“Mind boggling market”

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Mind boggling market”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Whatever you do in Turin, don't miss this mother of all street markets. The clothes and such are not up to much, but the array of fruit and vegetables, fish and fowl, meat and cheese and bread etc is not to be believed. From early morning to late afternoon, 6 days a week.
Perfect for a stroll or a shop...but be sure to keep an eye on what goes into your shopping bag as the most photogenic are at the front of the stall and who knows what lurks behind.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank nonamama

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Turin, Italy
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“Good bargain marketplace, but beware of pickpocketers”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

In an age of crisis, many low income families, in particular elderly people, come to this central market to get good vegetables and food for very reasonable prices. In Porta Palazzo you will also find some very old and nice shops selling seeds or liquors, or tissues.
Be informed that pickpocketers, smugglers and drug addicts act their worst habits in the nearby area.

Visited May 2013
2 Thank Tiranno
Turin, Italy
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“pay attention!!!”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

nice fresh fruits, fish and vegetables....BUT pay attention to pick pockers! a lot of people who doesn't work go there to offer/sell things to tourists...say NO!!!

Visited June 2012
7 Thank Vanz4
Malta
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 86 helpful votes
“Al Mercato - big way”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

The only regret in visiting the Porta Palazzo Market is to be on holiday and not actually loaded in shopping bags to fill from the fruit and vegetable stalls of the colourful market to take home. The market certainly gives you the idea of nature’s bounty and the stall-vendors make the most of it. It is reputed to be the biggest of open air markets of Europe and it looks it. Business is plentiful and the place is simply teeming with people, tourists and locals alike, adding to the liveliness of the enormous Piazza della Republica full of real colour. If you can’t buy enough of the fruit you will certainly be tempted to sample some of it or perchance to preserve the memory of it in photos. The indoor market is also worth visiting for its fresh meats and bakeries.

Visited December 2012
3 Thank Ray V
Bonneville, France
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Gawking galore”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

I got off the bus at the mercato yesterday and was told "meet us over there in three hours". I froze. I looked every which way. I had already lost my sense of whereever that "there" was. I felt like I was in one of those movies where the camera zooms out of its focus on a person and it's spiraling around and around... I spun in circles, futilely trying to get some sense of direction. The harried look on my face must have caught the attention of the practiced shoppers I was with, who grabbed my arm and pulled me along with them.

Needless to say, this market is MASSIVE. Those creepy kid leashes would actually be justified at the Mercato di Porta Palazzo.

I tried to play the eye spy game but every time I'd spot something - a random pig's foot, a heated haggling about prices, some never before seen fruit - I'd get distracted by the corner of my eye! Because one clementine stand doesn't suffice, there are six (that I could count). And yes, just clementines. Same principle goes for every single item you could possibly imagine from shoes to mops to salami.

However, the quality of what's being sold. If I lived in Turin, I'd buy basic household items and lots and lots of food, but that's about it.

Visited December 2012