would have been appreciated if I had needed them.

Air Conditioning worked very well.

Mini-bar with average prices as in other hotels.

There is an elevator that works very well.

Large closet with drawers and hanging space.

Key is left at desk when you leave the hotel. Be sure to remember that you left it there. Once I got to my room and had to go back down to the lobby to get my key.

Cons;
Doors slam in hallway. They are heavy doors and guests don't take the time to close them quietly. So even though your room is quiet, the hallway is not. Maybe a sign would help as you enter the hallway would remind the guests to quietly close their doors.
Lighting in hall way comes on when you enter however, I wish that it would light the halls when you open the door because you step out into darkness until the lights come on.

Television worked well however, there is supposed to be an English channel. It never was available. Instead there was another program in Italian.

Shower doors were plastic and do not open very wide.

There was only 1 outlet in my room to plug in my computer. It was on the wall across from my desk. I had to step over it to use the bathroom however, this was really not a problem. I was careful not to trip on the power cord.

The Hotel Dogana Vecchia is a lovely 3 Star hotel. I would stay there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank PhyllisD534
Reviewed October 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed a couple of nights in this Hotels, with 2 kids. The good : excellent location, you can go everywhere walking, the breakfast was very good, the people working there were helpful. The Bad : housekeeping was questionable with quite some dust everywhere. We had the misfortune of getting a room on the street, the noise level was really high. In my room, the furniture look really dated, the beds squeak horribly every time someone was moving; You need 6-7 minutes before the water gets hot...then it's boiling (what a waste). The wifi works only if you stand by the door.
All in all I have been quite disappointed by the hotel itself, the price is not cheap and you would expect a little more comfort (beds, dual pane window, etc.) at that range. if it wasn't for the location and the breakfast, I would not recommend it.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed October 16, 2013

having stayed in this Hotel several times ,was very, very disappointed to be shunted into the back annexe into a miserable apology of a rooom , sort of Hotel terminus, circa 1950!. Wifi hardly reached us. Reception staff not at all interested and to add insult to injury at breakfast, in their large empty open space the staff tried to oblige us to take a small corner table so they didn't have to walk so far!! we could have been alerted to the change of room but no, just had to accept it having arrived at 9pm!! no apology, no nothing! Just a pity that the Hotel Liberty changed its location as that was always a very nice place to stay

Room Tip: dont bother
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank lagrsp
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Nice hotel in the middle of historical center of beautiful Turin. The location of this hotel is great and there is a parking available. Our room was nice, old fashioned manner, and the bathroom was contemporary. Parking is a bit expensive. The staff at the hotel are friendly, and generally I had a very good stay there. The breakfast room was one of the loveliest most atmospheric rooms. All in all, a very nice hotel conveniently situated for Torino's tourist experiences!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sharma C
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Nice hotel in the middle of historical center of beautiful Turin.
Good service, very clean, impressive old style interior with many elements related to Mozart.
Very good value ratio.
What could be improved is choice of the breakfast. Being in Italy you would expect a variety of fresh bread and better choice of fruits. A lot of room for improvments here.
Summarizing, worth to stay in.

Room Tip: Room 319 very quiet with nice just refurbished bathroom
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lucas-Carioca
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The location of this hotel is great and there is a parking available. The rooms are spacious and clean but no luxury. The staff at the reception was very courteous and helpful. However, with such an historic hotel (among its guests Mozart, Napoleon, etc.), they could do more with the decoration, ambiance, etc. to improve its charm and attractiveness.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple